Did you mean: 

g75vx boot from usb?

danjael
Level 7
Hey,
Just got a g75vx with bios 204,
want to hook up linux on it, but cant for my life figure out how to boot
a usb stick?
Probably something really simple Im missing.
Any help greatly appreciated!
/Dan
11 REPLIES 11

Clintlgm
Level 14
Check out this thread
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Pitcher1
Level 9
press ese to see the boot manual and select usb.

TheTaoist
Level 7
danjael wrote:
Hey,
Just got a g75vx with bios 204,
want to hook up linux on it, but cant for my life figure out how to boot
a usb stick?
Probably something really simple Im missing.
Any help greatly appreciated!
/Dan

Just wondering if you figured out what you were doing wrong? I'm banging my head off the wall. I've created a bootable USB and DVD disc tonight and used both to boot off my desktop. However I cannot seem to figure out how to boot off either on my Asus Laptop (g75vx) I've gone into the bios and moved up both in the options, even tried disabling the windows option.. still nothing.

Here is the correct way to create a UEFI Boot USB Pen drive
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

teotwawki
Level 7
Maybe it sounds stupid, but try shuting down the notebook, and then boot from the USB. No restart it, do the boot in the first start.
Of couse, first try pressing ESC right after the Asus logo disappears, or enter the BIOS (F2 while the Asus logo is on the screen) and look for the USB there.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
This may not help everybody, but try enabling 'Launch CSM' under your bios 'boot' settings too along with disabling secure boot under 'security'.
After changing both bios settings a non-UEFI boot option for your flash drive should appear to allow you to boot to your USB drive.
If you're interested, check thread G75vx BIOS 206 not booting from USB [solved].

If you using an older bios version and don't see those bios settings, try changing the UEFi/non-UEFI boot setting instead which should work as well.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
You don't need to enable CSM to boot for a USB drive; you only need CSM to install a different operating system. Secure Boot = disabled is a must though. 🙂

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Prostar Computer wrote:
You don't need to enable CSM to boot for a USB drive; you only need CSM to install a different operating system. Secure Boot = disabled is a must though. 🙂

Wouldn't say I'm an expert on this stuff, but with the ASUS notebooks at least, I seem to need to enable 'Launch CSM' as well as disable 'Secure boot' to boot to some things although honestly, I haven't tried disabling only secure boot that much, so others may want to check it out if necessary.
It may also matter how the USB boot drive was created.

If I understand this correctly, this blog post mentions CSM allows you to boot to legacy or non-UEFI operating systems (or boot loaders/bootable DVDS?).

"Compatibility Support Module (CSM)

The UEFI boot manager is able to load legacy BIOS environment using the Compatibility Support Module (CSM). This module is able to emulate legacy BIOS environment and allow booting legacy operating systems or new operating systems which were installed without UEFI boot loader."

@cl-albert this one should go in the sticky's it comes up often.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro