cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you satisfied with your G75?

supreme
Level 7
Hello everyone,

Ive been browsing this forum for a few months now, ever since i first laid my eyes upon them hunky ROG notebooks. Anyway, I am suffering deeply from this unsettling feeling as it seems from the mass amount of complaints and whatnot, the G75
seems to ring up all sorts of problems, and my problems is i want this badboy badly. I realize that although some of you
are unfortunate to have faulty G75's, how about the rest of the owners who silently dwell in this forum? Is this machine what my brochure claims it to be- an epic beast?

Im not a technology savvy person, dont know nuts about overclocking or Frames p/s, just a dude trying to play some games such as SKYRIM,BF3,Farcry 3, and even hopefully Crysis 3 , do a bit of Microsoft office for school projects and a bit of
web-browsing as well, and movies, haha. The whole bunch actually.

So here I humbly stand before you seeking all your own personal advice on your experience with this badboy and
if i should jump the gun or wait till mid-year in the hopes of a new version popping up.
(heard some rumors that Asus gonna release a new beast?)

So please, tell me your personal review of how well the G75 has served you in every aspect so far, and if you think
that it will serve my needs as mentioned above.
Currently residing in Asia, Singapore.

Thank you.
Supreme
13 REPLIES 13

HulkSmash
Level 8
It's an amazing machine, that will eat anything you throw at it...Crysis 3 runs on my overclocked GTX660m on almost everything high at 1080, I run Skyrim at ultra with ENB...I never had a single problem with my G75, and along with me are a lot of fellows in this forum. Yes there are a huge amount of problems on this forum regarding the G75, but keep in mind that you won't really go to a forum if you don't have a problem...Out of the millions out there, we have 100s in here with problems...so don't only take into consideration the issues you see here, take the fact that people that have problems will come here (the reason I came here in the first place, was just for some help with OC'ing since I never had any problems).
The only thing that truly does not work properly on this laptop, is the sound. After some driver research and some tweaking, mine sounds pretty ok, actually sounds really good to me, but it still has some issues...plus it should at least come tweaked from factory already ;). Taken the sound problem out, I 100% recommend it as a great buy. IDK about the new G series, so can't really give my opinion, but these are my 2 cents on the G75.

And welcome to the ROG forums! 😛

DRAKON
Level 7
Well I have G75VX. Can't really tell you if your particular games will run smoothly as I do not play them but here are some games that run on max details without a problem and I haven't OC or anything:

1. StarCraft 2
2. Diablo 3
3. League of Legends ( not a surprise here )
4. Dota 2

As for the satisfaction itself. The look is great. The build quality is a little bit under my expectations but I compare it with VAIO laptops and their build quality is without remarks. Their design, scratch resistance, etc. are another story. So in general good build quality but not exceptional. The mat screen is great. The wrist rest is something I really like. No heat problems at all for my hands. The keyboard in my opinion has great layout and button design. OS and software problems all over the place but all of them are solvable. Just hoped ASUS would do a little bit more in that direction and we should look for external vendor's products. I personally do not find any sound issues. Maybe I just do not expect so much from laptop but for me it's pretty good. Of course most of the time I use headphones 🙂 The size is a little bit problematic as you need 18 inch laptop case in order to fit this big boy when you want to move it around. But if you are going for more of DTR ( Desktop replacement ) that's not an issue.

As for the problems you read about in general there are always defect machines. Unfortunately from what I hear the warranty service is not great ( maybe I'm wrong but based on what I read around here this would be my conclusion ). To be honest I haven't used warranty service so far so I can't give you my personal experience as a reference.

Is it worth it's money - in my opinion it does. Would I buy another RoG laptop - so far I can say definitely yes.

Should you wait for the next generation RoG laptops - totally depends on you. There is always something better coming so at some point you should say this is it, otherwise you wouldn't buy anything but just wait.

supreme
Level 7
Thanks for the great input guys, I had a gut feeling I could count on the G75, BTW, is it possible to clean the fans after prolonged hours of use?

rewben
Level 13
hi @Supreme, first you can start by reading this (comments from @DRAKON and @HulkSmash were fair, too). from your post, my guess is that you're a pure consumer type of user (who expects things to work as advertised, and depends on official tech supports to maintain their products via warranty).

i know those stories you've read sounded scary, but if you've done your part as a consumer within the allowed time windows, you can minimize the risks to get the defective ones. also, although most of us here are not fan boys, most visitors thought we are. so i suggest you just treat our comments as reference, please go else where to get more objective insights about g-series.

1. before you buy: you should start reading buying guides published by third parties. most of these guides stress on one thing: your common usage. please compare your requirements with what a g75 can offer; and find out if there are better options that better suit what you actually want, then you can choose to go for it, or not. g-series laptops have their own strengths, but also their weaknesses. they are not the best breeds of all options out there, but they fit into a category where price and performance is more balanced.

2. if you chose to buy one: find a good retailer. if the retailer is not happy with what you're going to do (see below), don't engage and find another one.

before the return window is over, please do a thorough physical check and system tests with your new purchase, based on your common usage:
a) cpu and gpu temperatures after long hours of gaming;
b) display panel (for dead/stuck pixels);
c) ethernet/wifi/bluetooth connectivity;
c) usb ports;
d) hdmi/minidisplay ports; and
e) everything else that you use your laptop daily.

from what i've learned, when the unit worked well from day one (especially the physical hardware components), it is very likely to be fine for a long time (until you decide to mess with it). if some components are not right from the start, there will be more coming along the way. so make sure you get a working one.

3. after-sale tech support: now, the quality of work from the service centers varies from one to another. the good news is we have the ROG community that can probably offer you more practical assistance (and solve your common system problems) before you have the need to engage service centers. even if you need to send the unit in, don't panic :D; some of the good guys here can lend you a hand if you needed them.

by the way my 8-month-old g55 is good; no problem so far.

DRAKON
Level 7
Actually there are fan filters that are supposed to be cleaned. They are just over the fans so you have access to the fans also. In any case the access to them is just great. There are only 2 screws for 2 compartment that are opened for each fan.

what is ENB?

My opinion probably won't matter too much since I am still in the learning phase when it comes these ROG computers because the 75VW is the first one that I have ever owned. But I have been in love with this computer since I got it a few days ago. Again, I still have a ton to learn about it because I have always had some cheap generic Gateway. But that's what I came here for. I have not found any issues with this PC yet but that may be because I haven't really dived into everything yet. As it stands right now, I would recommend this notebook to anyone. I actually got mine at best buy for about 100 bucks cheaper too because they were getting the newest model and put a discount on this one.

HulkSmash
Level 8
ENB, is basically a mod that changes the game's lighting system, adds SSAO and "corrects" contrast/saturation/ETC to the game...
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15105

c_man
Level 11
No idea how long I had this one (G75VW). Maybe one year soon.

I have a topic around here with reasons why one should buy a G series (55/75 those that I had so far) and those reasons still apply.

There are some faulty units, that's for sure. And there are some problems with mostly all of them, that will bug you a little like those crappy lines and flickering.

I can say right now I am happy with it. Even with the Fermi GPU. It OC nicely, does not heat up a lot, games look good and play smooth (latest Far Cry and Crysis in progres).

For some parts of the world there are better options if you want more power, but I have not seen one as cool as this. Win some ...