Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Reputation
    59
    Posts
    597

    Im going to be totally honest with you about Anti Virus.

    You don't need any....at all. I have not used any in about 10 years. First thing I do on new systems is install a fresh windows to get rid of all of the junk stock software along with antivirus. Only time I use it is when im addressing the performance of a pc out of box like this G75VX but soon it was have a bare copy of windows 8 to see how it really preforms vs out of box.

    You don't need any if you fallow some simple rules.

    -Free porn is much like meeting random women. Nothing can happen or you can get a virus.

    -You will never win anything online. So if it says you won a Xbox 360 or a ipad. You did not

    -Random websites is like virus Russian roulette. Sites like tomshardware, cnet etc are good but you roll the dice on omfguberlletcallofdutyhax.com

    -After you get your system set up make a recovery image. Do weekly updates for you're programs and save any data you think is important in its own partition for data. Get a virus just clear the partition run the image and be back up and running.

    -If something gives you the omfg I must click this now, do not. Look at it and think about it first. Those reflex clicks is what gets most people.

    -And if you get a pop up the best way to close them is not clicking the little X. For wndows 8 press CRTL + Shift and ESC. Clock it from the task manager. Some times they will set the pop up so that the X is really the button that will start a download so the best way it to close them from task manager.

    -And if you must have anti virus do not use Mcafee that program is a joke.



    Ok so back to the problem. What drivers are you running? The crap Asus drivers or the latest Nvidia's?


    By the sound of it the drop from 45-1fps is looking hardware related to me. Run MSI afterburner play the game and play for like 2 min after the lag spike then tab out open MSI and check the log to see if the GPU useage line dropped at that time along with the gpu core clock.

  2. #12
    ROG Member Array Draugrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    I had the same lag spike in games with mine running the Nvidia driver supplied by ASUS I believe it is v306 right now. Anyway, I used the thread that described how to update the nvam file to install the latest Nvidia driver. I installed the latest Nvidia driver v314.07 and my lag spikes went away. I am not sure if this will fix your issue but the new Nvidia driver has several performance enhancements for the video card over v306 driver. Good luck!
    "It's all 'bits' and 'nibbles' until it turns into a 'Byte'"...Me
    "Those who know, do. Those who understand, teach"...Aristotle

    Desktop: i7 8700K, ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming, 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB CL14 DDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1080 Founder's Edition, Samsung 960 Pro M2 512GB NVMe, Samsung 960 EVO M2 1TB NVMe, and Win 10 Pro
    Laptop: [ASUS G752VS OC] i7 6820K, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, and Win 10 Pro

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Reputation
    59
    Posts
    597

    Quote Originally Posted by Draugrs View Post
    I had the same lag spike in games with mine running the Nvidia driver supplied by ASUS I believe it is v306 right now. Anyway, I used the thread that described how to update the nvam file to install the latest Nvidia driver. I installed the latest Nvidia driver v314.07 and my lag spikes went away. I am not sure if this will fix your issue but the new Nvidia driver has several performance enhancements for the video card over v306 driver. Good luck!
    It's sad when we have to mod drivers just to get them to support our card. Gotta love Asus propertary graphic cards and now drivers. Soon were going to have systems you cant do anything on. I miss the days the G series had MXM cards and you could use new drivers without mods.



    Here you go if you want to try that.

    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

    Drive and the inf file. copy the stuff it gives you for the inf file and replace the info in the nvam file under C:\NVIDIA\...Display.Drivers

    Original thread is here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post207951

  4. #14
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    Im going to be totally honest with you about Anti Virus.

    You don't need any....at all. I have not used any in about 10 years. First thing I do on new systems is install a fresh windows to get rid of all of the junk stock software along with antivirus. Only time I use it is when im addressing the performance of a pc out of box like this G75VX but soon it was have a bare copy of windows 8 to see how it really preforms vs out of box.

    You don't need any if you fallow some simple rules.

    -Free porn is much like meeting random women. Nothing can happen or you can get a virus.

    -You will never win anything online. So if it says you won a Xbox 360 or a ipad. You did not

    -Random websites is like virus Russian roulette. Sites like tomshardware, cnet etc are good but you roll the dice on omfguberlletcallofdutyhax.com

    -After you get your system set up make a recovery image. Do weekly updates for you're programs and save any data you think is important in its own partition for data. Get a virus just clear the partition run the image and be back up and running.

