cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New board won't post

dc2012
Level 7
Ok here's the issue:
I have a brand new Crosshair V board. I installed a cooler master 750w psu, asus hd 6870, and 1100T processor.(All of these components are new) The board won't post. I can power it on and everything lights up and looks good, but no beep from the board and no signal to the monitor. the computer will continue to run. I tried uninstalling all the components but the video card, still no post and no beeps. Everything looks like it is operating fine, but it seems like the bios doesn't exist. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully this is an easy fix. Thanks in advance.
Crosshair V Formula, 8GB dual channel g.skill ripjaws x 1600, Phenom II 1100T, ASUS EAH Radeon 6870 , Cooler Master GX RS750 PSU.
20 REPLIES 20

Kipper
Level 10
Don't take this the wrong way but you did not mention RAM, hopefully you did install that and if so what flavor.

Make sure you have all your PSU connections seated correctly and don't forget the CPU 8-pin power cable.

Sorry, but its not easy to troubleshoot without a lot more information.

1. CHECK CMOS BATTERY (HEY, IT HAPPENS) IS IT DEAD?
2. CLEAR WITH THE ONBOARD JUMPERS (IN THE BOOK)
3. INSTALL 1 RAM STICK (LANE 3 WORKED FOR ME BUT I HAVE
READ OTHER THREADS THAT FOUND SUCCESS...IF IT RESPONDS YOU
CAN SET IT UP THEN IN BIOS FOR THE REST..ECT...
4. HAVE YOU RESEATED THE CPU??

DOES IT LIGHT? ANY LIGHTS?
DOES IT LIGHT UP AND STOP ON THE A RED LIGHT (LOCATED NEAR THE POWER
PLUG IN.......
IS YOU DRIVE IDE??? NOT THE DEFAULT...YOU WILL HAVE TO COAX IT TO THE
BIOS....CHANGE THAT....

BE PATIENT..THIS BOARD HAS A LEARNING CURVE..SORT OF SPEAK..
GOOD LUCK.... WORRY NOT.... IF ALL ELSE FAILS..
ASUS STANDS BY YOU... RMA... BUT I THINK ALL THESE BOARD WILL BOOT..
I HAVE COAXED TWO NOW..... MUCH HAIR AROUND MY DESK....I HAVE BEEN
REWARDED WITH EASY 4GHZ CLOCKS...SLAM'N DX11, EXTEME SETTINGS..OR ULTRA
(DEPENDING ON THE GAME).....GAMING.... rog on.c.

Ram is gskill ripjaw x pc3 12800 4gbx2. I did remeber all the power connectors but I haven't reseated the CPU. Will try that and post back.
Crosshair V Formula, 8GB dual channel g.skill ripjaws x 1600, Phenom II 1100T, ASUS EAH Radeon 6870 , Cooler Master GX RS750 PSU.

Ok amd stock thermal paste sucks apparently (thought it would be decent on an 1100t) But after re-seating the cpu and putting in new artic silver I did get it to post. However, now it says the EC might be corrupted and to contact tech support on post. It does seem to be detecting everything as far as ram and drives go at this point. Is there an easy fix for this?

The board now refuses to boot just giving me beeps for RAM error. The DRAM diagnostic led stays lit. Power Supply was tested as good. Multiple sets of known working RAM on the QVL also did not fix the problem in any configuration on the board. Sending in for RMA.:mad:

Retired
Not applicable
I assume you tried the whole single memory modules and all that. One suggestion I might make if you haven't already is trying the Go Button. I had some problems with it stuck on the DRAM LED and pressing the Go Button cleared it right up. Worst case scenario, you got a lemon which is sad to see but it happens. As mentioned, I'm sure ASUS will take care of you.

With regards to the thermal paste...that's really not going to have much bearing on whether or not your system will POST. You can have no TIM and it should still work, not that you should do that but I'm just saying.

dc2012
Level 7
This time on boot the CPU diagnostic LED lit red. Also the CPU LED is showing orange, is it normal for the board to display the higher voltage setting before OCing it? I am going to try to reseat the CPU and I'll post back in a little bit.

Raja
Level 13
Make sure the OC Button is not pressed "On". If that does not help then try an RMA.

-Raja

PLEASE...LET US KNOW THE OUTCOME HERE... I FOR ONE AM CURIOUS AS TO THE REPAIR???
I AM SURE MANY NEW COMERS TO ROG WARE WONDER ABOUT THE RMA PROCESS...WHEN IT IS
NECESSARY...AFTERALL,,, ITS A LOT OF MONEY TO TAKE OUT OF A BOX..AND NEED TO PLACE IN
ANOTHER BOX AND SHIP IT OFF TO ASUS LAND.

I WAS SHOCKED... AND IM AN OLD ASUS HEAD...AT THE TURN AROUND...WHEN FEDEX KNOCKED ON MY
DOOR AND I SAW THE ASUS TAPE ON THE BOX I THOUGHT THIS CANT BE MY BOARD (c4e not my c5f)..
and there she was in all her glory......had her lil red rog logo exposed...hehehhee...
ok....I LOVE HER..however,,,she was damaged in shipping...i emailed the original rep @ vip.asus.com/forum..
walked out to the kitchen to get a coffee and when i came back the new RMA was in my inbox...
and may i add....thank you asus/Aaron for that............if ya cant eat it or rog it, leave it on the porch.c.