Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Is the Z68 chipset ( i own the Maximus IV GenE/GenZ updated to 3603 11/09/2012) eligible for fast boot?

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Seithan View Post
    Is the Z68 chipset ( i own the Maximus IV GenE/GenZ updated to 3603 11/09/2012) eligible for fast boot?
    No, it's not sorry. Only the boards listed on P1 will Fast Boot. It will be compatible with our GPUs that have hybrid BIOS' though so it won't fail at least.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    We're talking about nVIDIA cards. AMD cards can have both versions installed by default so this issue does not apply to those cards. This is specifically for nVIDIA cards.
    Our Nvidia GOP BIOS are hybrid BIOS'.

New ROGer Array

Thanks Nodens, that helps. My bad, I was under the impression all UEFI VBIOS for now were going to be hybrid type only and the reason for no support on 500 series for example was due to there not being enough ROM space for a "hybrid implementation". So far all i have seen is hybrid VBIOS. I would be very interested in seeing a UEFI only VBIOS, especially the header info. If you know of a link it would be much appreciated.

I think everyone is going to have their own preferences with what they want, for me I would prefer a hybrid VBIOS so I can still run the occasional real DOS session or boot backup software without too much hassle, when needed, while hopefully the UEFI side might bring some usefulness other than faster booting (secure boot for those that want it ), such as pre OS boot UEFI applications in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    Where did you see that this card has a UEFI GOP? I can see nothing of the sort.
    It is not evident by the description alone but if you download the image you will see the UEFI ROM starting at offset 0xF600. This contains the 64-bit UEFI Nvidia driver xx.xx.xx.xx.xx, version 0x1000D, dated 14 August 2012. Maybe it is an early beta, idk, hence my question.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    Thanks Nodens, that helps. My bad, I was under the impression all UEFI VBIOS for now were going to be hybrid type only and the reason for no support on 500 series for example was due to there not being enough ROM space for a "hybrid implementation". So far all i have seen is hybrid VBIOS. I would be very interested in seeing a UEFI only VBIOS, especially the header info. If you know of a link it would be much appreciated.
    While I have been working a lot with UEFI spec 2.3.1 stuff lately, I never actually checked these ROM images (had no reason until now heh). I do not know about the Fermi SPI flash but I do know that there's no space on the Kepler cards either for dual images. The Hybrid implementation that Asus will offer (and the ones you've already seen--on the AMD cards maybe? Or someone else has released Hybrid as well?) are probably made by crafting a special a header that utilizes code pockets and common parts of the code (at least that's the only way I can think when trying to figure out how I'd do it myself ;p)
    I willl send you a PM with a UEFI GOP only sample ROM to examine (it's not for ASUS cards so ppl don't spam PM me with requests. I don't have ASUS UEFI GOP).

I think everyone is going to have their own preferences with what they want, for me I would prefer a hybrid VBIOS so I can still run the occasional real DOS session or boot backup software without too much hassle, when needed, while hopefully the UEFI side might bring some usefulness other than faster booting (secure boot for those that want it ), such as pre OS boot UEFI applications in the future.
    Of course everyone is going to prefer a hybrid VBIOS but I was under the impression that ASUS is the only one that will be offering a hybrid solution for nvidia cards? Let me know if that is not the case.
    Also you caught me slightly off guard with this statement: "so I can still run the occasional real DOS session". I have not checked the UEFI GOP specification and I automatically assumed that it would be fully backwards compatible with BIOS calls. Is it really that real mode is not supported anymore or are you just assuming the contrary of what I did?

]
    It is not evident by the description alone but if you download the image you will see the UEFI ROM starting at offset 0xF600. This contains the 64-bit UEFI Nvidia driver xx.xx.xx.xx.xx, version 0x1000D, dated 14 August 2012. Maybe it is an early beta, idk, hence my question.
    This sounds very weird because as far as I knew there were absolutely no (nvidia at least -- not sure on AMD) cards for sale that featured a UEFI GOP by default. I will have to check it out..

EDIT: On a quick first inspection it seems that you are right and with GOP you can only access video cards via UEFI Protocols and no Interrupts/VBE/VGA BIOS extensions...Hmr Perhaps a wrapper driver would be useful for when legacy Video BIOS goes extinct?
    Last edited by Nodens; 03-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Member Array

Nodens, your comments confuse me. Most uefi gop bios I find on techpowerup e.g. for gtx670 are about twice the size compared to non-uefi vbios(about 160kb vs 90kb). Therefore, hybrid uefi GOP vbios is no special ASUS patented thingy. These 160kb vbios easly fit in each Kepler card. As you might have read I use myself an MSI based hybrid vbios on my ASUS card.
    Last edited by Terence_13; 03-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Terence_13 View Post
    Nodens, your comments confuse me. Most uefi gop bios I find on techpowerup e.g. for gtx670 are about twice the size compared to non-uefi vbios(about 160kb vs 90kb). Therefore, hybrid uefi GOP vbios is no special ASUS patented thingy. These 160kb vbios easly fit in each Kepler card. As you might have read I use myself an MSI based hybrid vbios on my ASUS card.
    You seem to be confusing hybrid with dual. There are 3 ways you can implement UEFI GOP (4 if you cound one that needs extra hardware support):

1) UEFI GOP only.
    2) BIOS with separate GOP driver and legacy VGA BIOS into a single image (Dual BIOS).
    3) Merge GOP driver with legacy VGA BIOS into a single OROM (Hybrid).
    ----------
    4) Dual BIOS with a switch (like the dual bios on Rampage boards). Requires extra hardware support (eg 2 SPI flash chips+switch/jumper/whatever).

