cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 AC adapter power requirements?

shakado
Level 7
What are is the minimum output for an ac adapter needed to power the g46 laptop? Want to see if I can replace that massive power brick with a smaller one from kensington.
7 REPLIES 7

JwPwns
Level 10
as long as the output on the adapter is 19v and 9.5A and the adapter fits then it should work, i have been looking for something to replace mine too still searching for something that's close to or above 9.5a
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

Is that around 120w? If so then the Kensington 120w universal adapter might work. Found a couple on ebay. Dont know if there are compatible charger tips though.

shakado wrote:
Is that around 120w? If so then the Kensington 120w universal adapter might work. Found a couple on ebay. Dont know if there are compatible charger tips though.

The wattage or power delivered by an AC supply is the Volts it outputs multiplied by the amps of current pushed by the volts. So, if the G46 supply is rated at 19 V at 9.5 A, then this is a 19x9.5=180.5, or a ~180 Watt supply. I don't own a G46 but that seems awfully high: check the sticker on your current adaptor for the ratings.

Anyways, you can get *any* other DC supply, so long as a) its the same voltage, b) its total rated Watts is greater than or equal to your current one, and c) the polarity of the plug on the end is the same as your old one (i.e. if the hole in the centre of the plug end is "+" or positive, get one like that). You will not hurt the laptop by plugging in a supply with more Watts than what you have now, so long as the volts match. You may hurt the laptop (or more likely just overheat your adaptor) if you use a smaller wattage adaptor than your current one and you run heavy apps (like games) on your laptop. The laptop will not draw 300 Watts from 300 W adaptor if you plugged one in: it will only draw what it needs, so a 300 W would work identically well to a 180W one (but a 300W would be a monster adaptor!). But it will try and draw 150 Watts from a 120 Watt supply (for example, assuming that laptop is rated to use 150W), and thats a bad thing.

Be aware as well that using a higher wattage adaptor will save you power $$, because if the laptop only wants half of the adaptor's full rated power, then the adaptor is operating at 50%, usually its most efficient range (i.e. the most power from the wall socket is actually converted to DC, and the least is wasted as heat).

Alot of people (me too) use higher wattage supplies at home for this reason, for when my laptop is plugged in at home as my desktop replacement. Then you just carry the minimum wattage adaptor with you for on the go.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Yea thats exactly what I plan to do, just leave that huge asus adapter at home and carry the much smaller kensington one around. Laptops comin in tmr, so hopefully theres more detailed info on the power draw in the manual, or maybe one of the asus moderators will provide more info.

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think too smail is unable to power on G serious laptop.

rewben
Level 13
thanks @fostert! i will get the 230w 😄

JwPwns
Level 10
I left my adapter at home -___- anyone know if bestbuy or other big brand store carrying compatible ones? I can't wait few days for shipping. Also searched ebay for kensington adapters earlier but havn't found any 180w or higher
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro