View Poll Results: would you buy one of these cases?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

0 0%
  • Probably

4 36.36%
  • Probably not

3 27.27%
  • Definitely not

4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Rocket_Assist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Foot Ginger View Post
    have you already talked to Antec?
    I actually got a response from Antec's product marketing manager. That was back at the end of february. He apreciated my work and seemed to like the Typhoon case. I haven't sent him the Maelstrom yet. However, he seemed skeptical if they would be a good investment for Antec or not. That's why I said a positive response here would really help.

Thanks, I designed it for people with small loops. I'm going to redesign the door to add room for another radiator that would be mounted like the one on the side of the Maelstrom (side door intakes). However, I'm trying to decide if it should be a single or double. I'm leaning towards a single so not to severely hurt potential Maelstrom sales.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I guess I can sort of see what he is saying. The water cooling market is relatively small so most of the cases that are designed with us in mind are either very expensive or include rad mounting almost as an afterthought. Having an inexpensive micro case built from the ground up for water cooling would be really nice but it would take some creative marketing to ensure success.

Also, if you haven't already you should post this to other enthusiast forums. We are seeing more traffic here, but a lot of that is notebook users and they won't be interested in desktop cases.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Six Foot Ginger
    you really need a design that can take on both air and water, ti be affective in today's market.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Yeah, it sounds like that's what Rocket Assist is going for. However his is water first and air second where every other affordable case is air only or water a distant second.

On an related note: it might be difficult to model, but if somehow the airflow of these cases could be modeled to show that they are effective as air cooled that might help the sales pitch. I'd be curious how many cases actually get this treatment. Based on observation it seems that a lot of cases were designed with the assumption that throwing some fans in the front and in the top or rear means good airflow. Meanwhile, back in reality, they have dead spots and pockets of hot air.

TeamROG Array

Quote Originally Posted by Six Foot Ginger View Post
    have you already talked to Antec?
    this is a key question. you are going about this all wrong . . .posting drawings on a public forum for one when you hope to sell the design is a major mistake. I had done case mods for Antec and know them. If you need help let me know but please stop posting your designs.

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like that's what Rocket Assist is going for. However his is water first and air second where every other affordable case is air only or water a distant second.

On an related note: it might be difficult to model, but if somehow the airflow of these cases could be modeled to show that they are effective as air cooled that might help the sales pitch. I'd be curious how many cases actually get this treatment. Based on observation it seems that a lot of cases were designed with the assumption that throwing some fans in the front and in the top or rear means good airflow. Meanwhile, back in reality, they have dead spots and pockets of hot air.
    I intended the cases to be equally adept at air and water cooling. That gives people options when they buy either case and a larger potential market for Antec. As far as airflow, the front and side fans are intakes while the back and top fans are exhaust. In theory the lower intake fans suck in cooler air,the air is heated, and rises towards the exhausts.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    this is a key question. you are going about this all wrong . . .posting drawings on a public forum for one when you hope to sell the design is a major mistake. I had done case mods for Antec and know them. If you need help let me know but please stop posting your designs.
    How so? Not a whole lot can be be seen and I'm not posting specifics beyond compatiblity, drive capacitiy, etc. Plus, not many people are going to put in the 60+ hours I have (research+modeling). My intent when I posted the cases here was to try to alieviate the worries Antec's chief marketing manager had about the profitability of the cases. That's why I'm looking for a large and positive response. Since you've worked with/for Antec, what do you suggest?

P.S. Antec's chief marketing manager and I have spoken several times via Email.

P.P.S. I'm not looking for more than a Maelstrom case, ~1000 dollars for a WC loop, and letter saying I helped design market products to help with college applications. If Antec wants to pay me more I wouldn't complain.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Assist View Post
    I intended the cases to be equally adept at air and water cooling. That gives people options when they buy either case and a larger potential market for Antec. As far as airflow, the front and side fans are intakes while the back and top fans are exhaust. In theory the lower intake fans suck in cooler air,the air is heated, and rises towards the exhausts.
    The contribution of convection in cooling an ATX case is negligible. If possible you should have contiguous *active* airflow from your intake(s), across all heat sources, and out the exhaust(s). The ATX specification has this to some degree but it really wasn't designed for modern components. Following in the steps of other designs will work but it isn't perfect. I'm not really sure what the solution is but it seems like starting with a good fluid model would allow case designers to make the best of a bad specification.

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    The contribution of convection in cooling an ATX case is negligible. If possible you should have contiguous *active* airflow from your intake(s), across all heat sources, and out the exhaust(s). The ATX specification has this to some degree but it really wasn't designed for modern components. Following in the steps of other designs will work but it isn't perfect. I'm not really sure what the solution is but it seems like starting with a good fluid model would allow case designers to make the best of a bad specification.
    I agree that convection is nowhere near as effective as a wind-tunnel effect, but it's better than nothing. The only options I can think of to get contiguous *active* airflow would be to put the mobo flat and have a wall of fans blowing down on it or to make a really wide case so air sucked in the front is pulled out by a line of fans on the back of the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the typical hotspots around the PSU and between grahpics cards? I was trying to make a design that created positive pressure. Because the PCI covers allow air to pass through this positive pressure should force air out between and around the graphics cards, eliminating the hotspot. I've never studied fluid dynamics so I could be way off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast