cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 8

ozzydog153
Level 7
thinking of giving windows 8 a try hows the phoebus perform under windows 8? not happy at all with it using win 7 so before i get rid of it thought i would give win 8 a try thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

KILLER_K
Level 10
It is honestly about the same. But just try it and see if you like it. Since you are doing it just to try Windows 8. No sense in not giving it one more try. Then you will know what you need to do with it then.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Know that you'll have to apply the protected mode fix, I would advise against the beta driver currently out because the fix doesn't work on that version, and things like the Netflix App, Hulu App and Media Center will crash/not work without protected mode audio enabled (which no Phoebus driver enables by default, thanks Asus). Use the driver from search under Asus Support: http://www.service.asus.com/#!Downloads/c1wax (Type in "Xonar Phoebus".

Know that over a month ago I submitted a bug report of that on beta, and also the firmware update not working on beta...neither of which have been answered since... I can confirm once you download the regular driver and enable protected mode audio, the card works just fine.

If you use Netflix, launch it and try to play something, it should point you to the Microsoft Protected-mode audio fix. Otherwise, search for it on the web and make sure it's from Microsoft, download and run it. Good luck!

*Add-in, a little side review of Windows 8 since that's the topic here: Windows 8 is nice, it IS the future of Operating Systems, a much more streamlined controllable interface. We've been using the same start bar for 17 years while hardware has advanced massively. With that said, there are quirks and big ones. The biggest of which, being an IT Pro I have issue with, is the recovery/auto fix options. Unlike 7, there is no built-in recovery on the HDD, you will have to use your dvd (so make sure you have it handy). Auto-recovery also almost never works, the internet is ridden with complaints of it, you are better off dropping to command prompt and attempting to fix the issue yourself. As far as dealing with something out of the norm (a lost file, corruption, etc) Windows 7 wrecks Windows 8, and that's important to me in keeping my computer 100% because I'm always changing hardware, messing with settings, etc. I've gone back to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate from Windows 8 Pro/Media Center.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

__VeNoM__
Level 7
Being honest... Windows 8 fixed my problems I was having with my card. No more channel switching, no more sound popping too... Seems rock solid in Windows 8 and I have not had to apply any hack or fix. I am using the beta's

chilinmichael
Level 10
Venom have you used the Netflix or Hulu App for Win8? With the beta driver, mine complained of an error and needed protected mode audio enabled. I downloaded the fix and it didn't work on the Beta driver where it did on the latest stable. I even checked the registry and indeed protected was enabled...

Note that protected mode audio is used in more than just Hulu and Netflix, and may cause issue when you least expect it...
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Venom have you used the Netflix or Hulu App for Win8? With the beta driver, mine complained of an error and needed protected mode audio enabled. I downloaded the fix and it didn't work on the Beta driver where it did on the latest stable. I even checked the registry and indeed protected was enabled...

Note that protected mode audio is used in more than just Hulu and Netflix, and may cause issue when you least expect it...

To be honest I don't use those aps so I have not seen the error. What is protection mode you speak of??

WTC
Level 7
I remember there's a version of driver package that is Win8 WHQL'd. Tried that one with protected mode audio enabled? Where's the location you checked in the registry for protected mode audio?

ozzydog153
Level 7
thanks for the info guys! will stick with win7 for a little while longer think i fixed my black screen crash issue. using the phoebus nov 2012 beta and the latest 314.07 nvidia drivers together was causing the crash in bf3 and blackops 2 after an hour or so of game time. only crashed when i played with dolby OFF. as soon as enebled dolby i could play for hours. hmmmm maybe the wife planted that bug. went back to a previouse nvidia driver and the phoebus beta from july 2012 and system is rock solid.

ozzydog153
Level 7
only bug i seem to have now is the headphone amp keep going to the normal setting after bootup even though i set it to high but i can live with that

cx-ray
Level 12