Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by The Veterant View Post
    Ok Marshall U win guy, before I go I will like to ask U a ?. Who makes the the bios on ASUS' cards, in my opinion if it's Asus done should be Asus responsible for this support?
    You do not seem to understand what MarshallR is saying. Of course ASUS is supporting the cards with the ASUS video firmware. BUT what he's trying to explain is that ASUS can not support flashing THIRD PARTY video firmware on the ASUS cards.

Terence_13, above, is using a custom made Video firmware that is based on the MSI firmware. ASUS can't and will not support that.

Support will be provided normally for all cards that are flashed with the ASUS UEFI GOP firmware.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    ASUS can't and will not support that.
    I don't think anybody would actually believe or expect you to support a custom MSI based BIOS.

I believe Veterant (people in general) is sceptical/unhappy because ASUS said initially repeatedly ASUS has NO plans to support UEFI GOP for "older" cards. I guess people have the feeling you only now reluctantly expressed the intend to support UEFI in the GTX 600 series because of public pressure.

I understand you (liability, the risk with a new technology) and also understand bussiness needs: after all you life on selling cards, not on support, but of course you will sell better when you have a good reputation (of providing good support). Perhaps you don't care because unhappy customers bounce back and forth between three major players in the market (known from other businesses).

I can tell you it would not be well recieved when new card all of a sudden do support UEFI GOP (in which case the MOBO compatibility concerns would vanish?), and "old" cards of the GTX 600 series have no support.

Actually, I am quite happy with your update and do see the will to keep you loyal enthusiasts happy.
    Last edited by Terence_13; 02-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    Updated point 2 with new info.
    That is great News Marshall! Many thanks for all the effort! One question though: I own a P8z77v-Pro. Does your new info mean my board is not entirely Windows 8 compatible? Your Website states, and I quote: "Windows 8 ready - Assured compatibility". Are there any dangers when using my 670 in this Board in uefi mode?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Terence_13 View Post
    I don't think anybody would actually believe or expect you to support a custom MSI based BIOS.
    disclaimer: I don't work for ASUS so this is my opinion/understanding.

"Support" doesn't just mean phone/email support though. Yeah I agree it'd be silly to phone ASUS for advice on an MSI BIOS flash but most people would know better. I could however see someone get a bad flash with an MSI BIOS and send the card for RMA. So perhaps to expand/clarify on this ASUS won't *warranty* an MSI BIOS on an ASUS card.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Daredude View Post
    That is great News Marshall! Many thanks for all the effort! One question though: I own a P8z77v-Pro. Does your new info mean my board is not entirely Windows 8 compatible? Your Website states, and I quote: "Windows 8 ready - Assured compatibility". Are there any dangers when using my 670 in this Board in uefi mode?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver
    '

All Z77 boards will have a Windows 8 ready BIOS, you are fine.

Updated post #1 with even more info about legacy fall-back function of our hybrid BIOS. Good news: ASUS motherboards in the last ~4 years should be fully compatible with ASUS hybrid UEFI graphics card BIOS'.

Only GTX 600/HD 7000 are supported because all partners require support from Nvidia/AMD to give part of the code and support. As such, no partner will be releasing UEFI BIOS for GPU in older generations. Like all things, if you want the latest spec you have to buy the latest tech

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Terence_13 View Post
    I believe Veterant (people in general) is sceptical/unhappy because ASUS said initially repeatedly ASUS has NO plans to support UEFI GOP for "older" cards. I guess people have the feeling you only now reluctantly expressed the intend to support UEFI in the GTX 600 series because of public pressure.

I understand you (liability, the risk with a new technology) and also understand bussiness needs: after all you life on selling cards, not on support, but of course you will sell better when you have a good reputation (of providing good support). Perhaps you don't care because unhappy customers bounce back and forth between three major players in the market (known from other businesses).

I can tell you it would not be well recieved when new card all of a sudden do support UEFI GOP (in which case the MOBO compatibility concerns would vanish?), and "old" cards of the GTX 600 series have no support.

Actually, I am quite happy with your update and do see the will to keep you loyal enthusiasts happy.
    I do not believe Veterant meant that. I seriously think he did not understand what was being said here (it is evident in his last post where he was asking about who's making the BIOS) hence I tried to explain. I also do not work for ASUS. I simply have a good understanding of the technologies involved.

As MarshallR already stated above, not supporting the older cards is not an ASUS thing. It's the stance of nVIDIA, so if you have a complaint about that (one I would find reasonable myself), you should petition nVIDIA directly.

