cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my 8350 just not capable of 5.0ghz?

Jaysvfx
Level 9
First off, I am on a high end custom water loop for cooling 2x120mm RAD + 3x120mm RAD. See image below.

I am 100% stable at 4.816ghz with the settings below

Crosshair V Formula (non Z)

Multi - x20
Bus - 240mhz
HT Link - 2600
CPU Volts - 1.48v

Socket Temp Idle - 32*c
Socket Temp Load - 51*c
Core Temp idle - 20*c
Core Temp Load - 44*c

CPU/NB Volts - 1.35v
NB Freq - 2600
Memory Patriot Viper XTreme (Intel memory, I know) - 1866mhz (native) See image below for AUTO timings (I know nothing about memory timings and control)

All of the recommended settings in BIOS have been disabled etc per RAJA's tutorial.

Ive been overclocking for years and I'm surprised I can only pull 600mhz overclock above TURBO on this 8350 when my 8120 got over 1.3ghz overclock.

I dont know what else to try. If I add anymore FSB, I get cores that will fail during Prime95. When I try to do multiplier overclocking, my comp wont even POST. Im dead serious, even if I add just x2 more multi, no matter the voltages etc, the PC WILL NOT POST.

So, what I have concluded, this CPU just wont go past this 4.8 wall and HATES CPU multiplier overclocking

Things I have tried to gain 5.0 stability.

Upped voltage as high as 1.53v
Reduced Multiplier and added FSB (no POST)
Reduced NB and HT freqs to stock
Reduced Memory clock to 1333mhz

What would you do to try and hit this evasive 5.0ghz?
38 REPLIES 38

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Which Mobo are you using and what BIOS?

Sorry, could have sworn I put it but apparently I didnt.

Crosshair V Formula (non Z)

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ok cool, have you tried pulling 2 sticks of RAM?

Jaysvfx
Level 9
I have not. Once I pull 2 sticks, what would your next step be if it were your system? Step up the FSB more?

Have any suggestions as to why Multiplier overclocking is practically non existent on this chip?

Jaysvfx
Level 9
No dice, instant system lockup at 5.016ghz at 1.5v and 1.35v CPU/NB

Chino
Level 15

chrsplmr
Level 18
Ok .. call me simple .. and having no fear, in fact enjoying being laughed with ..
did you start out basic ?? read to read > 5 ... and typerate from T1 to T2 ???
I have also found amd really likes bus 234 ... just say'n.

Edit: sorry there brotherChino .. didn't mean to step over you ..
[[ .. you are better versed in this than I .. ]] was off looking up
FlanK3R's results @ hwbot for some clues ... he hit 8ghz on Ln2 ..
in his own words 'Vishera has love for the FlanK'...
[see stickys in crosshair section].c.

I'll try the settings mentioned by chino but it scares me since the voltage is so close to the 1.55v death margins isn't it?! I don't know why my CPU hates multiplier bumps but as soon as I get home ill try it!

1.55 v is Not death for the Vishera FX 8350. It can be 1.57 or even 1.58 for a considerable period of time without damage if you core temps are controlled . I wouldn't recommend it for 24/7 use ,but to validate a stable overclock, it is not an issue that should cause loss of sleep.