cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black screen, system locks up in bf3 and blackops 2 after about an hour of gameplay

ozzydog153
Level 7
black screen, system locks up in bf3 and blackops 2 after about an hour of gameplay for the past week or so before that no problems. been driving myself crazy for the past week trying to figure this out. thought it was related to my pair of gforce 660's or the fact that i slightly overclock. even thought my ram was bad. ran all kinds of stress tests and system checked out fine. then i remembered that i disabled dolby home theater about a week ago to play an older ww2 online game in default analog 5.1. phoebus has been set that way all week so today i enabled dolby game mode again and all crashes and black screens went away. i do get a few studders in blackops 2 but no more lockups. using the latest beta drivers from nov 2012 and also the newest nvidia drivers. anyone else get this crazy bug ? thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Raja
Level 13
Nothing like that per se. I just got some server kicks yesterday in BF3 as my PB needed a manual update. The only other thing that caused issue with my card here was running it sandwiched in a tri-SLi rig - it was getting too hot resulting in higher bit rates glitching. Keeping airflow around the card cured that. Chassis is Lian-Li V21**, not the best for tri-SLI lol

Well in my games I have only noticed a game black screening at start and thats the SIMS 3, and only if I have GX enabled. If I disable GX then the game runs fine. Othetrwise the game just black screens and you have to close the program. I am using the newest beta drivers with the updated firmware.

gx mode is disabled. i got this response from evga forum
TDR's are not always caused by GPU drivers or bad gpu's.
They can also becaused by bad network drivers, sound drivers, ide drivers, sata drivers blah blah blah.
If the issue is resolved by changing the surround mode, then the sound driver is causing excessive ISRs to the point that it delays the video driver's response. makes sense thats why i started using the dolby mode in the first place. default 5.1 mode with dolby off would cause a studder / audio lag that sound kind of like a burp through the speakers. using dolby mode fixed that problem.

ozzydog153
Level 7
was finally able to capture error
Direct X function “get device removed reason” failed with dXgi_error_device hung: device hung due to badly formed commands.. gpu: “nvidia gforce 660” driver 31407

i know it says gforce driver but it only does it with dolby disabled ??