The problem with the UEFI GOP is industry wide. As already explained, if you flash it and your motherboard is not compliant, you get stuck with a "bricked" situation. It is understandable why every company out there was reluctant to start handing them out, as that situation could easily get out of hand. I know people have bricked cards already.

That said, I find the hybrid solution ASUS is offering, a very good initiative on creating a failsafe system. Although I can bet that people will still manage to brick by not reading the disclaimer and flashing with an unsupported board..
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Member Array

Hi,

Hadn't checked the forum in a while due to my disappointment with ASUS.s stance regarding releasing a GOP BIOS for the high end cards but thought I would check back to see if there had been any change.

Really happy to see ASUS stepping up for us enthusiasts and just wanted to say thanks for listening to your customers, will be patiently waiting to flash my GTX680-DC2T-2GD5

Cheers, Bob.

ROG Member Array

Gtx680-2gd5-dc2t 80.04.47.00.0d

also have a GTX680-2GD5-DC2T Device ID 10DEE-1180 hope is once supported

New ROGer Array

Some things do not make sense to me, would someone clarify the following.

All our GPU UEFI BIOS' are dual mode (hybrid).
    Isn't that the same for all manufacturers? I would think it would stay that way until sometime after the release of UEFI 3 when CSM will no longer be an option.

That means even if you have older ASUS motherboards with no UEFI even, you can still install the Hybrid UEFI GPU BIOS and it will automatically fall-back to legacy mode!
    If the mainboard is legacy only, no UEFI, then how would UEFI graphics be selected in the first place and isn't legacy the default mainboard selection for hybrid cards? In this case a cmos reset should select legacy VBIOS, no? Wouldn't "fall-back" be a feature of selecting UEFI graphics, having it fail, then the mainboard BIOS switching to legacy option ROM?

Only GTX 600/HD 7000 are supported because all partners require support from Nvidia/AMD to give part of the code and support. As such, no partner will be releasing UEFI BIOS for GPU in older generations. Like all things, if you want the latest spec you have to buy the latest tech
    Then why does Powercolor have UEFI VBIOS for AMD HD6450 and HD5450 cards as well as HD7000? Why does Gigabyte have publicly downloadable VBIOS updates for some HD6000 cards and even an HD5000 card?

Anything known about this ASUS GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 VBIOS with GOP UEFI driver dated mid August?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1...48.120911.html

Thanks.

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    Some things do not make sense to me, would someone clarify the following.
    Sure

Isn't that the same for all manufacturers? I would think it would stay that way until sometime after the release of UEFI 3 when CSM will no longer be an option.
    No it's not. There is no room for 2 VBIOS versions in the SPI flash. You either flash one or the other. So if you flash the card with UEFI GOP and the motherboard doesn't support it then you simply can't use the card at all. That's what all the fuss is about. People mistakenly flash cards with UEFI GOP when it's not supported by their boards ending up with a bricked system.
    ASUS is making a special VBIOS that automatically detects if your board supports UEFI GOP and if it doesn't it defaults on loading legacy VBIOS code. This is an ASUS thing. (They do it by merging both versions..it's probably a patented method).

If the mainboard is legacy only, no UEFI, then how would UEFI graphics be selected in the first place and isn't legacy the default mainboard selection for hybrid cards? In this case a cmos reset should select legacy VBIOS, no? Wouldn't "fall-back" be a feature of selecting UEFI graphics, having it fail, then the mainboard BIOS switching to legacy option ROM?
    That would be the case if the cards featured both. But they don't. So what happens on a legacy-only board is that nothing gets loaded and the system can not boot.
    CMOS can not help you as the video card NO LONGER has a legacy BIOS to use.
    (For example, the EVGA cards I have in my signature are both flashed with EVGA UEGI GOP. They don't have a legacy Video BIOS anymore so they won't boot on any machine without a UEFI that follows the 2nd version of the specification).

Then why does Powercolor have UEFI VBIOS for AMD HD6450 and HD5450 cards as well as HD7000? Why does Gigabyte have publicly downloadable VBIOS updates for some HD6000 cards and even an HD5000 card?
    We're talking about nVIDIA cards. AMD cards can have both versions installed by default so this issue does not apply to those cards. This is specifically for nVIDIA cards.

Anything known about this ASUS GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 VBIOS with GOP UEFI driver dated mid August?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1...48.120911.html
    Where did you see that this card has a UEFI GOP? I can see nothing of the sort.
    Last edited by Nodens; 03-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.

RealBench Developer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast