Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene Post Hang: Q-Code B6 and (mostly) 72

Vawned
Level 7
Please, someone help me.

I have this for around three or four months:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz Quad-Core
8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V GENE (LGA1155)
E2241 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ 3GB
119GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device (SSD)
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 ATA Device (SATA)
Tower Thermaltake VN400A1W2NB Commander MS1 EpiC

So here is what happened two days ago:

I booted, via pendrive (UEFI), into Ubuntu 12.10 32bits, just to test it (I was having lots of problems to boot into, to later realize it was my pendrive which had the problem, anyways...), it booted ok, I was happy, but not going to install it since it was 32 and not 64 bits. I tried and it worked just fine, I rebooted the computer, entered bios and then pressed F5 to load optimized defaults (it sounded much faster than go to boot menu and change), then F10 to save and reset, and my problem begun.

I have a post hang, there is no image on my monitor (neither with the nVidia or with the OnBoard), and my Q-Code shows B6, then I reset it, it shows 72 and don't go out of it.

I've tried using the CMOS Clear switch in the back I/O, didn't work. I tried with the PC off and the battery on, PC off with the battery off, PC on with and without the battery, it shuts down, then I turn on and 72 is there. I've searched everywhere on the internet and cannot find a solution. The Maximus V Gene manual doesn't teach you how to clear CMOS, googling CMOS Clear and the MoBo takes me to a page where it teaches, talk about a jumper, but doesn't show where the jumper is (I've tried one, I think it is L2N or something, close to the Start Button, and also tried the other right next to the CPU_OPT Fan).

The PSU and the cables are just fine, I mean, could they break out of nowhere just like that?

Please, someone help me fix this problem. 😞

edit_
I was using the latest BIOS version pretty much since I set everything up. I saw people saying: Rollback the BIOS version, I cannot do that since I cannot enter in BIOS.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, Vawned.

Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes. Then insert it back into place. Power up your system. See how that goes.

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, Vawned.

Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes. Then insert it back into place. Power up your system. See how that goes.

Tried, Still 72 (or B6, sometimes I get one B6, then it is 72 all the time).

Chino
Level 15
Downgrade your BIOS to the 1408 version using the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

1. Download the 1408 BIOS file.
2. Format a USB pendrive to FAT32.
3. Extract the BIOS file and rename the file to M5G.CAP.
4. Put the BIOS file on your USB pendrive.
5. Connect the USB pendrive to the white usb port.
6. Press the USB BIOS Flashback button/ROG Connect button for three seconds till the LED begins to blink, then release.
7. Wait until the LED stops blinking.
8. Power on your system.

Chino wrote:

6. Press the USB BIOS Flashback button/ROG Connect button for three seconds till the LED begins to blink, then release.
8. Power on your system.

I do this with the computer turned off, and the battery on, right?
I'm going to try this when I get home in seven and a half hours. Then I feedback here.

Chino wrote:

8. Power on your system.

Hi,

My name is George I am brazilian guy, my motheboard was similar problem, Q-Code 72, when I was read this post, fixed my problem.

Thanks.

Vawned
Level 7
Yes it worked!

Thank you very much, Chino. Do you have any idea what caused this?

Also, should I update my BIOS again, or better leave in this version?

Chino
Level 15
There are many possible causes that could have been the culprit. But if I had to guess, I'd say it was possibly a corrupted BIOS. Speaking of BIOS updates, a few days ago I was caught up in a little quarrel because apparently I was thrusting a belief system or doctrine of never updating the BIOS on a new guy. LOL So to avoid another misunderstanding and possibly another confrontation of me being irresponsible, abbreviated and misleading, I'll leave the decision to you. Update if you wish.

Personally I don't advocate the 1604 BIOS because there have been a few problems reported by users that updated to that BIOS.

I remember needing to update it to work better with Win8, for some compatibility issues with graphics or something, but since I rolled back to Win7 and Ubuntu I think it should be ok. And well, so far no difference in anything. I suppose I will leave this current one.

I suppose I will leave as it is.

Once again thank you very much!