cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JH Bios Password Removal 2013!!! Finally! !!!!

Corkinator
Level 7
Ok long story short I bought this laptop off a friend who forgot the user bios password but knew the admin. So like a dumb*** I go and remove the only password we knew ( admin) thinking it would also remove the user password. Well it didnt and I thought, hey maybe I need to save and exit bios for it to apply my password removal. Well I was wrong, it then asked me for a user password every time I turn it on, not letting me do anything. ... so I thought I just ruined it and now have this huge expensive paperweight. After a couple days of research ive seen so many people with this problem and even bricked bioses, ive read what they has to do with bus pirates and whatnot and was like dang, I really dont want to do this. Ok enough blab lol here is how I removed my bios password. I disassembled my laptop, took out the cmos battery, put it back together and turned it on, NOTE: I did not have a cmos in tge computer when I turned it on. Sure enough it went to the bios and it had no passwords installed. At this point I was so hysterical and happy. So I turnwd it off, disassembled it again reinserted the battery and BOOM! It didnt remember ****. I hope this works for everyone, this is my experience.
19 REPLIES 19

Pitcher1
Level 9
cool, but i still want to you back to asus service center to do it.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Great! That is awesome! 🙂 Removing the CMOS battery is not an easy job, so I am glad that it worked for you!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

billyray520
Level 10
I thought there was a cmos reset hole in the bottom?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
I thought there was a cmos reset hole in the bottom?

A picture of where this is located would be nice! 🙂 I haven't found the reset hole on my G53SX...thinking there isn't one.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Corkinator
Level 7
I know there was a button, tried it didnt work. I would send it in to asus but I have no extra cash after I bought the laptop. Besides this laptop has been around (meaning opened and tampered with including drilling two holes under each fan) so im sure asus would charge me extra for whatever reason.

Good to know that works for you. I'll be doing the same on my G74. I heard rumors popping out the cmos battery wouldn't work. Plus I need to find a way to order a bottom case for my G74 so that I can fix what the tech's broke when they "fixed" my touchpad issue.
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)

Slaander
Level 7
wish I see this post sooner, you can go to American Megatrends, Inc Web and go to amibios support http://www.ami.com/Support/amibiossupport/ download the full bios flash program http://www.ami.com/Support/downloadagreement.cfm?DLFile=support/downloads/amiflash.zip&InpDrvID=90 and once you download the program make sure you use the Aptio Version as G73 use Aptio bios, use the AFUDOS and get latest Bios and use /N after the bios like

AFUDOS xxx.ROM /N <- Erase Bios Setup Password.

more detail read the AMI_Aptio_AFU_User_Guide comes with the package.

WhirledNews
Level 7
Cool thank you for posting this, do you have to boot it up without the cmos battery in or can you just take it out for a while? I would rather not disassemble my G74 twice... does anyone else have verification that this works?
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

slpstang02
Level 7
Corkinator wrote:
Ok long story short I bought this laptop off a friend who forgot the user bios password but knew the admin. So like a dumb*** I go and remove the only password we knew ( admin) thinking it would also remove the user password. Well it didnt and I thought, hey maybe I need to save and exit bios for it to apply my password removal. Well I was wrong, it then asked me for a user password every time I turn it on, not letting me do anything. ... so I thought I just ruined it and now have this huge expensive paperweight. After a couple days of research ive seen so many people with this problem and even bricked bioses, ive read what they has to do with bus pirates and whatnot and was like dang, I really dont want to do this. Ok enough blab lol here is how I removed my bios password. I disassembled my laptop, took out the cmos battery, put it back together and turned it on, NOTE: I did not have a cmos in tge computer when I turned it on. Sure enough it went to the bios and it had no passwords installed. At this point I was so hysterical and happy. So I turnwd it off, disassembled it again reinserted the battery and BOOM! It didnt remember ****. I hope this works for everyone, this is my experience.

So your telling me by removing the CMOS battery you got it to clear out the Admin Bios password??? I bought a G73JH on Ebay with bios locked and guy couldn't remember the password. I had been in contact with ASUS and they gave me every password they had. The only way to fix it was to send my laptop to ASUS to have it re flashed (Wasnt that important to me). But i had heard that G73 has some kind of memory that stores the password in case of battery failure or something. Did this in fact truly work?!!

Confirming you have a G73JH with i7 ATI HD5850.
Republic of Gamers
ASUS G73JH I7 8g ram
Radeon HD5870