cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI GOP Fast Boot update

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi All,

We've just had a meeting today to get the latest info for you all. It's quite a complicated situation so please bare with me.

1) Not every motherboard UEFI BIOS is compatible. ASUS will only be qualifying it's own motherboards. Currently these are fully compatible with UEFI Fast Boot Mode:

- Intel 7 Series or later
- Intel X79 Series updated to Win8 BIOS (3xxx)
- Intel H61 Series R2.0 or later
- AMD R2.0 series or later

UEFI is not a uniform standard. There is Gen 1 and Gen 2. Only Gen 2 is compatible with Win8 Fast Boot and has to have the BIOS code re-written from the ground up, which is why even if your board has "UEFI" and is older than on the list it won't work with Win8's Fast Boot sorry. It must have a Win8 certified UEFI BIOS.

All our GPU UEFI BIOS' are dual mode (hybrid). We are currently testing our legacy and 1st Gen UEFI boards to see which are compatible and will fall back to booting from the legacy BIOS code until you update to a Win8/2nd Gen UEFI board. We cannot guarantee other manufacturer boards will fall back correctly, causing no POST or no display output.

GOOD NEWS!:
We have tested our Hybrid BIOS on a range of Intel and AMD motherboards ranging back 4-5 years and the Hybrid fall-back function works perfectly in all cases! That means even if you have older ASUS motherboards with no UEFI even, you can still install the Hybrid UEFI GPU BIOS and it will automatically fall-back to legacy mode!

EDIT: Updated this part 26th Feb
EDIT2: 2nd update 28th Feb.

3) As you may know we don't just make one GTX 680, for example, in fact there are 12 different versions, which all have different BIOS'. As you can imagine, if you flash the wrong BIOS your card will not work. Multiply this by several products and that's many, many BIOS'. The chance of getting it wrong is unacceptably high when as codes vary by small amounts.

However, despite Nvidia's suggestion and the large potential for incompatibility causing no POST, we are still going to introduce UEFI GPU BIOS' under condition of the clear warnings above. Starting first with the GTX 680 in the next few weeks we will be providing a very detailed guide on how to check your GPU version and how to upgrade the VBIOS. The on evaluation of success of that (and any modification of the guide) we will then add GTX 670, 660 Ti. This is exclusive to the high-end GPUs and ROG forums for now.

4) During April we will have a more public release of an automated tool for checking compatibility and updating the VBIOS if it detects all is OK. Should this tool not work for you, yet you are convinced your PC is compatible, you can use the guide we provided.

Hope this helps everyone understand the next month-to-6 weeks better 🙂
52 REPLIES 52

Terence_13
Level 7
Many thanks for the update. You can add to your list of "working combination":

GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 + asrock z77 extreme4 (BIOS 2.80)

Original VBIOS was 80.04.19.00.AS03. Self created VBIOS (MSI.GTX670.2048.120822_mod+boostfix+fanfix.rom) is based on MSI UEFI VBIOS: Aditional-Parameters.ZIP *WARNING FOR ANYONE DOWNLOADING THIS: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK*

Important: Fresh install of Windows 8 MUST have most reacent NVIDIA driver before switching to UEFI ultra fast boot, otherwise immidiate reboot after shortly flashing the login screen will occur.

If it would not be for the 13 seconds it takes the harddisks to spin up, boot would be 5sec (reboot is 5sec). No issues so far in hours of playing demanding games.

I'm just want to add a humble opinion to this thread. @Terence see if ASUS some how can hire you to help them solve this. Cause ASUS probally just have some engineers that they might be afraid to do. This is a feature that comes with this new implemantation of the UEFI companies needs to get together and all pull to one side. And that side is to improve tecnology not withhold it. Then customers pay for support and not chip. Every top of the line card here cost a arm and a leg, so we should get in support for every penny that we paid for do you guys think?. Thanks any ways for the update Marshall.
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄

X-ROG
Level 15
Sorry Veterant I don't understand you reply. It's an industry wide issue of compatibility.

Terence_13 - We will create another thread users can affirm other motherboard/ASUS GPU combinations, but only with official UEFI BIOS' from us if that's OK. We cannot warranty or support 3rd party updates, even if they work for you 😉 Thanks for all your help though and the note about drivers!

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Sorry Veterant I don't understand you reply. It's an industry wide issue of compatibility.

Terence_13 - We will create another thread users can affirm other motherboard/ASUS GPU combinations, but only with official UEFI BIOS' from us if that's OK. We cannot warranty or support 3rd party updates, even if they work for you 😉 Thanks for all your help though and the note about drivers!

@ Marshall: This is very simple Marshall and I'm going to ask U a ?. Which side are U in " The side of the issue or the side of the problem ". Now hopefully U understand, I don't think so cause I smell all this fishy, sales strategy.

@Marshall, hey guy veri nice and simple numbers guy. Just go to NewEgg and see for Ur self guy the Nvidias Titan EVGA "Out of Stock" ASUS still available, what tells U that guy. As far as I understood customer prefered= poor support. No ones has to be an engineer to figure that one out.

apatch
Level 7
I'm very thankful to Terence_13 and I'm using his bios for some time but some problems still exist, it could be rather display/gpu combination problem, but it somehow shows where problems could be seen.

1. Since the beginning my HP LP2475W monitor doesn't show any picture in Motherboard old UEFI (ASrock Z68E4G3 = < 2.30) or new 2.31a in fast boot mode when using DispalyPort but it works correctly in new UEFI (2.31a) in ultra fast boot mode.

2. DVI shows correctly picture in Motherboard old UEFI or new 2.31a in fast boot mode but doesn't in new UEFI in ultra fast boot mode.

All this happens when using Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5, problems with DisplayPort exist even in GPU old bios (= < AS03) and with this modified MSI.GTX670.2048.120822_mod+boostfix+fanfix.rom.

But when I use internal Intel GPU with DisplayPort, it shows picture in UEFI when using both old and new Motherboard UEFI in all possible fast/ultra fast boot modes.

So even if I gain ultra fast boot on a discrete GPU with this new MSI modified GPU UEFI, then I can't freely switch between Win 7 fast boot and Win 8 ultra fast boot to use both of the systems. Before any questions I know how to use "Restart to UEFI" app.

So I imagine that when using few displays this problem will be even more complicated and adding MB / GPU / DISPLAY vendor combination possibilities it rises even higher. The first step should be educating how it works and when display stops to work after MB/GPU UEFI update how to avoid/resolve some problems by the users with changing input connector if possible (DP/DVI/HDMI) or get back to old GPU firmware.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope that at least some of this is understandable.

X-ROG
Level 15
Why are you taking offense? It's not sales, it's legal liability. We cannot support something that isn't officially from us. I've left the link up there haven't I? I could have removed it entirely.

X-ROG
Level 15
Updated point 2 with new info.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Updated point 2 with new info.

Ok Marshall U win guy, before I go I will like to ask U a ?. Who makes the the bios on ASUS' cards, in my opinion if it's Asus done should be Asus responsible for this support?

The Veterant wrote:
Ok Marshall U win guy, before I go I will like to ask U a ?. Who makes the the bios on ASUS' cards, in my opinion if it's Asus done should be Asus responsible for this support?

You do not seem to understand what MarshallR is saying. Of course ASUS is supporting the cards with the ASUS video firmware. BUT what he's trying to explain is that ASUS can not support flashing THIRD PARTY video firmware on the ASUS cards.

Terence_13, above, is using a custom made Video firmware that is based on the MSI firmware. ASUS can't and will not support that.

Support will be provided normally for all cards that are flashed with the ASUS UEFI GOP firmware.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.