cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit of GX 3.0 Mode?

InternetOwl
Level 8
I have heard that the only reason to have GX enabled if your playing an older legacy game with EAX support. But in other games such as World of Warcraft which has no EAX support now (they completely removed it and I think use FMOD) I still hear better posistional with GX enabled. I know basic wisdom says there is no reason to use GX mode at all if your not running a EAX supported game, but I was wondering if anyone can say this for sure.
3 REPLIES 3

WTC
Level 7
Let me see if I can get this right: In the good old days of Windows XP, audio driver can choose to support DirectSound 3D and EAX interfaces so that those DSP can be done in HW, as what Creative sound card did. Since Windows Vista, all DirectSound commands are processed by WIndows audio system (dsound.dll) and they can no longer reach audio drivers, and EAX not supported anymore. GX, using WIndows Hook, intercepts all DirectSound commands and process them in driver SW. This means if GX is on, DirectSound 3D and EAX commands can be process by driver SW, and when GX is off, DirectSound 3D commands are processed by Windows audio system and EAX commands are all blocked.

The difference of 3D positioning you experienced is due to the fact that DirectSound 3D being processed by different parties. If the game uses EAX, turning on GX will have benefits. If the game does not use EAX but use DirectSound 3D, well, it depends on your own experience. GX mimics what dsound.dll does and it might introduce instability, and that's why you might want to avoid GX if it does not give you too much.

Thnx for the reply and explanation. And srry for the noob question. 😉

chilinmichael
Level 10
That's seriously the best explanation I've ever heard of GX Mode. Kudos to WTC!
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.