cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus iv gene-z video problem

Retired
Not applicable
I can't seem to get my video card to work on this board. It boots up fine with the Onboard video.. but I don't get a video signal with my 6950. I've tried

- a different video card 8800gts
- selecting PCIE as the primary boot arrangement
- a different monitor (2 in fact and my plasma)
- moved it down to the bottom pcie

Nothing.. it won't show the video at all. Boots up (beeps) doesn't give any errors but no signal.. Only signal I get is if I use the Onboard.

Any Idea what's going on? ( switched everything out to my old board for now so I know the rest of my hardware is working fine) (2500K Radeon 6950 Geil PC 1600 8G/1.5v CorsairHX 650W PSU)
5 REPLIES 5

Raja
Level 13
Clear CMOS if you have not already, and see if that switches to GPU by default. Which BIOS version are you using?

If you're on the latest BIOS and still cannot get a display signal from the GPUs, I will need full model and part numbers of those GPUs so we can try an replicate at HQ.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Hi Raja, I am using the bios that was supplied for the board (I doubt it's the beta bios as they would never use those) I clicked the button on the io shield several times (that's not the main bios reset switch is it? But serves the same purpose?) Have you had this problem in the labs at all? If not.. I am tempted to take t he board back to the store this morning and try another one...

Retired
Not applicable
The reason I ask if you've had this problem is that will save me some time. It seems unlikely that a video card (the evga Geforce 8800GTS 512) would have the same problem as a video card 3 years newer (Sapphire Radeon 6950 2Gig Dirt 3 edition) There are other builds out there (on various forums) that are using the 6950 with no problem so I don't think it's a issue with the video cards themselves.. Unless this is common with the release bios.

Raja
Level 13
Not heard of the problem myself, but it may be worth trying out the 06** BIOS before you return the board.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Well, I tried what you suggested but it still didn't work... Took the board back, installed the new one (first release bios) and it all works like a charm. Not a single hitch. A few notes..
When you go into the bios the card is detected and shows up under the ram info (not sure exactly what it's called) It didn't do that before.
Also I noticed that it properly detected my ram.. I didn't have to manually set the voltage.

It must have just been a bad board. These things happen when your dealing with electronics afterall. Oh well. All fixed and running well! Thanks for the quick replies Raja.