i7 3930k
Asus RIVE
64 Gb Dominator Platinum
Samsung SSD PRO 256gb
(2) WD 1tb caviar black
Blu-Ray drive
(2) MSI 7970
Win 7 64 Pro

Watercooled with 3 rads MCP 655 pump. 13 fans total. I utilize a PSU calculator and input all of my parts...PSU calculator suggested I need a PSU of 978w. I can get a corsair hx1050 for trade. Or should I get the 1200 instead. Im confused because I have posted same question in other forums and recieved mixed suggestions. I am not coming to ROG forums for advice. Thougths and ideas appreciated. thx
9 REPLIES 9

Zka17
Level 16
I would go with the AX1200/AX1200i... has higher efficiency rating than the HX series... - but if you're intending to push real hard that system, even 1200W may prove insufficient...

Heavy OC on the CPU and the two HD7970s will eat up that 1200W - I have a Seasonic X1250W and had to move the fans and pumps on a different PSU when started to push the two Matrix Platinums (3930k at 5.3GHz)...

So if my target is 4.8-5.0 ghz on the CPU and OC 7970, I should be fine with the AX1200i. Guess really need some clarification in what you mean by "Heavy OC".

Retired
Not applicable
Often i see other forums, recommend, 3 X7970 = 850w psu..

i like to believe that we got a higher level of competence in here

And you got the same answer, from me yesterday, that Zka is providing right now..

Retired
Not applicable
didnt i answered this same question yesterday?

Yes, u did. however recieved other opinions from friends and other forums. I just want to be sure. Yes, I am now leaning towards a higher PSU for my build. As you know planning in critical in building a rig...you know this.

Zka17
Level 16
Sorry, I should be more clear about that...

So, I had my 3930k at 5.3GHz (Vcore = 1.6V) and both Matrix HD7970 Platinums at 1300MHz on the GPU and 1850MHz on the VRAM (auto voltages)

Zka17
Level 16
850W for 3xHD7970s?! Well, it may be possible... but not for me... 😄

Granger
Level 10
You can't have overkill for the PSU, go for the biggest one you can get for your budget, that way, you have a solid base for anything else you want to do.
Because if you only need 900w and you have a 1300w PSU, you'll only use the 900w
But if you need 900w and you get a 1000w PSU, you have to take into account capacitor aging, which will give you a PSU that as it gets older, will pump out less watts 😉

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Avoid the new AX "i" series. Their have been serious issues across the web with coil whine, fan noise and the software control link not working properly. Even the non "i" AX is having issues. I lucked out on mine, but others are not so fortunate.