cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ROG build problems

Adam_E_
Level 7
First let me list the hardware with model numbers.

Azza Genesis 9000 case
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard
AMD FX-8350 CPU
Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 1866mghz 32gb RAM (Model # PV332G186C0QK) Not on the QCVL
Replacing the Viper 3 DDR3 with Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz that IS on the QCVL today as soon as it gets here.
Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Twin X
2x OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP edition 120gb SSD's.
Misc WD 500gb HDD's.
Ultra LSP750 ATX PSU.

Now, the problems I am having is the system hangs on Q code 10 "PCE core started" and the DRAM LED blinks. I assume this is probably either that the board is not compatible with the ram (we will find out in a couple of hours) or the DIMM slots are DoA on the board. I have already used the ROG port to update the bios to the latest release. I updated twice just to make sure it didn't get a bad write the first time. I also reset the bios by removing all of the components from the mobo and removed the BIOS battery for about 10 minutes. If I press the RAM OK button, the VGA LED then starts flashing and the DRAM LED becomes solid, but it's still hung on Qcode 10. I just wanted to confirm that using ram the system is not compatible with would cause these problems with this board.
23 REPLIES 23

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers community, Adam.

When your RAM gets there, test the system with one stick of RAM. Insert it into the DIMM_A2 slot.

Adam_E_
Level 7
Thanks Chino. 🙂 That's what I had planned to do. I'm just waiting on that big brown truck now. I have to say, I have never been so excited about a motherboard before. The only downside is that I have never bothered to pay attention to QCVL's before and it's never been a problem. This is the first computer of many that I have ever had a compatibility issue. I won't lie, it's a little off putting. I do, however, understand the list is there for a reason and it's not the fault of either ASUS or Patriot, if it doesn't work it doesn't work and that's all there is to it.

Ok, so I put one stick of the Corsair in A2 and it popped up Qcode 50 and One long followed by two short beeps for no memory detected.

skellattarr
Level 10
my friend is using ram that is not on the QCVL and its working out good for her. its mushkin some time you get lucky.
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

skellattarr wrote:
my friend is using ram that is not on the QCVL and its working out good for her. its mushkin some time you get lucky.

Hi man have not seen you on tech power up lately. I just posted a message regarding price gouging by Asus on the Crosshairs V Formula Z.
The price has gone up everywhere by $50. That is not justifiable at all. It is time for people to send emails complaining about the ripoff to Asus. They are imitating the banksters now. Well I say screw them. I was seriously planning to upgrade my Cross hairs V to a Formula Z. But I will not accept highway robbery.

os2wiz wrote:
Hi man have not seen you on tech power up lately. I just posted a message regarding price gouging by Asus on the Crosshairs V Formula Z.
The price has gone up everywhere by $50. That is not justifiable at all. It is time for people to send emails complaining about the ripoff to Asus. They are imitating the banksters now. Well I say screw them. I was seriously planning to upgrade my Cross hairs V to a Formula Z. But I will not accept highway robbery.

amazon had a few that was normal price but they are out now. i think that if there is a supply in demand then they will take advantage of it.
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

Adam_E_
Level 7
I restarted the machine and now the DRAM led stays solid, no more beep code and it only shows Qcode 10. I tried different sticks and configurations of ram and it does nothing.

Adam_E_
Level 7
It does the same thing no matter what ram slots I put the memory in. It's like it doesn't even realize the ram is there. Is there perhaps a jumper that could effect this? As I said, I updated to the 1302 bios as I'm using a FX-8350. I checked my ATX PSU cables, they're all secure, the 24, 8 and 4 pins are all plugged in snug. I even plugged the Molex into the motherboard for the EZ power slot.