cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESATA and Rampage IV Formula

Obsidianaura
Level 7
I was looking at the ESATA ports and wondering if I could use them. I've never tried ESATA before so am curious on how it actually works

I've already got 6 SATA devices connected to the motherboard how would adding an ESATA drive or 2 interfere with the other drives or is it like adding a USB drive?
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
I use eSata with a hard drive caddy. Quicker than USB3. Allows easy file transfer what more is there? 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
I used the ESATA too (diff mobo), I have an USB & ESATA 2.5" enclosure, works great. But if you want to plug it in with the computer powered up, you'd better enable "hot plug" for that port in BIOS. And when plugging it in, if yours uses an AC power adapter, always connect power first. Otherwise, you need to connect the ESATA cable first (as it will default to USB if you plug in USB first with the computer on). FYI.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.