Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

1. Remove all the components from your motherboard and disconnect all the cables.
    2. Remove your motherboard from your case and put it on top of the box that it came in.
    3. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
    4. Insert the battery back into place.
    5. Install your CPU with its stock heatsink.
    6. Install one stick of RAM into the DIMM_A2 slot.
    7. Install your HD7950 into the first PCIe slot and connect the PCIe power cables.
    8. Connect the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables.
    9. Power up your system with the Start button.

Report back with your findings. Does the fan for the stock heatsink spin up and does it stay on? Any error on the QLEDs? Beeps? And which of the 4 QLEDs beside the 24 pin power connector stays lit?

ROG Member Array

Ok, so I haven't done my bench test yet, I'm waiting, I took the bios batt out about 5 minutes ago. I went ahead and inspected the contacts on the DIMM's and DIMM slots and PCI-E/GPU contacts as well as the pins on the cpu and it all checks out so far as visuals are concerned.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam E. View Post
    These boards only have one lock on the ram sockets. Kind of threw me for a loop at first. After I inserted the ram I poked in there with a flash light to make sure they were in all the way and secure.
    Even the DIMM slots have only one lock, you do need to hear/feel two clicks!!! One of either end of the modules... otherwise they may not be correctly seated...

ROG Member Array

Well, I don't think there is much point to a bench test, I believe I could have found my problem. This is the EATX 24 pin connector. It's completely missing a pin. I never paid to much attention to them but I don't recall ever having a empty pin... I confirmed with the user manual for the PSU, it's PIN 15, described as COM AWG=16.
    Last edited by Adam E.; 02-22-2013 at 01:26 AM.

ROG Member Array

Correction. Its pin #19.

ROG Member Array

So Tiger Direct is sending me an advance replacement and I'll be shipping this back to them tomorrow. The new one should be here via UPS Saturday (if they run) or Monday. I'm beginning to second guess my analysis because even the photo of the 24 pin on the side of the PSU's box shows that pin missing... Any input?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

Well, I don't think there is much point to a bench test,

. Any input?
    Yes you RMA a PSU for nothing and you ask for help but don't fallow the recommendation. Even if I build PC for 33 years, I always test my boards on the bench before put them in the case, this is the basic. Actually sometime I use an old motherboard tray to do so, but as Chino said the box will do fine

Attachment 0Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	17477
    Last edited by Area 66; 02-22-2013 at 02:20 AM.

ROG Member Array

I ask for help and I noticed that as I was about to plug the PSU in to the motherboard while it's sitting on the box. I do take the recommendations, but thank you for the assumption and the information. I usually do bench tests but getting the items shipped to me a piece at a time I thought I would save time and put things together as they came. The bench came up with the same results. 10 different sticks of ram used one at a time in each ram slot with the same results each and every time. I will cancel the RMA with Tiger, no harm, no foul.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array skellattarr PC Specs
    skellattarr PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair viii hero
    ProcessorRyzen 9 3950x
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 64GB 4X16 3200MHZ
    Graphics Card #1rog strix gtx 1080
    Sound Cardcreative sound blaster ae-5
    Monitoracer 28inch 4k
    Storage #1Samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/Mushkin Reactor 1tb ssd
    Storage #23x 3tb hhd/segate 10TB drive
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H115i
    CaseThermaltake veiw 71 case
    Power Supplycorsair 1200w
    Keyboard Corsair k95 rgb
    Mouse corsair m65 pro rgb
    Mouse Pad corsair mm800 rgb polaris
    Headset/Speakers logitech 5.1
    OS windows 10 pro

did you protect the board from static charge by grounding your self? it does not take much of a static charge to damage a component.
    amd ryzen 9 3950x
    CROSSHAIR Viii hero
    Corsair Hydro Series H115i
    G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
    asus rog strix gtx 1080
    TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
    corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
    thermal take view 71 case

ROG Member Array

Yes I did. I wear a nifty little wristband that attaches to the case for just that purpose. It's a DoA board. When I purchased the motherboard from NewEgg it was an "open box" which normally isn't a problem. I would have ordered a new one from Tiger but they were out of stock and the taxes where I live from Newegg would have exceeded my budget (I promised the woman :/ ) So after contacting ASUS for a RMA on the boad, they informed me that the board had already been RMA'd and was sent back for customer damage... That's not what a open box is. It is not a RMA that has been fixed, that's considered a "Refurb" not a Open Box. So I then call Newegg and they are giving me a full refund including shipping for their mistake. This board should have never been sold in the first place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast