cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions about the ASUS ROG ARES II

skywalker311
Level 8
It almost time to buy my graphic cards for my new buid. I'm going to do either SLI or CROSSFIRE.
Will be buying two cards. I was going with either the ASUS GTX680-DC2T or ASUS MATRIX-HD7970-P.
So I started looking at AMD cards and they do seem to be right there with NVIDIA.
Especially if amd would get there act togther on there drivers. I'm also doing a custom water cooling setup.
So I thought about getting the ASUS ROG ARES II what I wanted to know. Does it already have crossfire built in since, it has a dual gpu. Next thing is can I take the water cooler lines off and attach it to my custom water cooling setup. That would be cool if i could. For some reason AMD water cooling stuff look much better then intel and nvidia.
But that my opinion.
Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.
13 REPLIES 13

oldbrave
Level 9
When installed the Ares II will show up as crossfired video cards.
Yes you can remove the factory water cooling, but to my knowledge no-one makes after market water blocks for it .
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

skywalker311
Level 8
For the water cooling what I wanted to do was leave as it is. First drain the coolent out. Then open the card up and undo the black hoses on the water blocks and change it to red hose that I'm using in my water build then add it to my custom loop.
Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.

skywalker311
Level 8
What I was wanting to do was, first off take the two hoses off the cooler itself.
Then open the graphic card and take just the hoses of the water block and attach my red hose on the water blocks that they have alreay installed on the card or just leave the graphic card alone and take the hoses off the water cooler.
Then add a coupler to the black hoses that are attach to the graphic card and add it to my water cooling setup. Tell me what you think,
Here a link of the coupler So you can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2285/ex-tub-24/38_ID_UV_Reactive_Leakproof_Coupler.html?tl=g30c427...

Zka17
Level 16
Well, if that worth it for you... with an $1500 card... - you still would have the air-cooling on the memory and VRMs... which will seriously limit the OC potential compared to what already this card can do...

Granger
Level 10
Check out Vamporas thread on the subject HERE

With the "stock" cooling on the ARES II, he says it doesn't go over 34° when benchmarking and it idles at 29°

Apparently, the hoses come off pretty easy too 😉

Granger wrote:
Check out Vamporas thread on the subject HERE

With the "stock" cooling on the ARES II, he says it doesn't go over 34° when benchmarking and it idles at 29°

Apparently, the hoses come off pretty easy too 😉

Yeah, that "stock" cooling can handle up to 600 Watts of heat. Pretty damn good for a 120mm system eh? 😛

skywalker311
Level 8
I'm not going to air cool it (if I get it). I was just think since it already has the water block on both gpu. I could just take the hoses off the cooler itself and get that coupler and a couple of clamps and just add it to the custom loop. I dont see why it would not work. I've got alot of room in my phantom 820 that I just order.

Zka17
Level 16
It could work, yes... but doing that you're voiding your warranty - it's a card of $1500!!! (if you can get it for that price anymore) The point is that the Ares II has a very good cooling as out of the box...

If you really want the graphics cards hooked up in your loop, then just go with some less expensive ones and get a waterblock for them... - or, as I already told you, wait for the new series cards...

skywalker311
Level 8
Newegg is gettting a few more in and that be it. I would have to jump on it. I just dont know $1500. It sucks cause I can wait and see about the titan or if amd bring out a 8000 series card. I hate to wait. I'm on my first build that I ever did. It running a 2.5GHz quad core on a 780i motherboard with 8GB of ram and a EVGA GTX 260 OC card with a 650 watts corsiar tx power supply.
Dont this bring back fond memories. lol