cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had kind of an odd experience with my Asus G55vw

Vicodin
Level 10
Hello,

So I have had my Asus G55 for about a month now, and it has been great. Not a single issue with this beast. I don't play very demanding games. I mostly play League of Legends, Counterstrike Source/GO, and Borderlands 2 here and there. So my CPU and GPU haven't seen temps over 50c and my fans are so quiet I wondered if they worked at one time. Well I was on steam tonight, and came across the game "Worms". I am sure many of you have heard of this. So I remembered how fun it was to play and bouht the latest one. Well about 10 mins into the game I hear my fan pick up a bit, for the first time ever. Then, I decide to check out my temps, 65c. I started laughing. Thought to myself, "how could such a low end game make this thing break a sweat and when I play League of Legends, Counterstrike, etc, this thing is silent and cool?" I know 65c is perfectly normal and I get that. But when I play League of Legends for 5 hours and it is at 50c, makes me wonder how dafuq Worms can bring me to 65c after 10 mins. lol Maybe its a Windows 8 with an older game thing.
4 REPLIES 4

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Possibly the the latest "Worms" game is stressing the CPU or GPU more than the other games. If may not be graphically intense, but if its CPU usage is very high, that would raise your temps. The other games you mentioned hit the CPU only slightly (even when they were published) and the GPU a good bit back then (not so much now).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Hat13
Level 7
when this happened, did you check which Fan picked up? was it the one on the right or left? right or left based on someone looking at the laptop from behind it
Gaming laptop: ASUS ROG G75VW| Intel Core I7-3610QM|12GB RAM|GTX670M 3 GB|FULL HD|Backlightkeyboard|256GB SSD|500 GB 7200 RPM
Ultrabook: Sony vaio Z2 (2012): Intel Core I7-2620M @2.7-3.3Ghz|8GB RAM|13.1in FULL HD|Backlightkeybaord|256GB SSD|External Blueray Burner and Radeon HD 6650
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2|Quadcore 1.4Ghz|2GB ram|96GB Storage|8MP Camera|Super AMO-LED Screen
Tablet: Apple Ipad 3
External Hard disks: 3TB WD MY BOOK|8TB SEAGATE

Hat13 wrote:
when this happened, did you check which Fan picked up? was it the one on the right or left? right or left based on someone looking at the laptop from behind it

Looking at the screen it was clearly the right fan. So from the back, the left.

The explanation is quite simple really. Worms is not as well optimized as Counter strike or League of Legends therefore it requires more computational power to achieve the same in game performance. This just comes down to bad/quick coding. An example would be Grand Theft Auto 4 port for the PC. It runs horribly on computers but great on consoles because the developers did a half baked job at porting it from the console without much optimization. If its an old game it probably needs to emulate which also requires a lot of power.