Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Tried unetbootin with Ubuntu 12.10, got to selection screen chose /try without installing, the screen flshed and the usb drive light flash for about a minute then nothing. Trying pendrive again.

Quote Originally Posted by tkolarik View Post
    Tried unetbootin with Ubuntu 12.10, got to selection screen chose /try without installing, the screen flashed and the usb drive light flash for about a minute then nothing. Trying pendrive again.
    Try OpenSUSE live KDE (I don't like Gnome, but your choice) from here: http://software.opensuse.org/122/en

You have to use their live-image writer rather than unetbootin or pendrive, but if it works, you can install it and then reclaim the space on the flash-drive.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

off topic: we're lucky. a wild check for 'uefi bios brick laptops' at google just now revealed recent news regarding laptops of certain brands got bricked, because of a simple action - booting them via linux liveusbs.

so much of the security 'feature', secure boot :/

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    off topic: we're lucky. a wild check for 'uefi bios brick laptops' at google just now revealed recent news regarding laptops of certain brands got bricked, because of a simple action - booting them via linux liveusbs.

so much of the security 'feature', secure boot :/
    Phew, not an ASUS brand. I was hoping to stick to them for my next upgrade in a couple years.
    Hopefully by then the mess with UEFI and Secure-boot is sorted out and all Linux kernels will be able to boot on all brands of laptop. And I hope ASUS provides a way of turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS...do they do this now in the G75??

In my world the only machine that Windows deserves a place on is a virtual one...
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkolarik View Post
    I was able to get Debian 6.0.5 to boot but max screen resolution 1600 and couldn't install wireless device. Could try to enable persistence on the drive and try Ethernet. If that works maybe can get 1920 x 1080.
    I use Debian 6 and have installed the NVIDIA linux drivers to get the full 1920x1080 on my screen. You can download the latest bleeding-edge ones from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and compile and install them yourself, or there may be older more stable pre-compiled binaries in the Debian package archives; just run the 'synaptic' package manager and search for nvidia.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Phew, not an ASUS brand. I was hoping to stick to them for my next upgrade in a couple years.
    Hopefully by then the mess with UEFI and Secure-boot is sorted out and all Linux kernels will be able to boot on all brands of laptop. And I hope ASUS provides a way of turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS...do they do this now in the G75??

In my world the only machine that Windows deserves a place on is a virtual one...
    yeah lol!

imo the current implementation of secure boot is of limited use and benefits (support for a single-OS only; what's the point?!). if i had one i probably go for bios instead to get rid of potential troubles. yes, asus provides the a way to turning off secure boot in bios, luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post

Generally my sentiments too. I keep a native system around for those times when I need the extra performance of a Windows-only program, but for the most part, if that is the case, it is for work...and I have a company-provided work computer. When I get around to rebuilding my system over the summer (when I have more time), I will move the Windows installation to a VM, and make LINUX the native environment.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2