ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Vicodin's Avatar

Just upgraded Asus G55vw w/ Nvidia 660m to Nvidia Driver v 314.07

Hello,
    I think I am a bit confused on driver updates for the Asus G55 and G75. I have seen some people talking about how you have to use the Asus updates for the video drivers. I have had no problems when I update mine from the Nvidia website. I just updated my Asus G55vw for the second time, this time to the 314.07 driver from Nvidia and it is working great! The main game I play is League of Legends. Before updating to this driver, I noticed when in large team fights my FPS would drop from 60 and fluctuate between 40 and 60 momentarily. It no longer does this. Stays solid at 60 with everything on very high at all times now! Seems to be performing much better! Can someone fill me in on what people are referring to with Asus updates? Thank you!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

i guess the affected are the machines with gpu 670mx; not us who have the 660m or 670m.

New ROGer Array

yep, i saw some people post, the driver are not able to use in G75VX.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vicodin View Post
    Hello,
    I think I am a bit confused on driver updates for the Asus G55 and G75. I have seen some people talking about how you have to use the Asus updates for the video drivers. I have had no problems when I update mine from the Nvidia website. I just updated my Asus G55vw for the second time, this time to the 314.07 driver from Nvidia and it is working great! The main game I play is League of Legends. Before updating to this driver, I noticed when in large team fights my FPS would drop from 60 and fluctuate between 40 and 60 momentarily. It no longer does this. Stays solid at 60 with everything on very high at all times now! Seems to be performing much better! Can someone fill me in on what people are referring to with Asus updates? Thank you!
    FWIW I use Nvidia official drivers with my G55... On 310.90 at the moment.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array UnAimed's Avatar

I always use the official drivers from the Nvidia website and personally have never had any problems.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post
    I always use the official drivers from the Nvidia website and personally have never had any problems.
    Yup, the official line from Nvidia seems to say for a higher "guarantee" use the drivers provided by the manufacturer but thank, thank, thankfully since with ROG laptops we can use the official Nvidia drivers, so far, no issues for 660M.