    -If something gives you the omfg I must click this now, do not. Look at it and think about it first. Those reflex clicks is what gets most people.

    -And if you get a pop up the best way to close them is not clicking the little X. For wndows 8 press CRTL + Shift and ESC. Clock it from the task manager. Some times they will set the pop up so that the X is really the button that will start a download so the best way it to close them from task manager.

    -And if you must have anti virus do not use Mcafee that program is a joke.



    Ok so back to the problem. What drivers are you running? The crap Asus drivers or the latest Nvidia's?


    By the sound of it the drop from 45-1fps is looking hardware related to me. Run MSI afterburner play the game and play for like 2 min after the lag spike then tab out open MSI and check the log to see if the GPU useage line dropped at that time along with the gpu core clock.
    I have uninstalled all the anti-virus softwares I have, but the problem still persists. Even when I play low demanding games such as Minecraft, I get that lag spike from about 200 fps to 1 fps....

    I am using the one that came with the laptop. I have not downloaded any driver updates or modified drivers. I just got the laptop, overclocked my GPU, downloaded my games, and played them.

    I will try out the modified driver and see if that will be able to fix the problem.

  5. #15
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    It's sad when we have to mod drivers just to get them to support our card. Gotta love Asus propertary graphic cards and now drivers. Soon were going to have systems you cant do anything on. I miss the days the G series had MXM cards and you could use new drivers without mods.



    Here you go if you want to try that.

    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

    Drive and the inf file. copy the stuff it gives you for the inf file and replace the info in the nvam file under C:\NVIDIA\...Display.Drivers

    Original thread is here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post207951
    I am having trouble installing the 314.07 driver downloaded from Nvidia's website.

    Things I did
    1) I downloaded the driver v314.07 from nvidia.com
    2) I copied the v314.07 modified .inf
    3) I then ran the driver update
    4) When I ran the Nvidia driver installer, in system check, it said that Nvidia installer cannot continue - this graphic driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
    5) I pasted the copied .inf codes and pasted over the codes in nvwin.inf
    6). I ran the Nvidia driver installer once again, but I still get the same response as in step 4)

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks,

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Reputation
    59
    Posts
    597

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkicism View Post
    I am having trouble installing the 314.07 driver downloaded from Nvidia's website.

    Things I did
    1) I downloaded the driver v314.07 from nvidia.com
    2) I copied the v314.07 modified .inf
    3) I then ran the driver update
    4) When I ran the Nvidia driver installer, in system check, it said that Nvidia installer cannot continue - this graphic driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
    5) I pasted the copied .inf codes and pasted over the codes in nvwin.inf
    6). I ran the Nvidia driver installer once again, but I still get the same response as in step 4)

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks,
    go to settings. change pc settings. general tab on the left scroll down to advanced start up settings click it it will reboot. pick trouble shooting advanced boot features disable driver signing it will be F7. Im just saying this off the top of my head so it may not be 100% right but it will be close.

  7. #17
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    go to settings. change pc settings. general tab on the left scroll down to advanced start up settings click it it will reboot. pick trouble shooting advanced boot features disable driver signing it will be F7. Im just saying this off the top of my head so it may not be 100% right but it will be close.
    Thanks a lot, bignazpwns!

    I now have no problems with any games, and everything runs really smooth!
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me overcome this issue, and now I can actually play games without having to deal with those major drops in framerates!

  8. #18
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    PLOT TWIST

    Problem still occurs...

  9. #19
    DotA 2 Addict Array DirtyCodingHabitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    166

    If I don't have any anti virus, is there a way to keep my computer safe?
    I didn't have any AV installed since I got my G75VX 3 months ago, and I had no viruses when I scanned with Malwarebytes 3 days ago .

    I can tell you that Win8 is pretty immune, as long as you update your windows, browsers, flash, java etc.

  10. #20
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    When I run MSI Kombustor to test the lag spikes, I don't get any when I use the Kombustor, but when I play games like Far Cry 3, Skyrim, and Minecraft, they all have that lag spike that I don't like.

    Also, the games are actually cracked, but I don't know if that has to do anything because I have run these games on my old laptop before and I never got a single lag spike although they were only able to handle the game at medium settings...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •