cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX - is there a legal way to backup Windows 8?

cvmocanu
Level 7
Hello,

I recently bought an ASUS G75VX and I noticed it comes with pre-installed Windows, but without installation disks - only a recovery partition.

This is EXTREMELY bad. I don't want to lose the software that I paid for (Window 😎 because of a hardware failure (e.g. complete crash of the harddrive). Or what about if I want to install Windows on a totally different drive that I purchased separately?

Is there a legal way to create installation DVDs or flash drives from which I can re-install Windows 8 in case of a total hard-drive failure (e.g. using the recovery partition is not possible)? Downloading ISOs from torrents is out of the question.

Off-topic: why are we driven to piracy in order to get the rights we paid for?

In case any ASUS representative reads this: the situation is unacceptable. I paid 1600 EUR (discounted) for the laptop. I can't believe a blank DVD would be that expensive that ASUS decided not to provide an installation disk...
41 REPLIES 41

bignazpwns
Level 11
Yeah just download Windows 8 from Microsoft.

No serial no activation just install and good to go.

cvmocanu
Level 7
Do you have any download link? This doesn't work: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

bignazpwns
Level 11
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Download the program and it should pull your key from your system. If not its pretty easy to get the key out of your system. That's the joy of it now. Since its built in you just install and don't have to type anything or activate it.

cvmocanu
Level 7
I already tried that and it doesn't work. You download a program (Windows8-Setup.exe) and when I input my key (found with Magical Jelly Bean Product Key Finder), it gives an error: "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8".

cvmocanu wrote:
I already tried that and it doesn't work. You download a program (Windows8-Setup.exe) and when I input my key (found with Magical Jelly Bean Product Key Finder), it gives an error: "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8".

Hey cvmocanu,

This is a shot in the dark but it may help. Is it possible that your laptop is a Win 7 machine upgraded to Win 8? There should be a sticker on the bottom saying what was originally shipped with the laptop.

If so you will need to install Win 7 first and then Win 8. Seems stupid but Microsoft did this when they had that $14.99 upgrade promotion on for Win 8. It stops ppl from buying it when they didn't own Win 7.

Sorry if it doesn't help but I've run into this a few times now.

Edit: I must have loaded the screen before your last post...

With the ISO, your concerned about obtaining it legally. You can use any untouched ISO from any site. It's the license your paying for, not the physical copy. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

dparish2
Level 7
You shouldn't need a key honestly. I deleted mine, went to Windows 7, decided to go back to Windows 8, put in a Win 8 ISO on a bootable flash drive and it never asked for the key. That Windows 8 ISO was the Pro edition too, but when the key was pulled from the BIOS it just put the OEM version on.

Are you trying the upgrade path through windows 7? You need to format and install 8, that should work.

cvmocanu
Level 7
My problem is that I don't have any ISO :(. I didn't receive any installation disks or download links, which is why I created this thread.

dparish2
Level 7
Yeah lucky I still have access to my school account so it was free.... Sadly you may have to go the "alternate route" to get it installed (which I'm not condoning or suggesting in anyway).....

DRAKON
Level 7
You can simply create back-up image of your entire C: drive and maybe the original hidden restore drive and store them into external HDD or write them down to Blu-Ray disk in order to keep them safe. I know it's not the ideal way as having the install Windows 8 disk and serial number ( probably there is a way to make it work but you have to have the right installation disk for the serial number you extract ) but it's kind of alternative solution.

Programs capable of this I know of:

1. Macrium Reflect
2. Norton Ghost
3. Acronis True Image

As ASUS do not provide tool for burning restore DVD with the windows 8 I guess we must be creative. My personal decision is that as I bought additional SSD I have the windows, hidden system drives and the restore drive on both my hard drives ( the original HDD and the new SDD ). That way unless they both fail I always have the windows and the restore option ( in case I want to restore and copy again instead of only copy the windows to new drive ). Takes more space but requires less effort 🙂