cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I fixed my asus g75vw noise

KirIvlev
Level 7
Hello guys, my first post...

So a week ago I finally bought an asus g75vw which cost me around 2000$ 🙂 It's clearly a piece of art.
The only problem that has been bugging me the whole week was a humming noise like mmmm.....mmmmm....mmmmm .
At first I thought that it was due to the CPU and GPU fans. But no... apart from air sound the fans generate another kind of noise which can only be heard if the enviroment is silent. That humming noise almost drove me crazy and then I found the source of the bloody sound... it was one of the hard drives! My asus has two drives: one ssd hybrid and the other one is hitachi 7200rpm.
So i removed the hitachi drive and voila the humming noise no longer bothers me!

In case you've got this problem try my solution... happy to help
9 REPLIES 9

UnAimed
Level 9
Your drive might be defective because today's hard drives should be relatively quiet during normal operation. I suggest contacting Asus customer support to RMA the hard drive.

dstrakele
Level 14
Hitachi HDD's are normally somewhat noisier than other hard drives. I don't find this surprising, since ear protection is normally required for other Hitachi hardware: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/hitachi-ex8000-6-minin....

I think it may be a good explanation for other G75 users that report fan noise.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
if change other HDD back to two hdd, did you hear any sound?

If I put it back then the sound returns... so I left only one 750gb hdd which is enough.

I did a little research and some people have this whooshing sound even on big desktop hdds...

I think it may be a good explanation for other G75 users that report fan noise.

Exactly, because the noise sounds like it's a fan!

Pitcher1
Level 9
if change other HDD back to two hdd, did you hear any sound?

ben02
Level 9
does this hum from hdd only appear when fan is on?

ben02 wrote:
does this hum from hdd only appear when fan is on?

Hard to say because my fans are always on 🙂 But removing the hdd gets rid of the noise

ben02
Level 9
excuse the thread necromancery, just wanna check if removing one of the HDD fixes the humming for anyone else?
especially those who posted in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15325-Feedback-on-the-fan-situation-Asus-G75

i'm actually going to experiment with this myself, convenient since my 2nd HDD is empty anyway. so do you simply pull out the HDD and that's it? don't need to do anything on the software side?
and to put the HDD back in (same HDD, same laptop) you just physically connect the hardware, don't need to do anything else?

thanks for the help, obviously my first time, but i really want to try this fix.

WontonNoodle
Level 8
if only the 500gig+ SSD's were cheaper...

My G55 is so loud, and you're right, I think it's the HDD because it's loud even when I'm not gaming, and when I'm gaming it's not much louder than before.

ben02
Level 9
ok i tried removing HDD and the darn hum/buzz is still there. oh well, i didn't really think it would work...it only buzzes when fan(s) are on, so it's not the HDD and probably internal acoustics.