Solution 1. Is the problematic one that causes bricks.
    Solution 2. This is the one not feasable due to not enough space in the SPI flash.
    Solution 3. This is the Hybrid solution that ASUS will be offering. This is an ASUS implementation and if others are doing the same thing they are doing it on their own way. This is why ASUS can not guarantee that their hybrid solution will work with other manufacturer's boards.

The EVGA one I have on my cards falls into category 1. I have not seen the MSI one but I assume it is also not hybrid (3) because I have not heard of a hybrid solution other than ASUS yet. Still I may be wrong on this one as I haven't actually examined them myself.

Twice the size means nothing. For example GOP drivers include certificates for signature enforcement at the end of the image. Those take quite a bit of space on their own.. Thinking that they're hybrid because they're twice the size is wrong. Have you actually booted your card on a legacy BIOS rig?

The EVGA one I dumped from my cards is 179kb (which is the maximum size of the OROM because the entire thing is dumped) yet it's UEFI GOP only and won't boot on my linux server box or my AMD beta-test rig.

On a sidenote: Considering a lot of the VBIOS you can find online are dumped from cards, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find legacy VBIOS with max_size as well (since it's a bit for bit dump). In fact I just did a search and there you go, 179kb legacy vbios galore:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...E&memSize=2048
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

New ROGer Array

Thanks Nodens for the sample VBIOS. It seems pretty much the same as the others out there. That is, NVGI data followed by legacy option ROM, UEFI option ROM (driver), VN section and lastly a couple of Nvidia certs.

Maybe a good example is with this Gigabyte VBIOS update from legacy to UEFI for GV-N670OC-2GD

The only changes to the legacy Option ROM are
    1. The date.
    2. The PCIR header indicator byte, changed from 0x80 to 0x00. Maybe a flag to indicate UEFI presence? This seems usual.
    3. The checksum byte.

Then the UEFI option ROM (driver) follows in F13.
    One Nvidia certificate at the end is updated.
    Other sections data remain unchanged.

I would have expected your sample image to work as legacy on a UEFI board with CSM enabled and selecting legacy Video, not sure what is going on there. Idk if there are compatibility problems with running it on a true legacy system BIOS.

Sorry for straying OT but thanks for the info, it's all useful.
    Last edited by Rodent; 03-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    Thanks Nodens for the sample VBIOS. It seems pretty much the same as the others out there. That is, NVGI data followed by legacy option ROM, UEFI option ROM (driver), VN section and lastly a couple of Nvidia certs.

Maybe a good example is with this Gigabyte VBIOS update from legacy to UEFI for GV-N670OC-2GD

The only changes to the legacy Option ROM are
    1. The date.
    2. The PCIR header indicator byte, changed from 0x80 to 0x00. Maybe a flag to indicate UEFI presence? This seems usual.
    3. The checksum byte.

Then the UEFI option ROM (driver) follows in F13.
    One Nvidia certificate at the end is updated.
    Other sections data remain unchanged.

I would have expected your sample image to work as legacy on a UEFI board with CSM enabled and selecting legacy Video, not sure what is going on there. Idk if there are compatibility problems with running it on a true legacy system BIOS.

Sorry for straying OT but thanks for the info, it's all useful.
    No idea why it's not working. But I took a look into the image myself after your post. I can see a legacy video rom image starting at offset 400h then a Tiano compressed x64 UEFI driver at 10000h. I didn't bother to extract the driver or disassemble anything (not enough free time for that heh) but I did check the headers and they appear according to specification. Which PCIR header indicator byte are you referring to? Offset 10018h pointer to PCIR Data Structure looks correct (1Ch). Perhaps you're talking about external headers? I have no format for those headers so I have no idea what goes on in there .

It is quite possible to be working as legacy on a UEFI board with CSM but I'm talking on loading on legacy BIOS boards that are not aware of UEFI specs. It doesn't load on those. Perhaps this hybrid format is tailored around CSM.
    Last edited by Nodens; 03-09-2013 at 09:36 PM.

RealBench Developer.

New ROGer Array

GTX690-4GD5 with Fatal1ty X79 Champion

GTX690-4GD5 with Fatal1ty X79 Champion can't ULTRA FAST .. ^( can i update my vbios ?
    p.s. 80.04.1E.00.17 current vbios version
    Last edited by TazManiak; 03-10-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast