cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A problem with raid

Vilial
Level 7
Hello,

I have a Maximus V Extreme motherboard and I wish to make a raid-5 with 4x WD3000FYYZ drives. (not planning to boot from raid, my boot device is PCIe ssd - ocz revodrive 3x2)
I've plugged them all into intel sata ports since asmedia ones do not seem to support raid (as stated here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23584-A-couple-of-questions-on-my-first-build-with-Maximus-...) and tried to enter Intel Rapid Storage Technology Option ROM utility by pressing + during POST according to the manual - nothing happened, windows continued to load - tried several times.
I've also put sata to raid mode in bios - no effect.

Also I do see my drives in bios but dont see them in windows.
What could be the problem?

Best regards,
Dmitriy
7 REPLIES 7

Grymmie
Level 8
One of two issues possibly,

First, check to make sure in BIOS that the Option ROM Message is set to Force BIOS. If that's not the problem, then you have to redo your bios especially if you are at or above 1309. I had to flash back to 0704 to resolve the Option Rom not showing.

Hope that helps
Asus MVE @1707, IRST 12.5, MEI @ 8.01, w/Intel i7-3770K@4.60 Ghz @ 1.275 with .050 - offset, on Corsair H100, w/(4) Corsair XMS 2000 @ 2000 9-10-9-27-51 @1.65, (2) Crucial C300 128 GBs running in RAID 0 as primary drive, with 3 Terabytes of Data Drives. (1) Powercoler 7870 MYST stock.

Thanks alot for the advice but I'm affraid it's not my case.
Option ROM Message was set to Force BIOS already.
I've rolled back to 0704 (was 1604) - no changes, all the same.

It is said here http://rog.asus.com/77402012/rampage-iv-motherboards/what-is-raid-setup-guide/3/ that
as soon as the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen appears for a few seconds press Ctrl+I

But I do not see any Intel Matrix Storage Manager Screen during startup.
Pressing Ctrl+I continuously only invokes Windows Boot Manager...

This is all I get: http://youtu.be/O3jft4avkUw

Grymmie
Level 8
Have you tried BIOS No. 2? Which probably is 0704 or earlier, just to see if its the NVRAM on BIOS 1 that's the problem? Which I think it is. If you find it works on BIOS No. 2, then a CMOS clear (30 minutes without power or battery) to clear the NVRAM on BIOS No.1 and possibly a reflash should resolve the problem.

Regards,
Asus MVE @1707, IRST 12.5, MEI @ 8.01, w/Intel i7-3770K@4.60 Ghz @ 1.275 with .050 - offset, on Corsair H100, w/(4) Corsair XMS 2000 @ 2000 9-10-9-27-51 @1.65, (2) Crucial C300 128 GBs running in RAID 0 as primary drive, with 3 Terabytes of Data Drives. (1) Powercoler 7870 MYST stock.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I wonder if your BIOS is keeping your settings when you select RAID as SATA mode? What happens after you press F10 to save and exit the settings? If you go straight back into BIOS do you see RAID as your mode of SATA? And when looking at your devices in BIOS are your hard drives picked up?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I wonder if your BIOS is keeping your settings when you select RAID as SATA mode? What happens after you press F10 to save and exit the settings? If you go straight back into BIOS do you see RAID as your mode of SATA? And when looking at your devices in BIOS are your hard drives picked up?

Thanks a lot for the advice. I found that it didnt keep sata settings after rolling back to 0704 though it kept xmp profile settings... My fault. I've returned raid mode now and managed to enter the utility and create a raid set. A pity it didnt work on 1604 version though.
Anyway, now it seems to be all fine in bios:

But still nothing in windows. No undiscovered devices, Intel raid controller does appear in the device manager. Tried to update Rapid Storage Technology Drivers - no effect, still can't see the drive.

What could be the problem now?

Grymmie wrote:
Have you tried BIOS No. 2? Which probably is 0704 or earlier, just to see if its the NVRAM on BIOS 1 that's the problem? Which I think it is. If you find it works on BIOS No. 2, then a CMOS clear (30 minutes without power or battery) to clear the NVRAM on BIOS No.1 and possibly a reflash should resolve the problem.

Tried second bios now, it's also 0704 and behaves the same - managed to set up raid but can't see it from windows

Vilial
Level 7
Update

The issue's solved, thanks for your help! I had to do to Disk Management, format it and assign a drive letter - all is fine now.
Hope later bios versions will fix this so I won't have to stay with an old 0704 forever...

Best regards

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I was unable to log in on Monday. Once we had the first part sorted the second part was the easy part. As you found by your self.

Take care and visit some time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.