Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

@ASUSnoobie - go to any best buy, big electronics sort of store. however, i would recommend installing a solid state drive first, as this is the cheapest way to notice improved performance. I'm not a tech guy, but i think more ram only helps if you are using memory intense programs or want to run a ram disk.

If you want to upgrade your CPU, I think you'll have to go online as stores don't tend to stock laptops CPUs

Memory

Best site to get memory would be newegg.com. I have had no issues with them for the past 4 years.

I'd suggest DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 for your laptop. I have 24GB of memory stuffed into mine, with 16GB being Patriot Memory. I run quite a few programs (VMware) and also am a gamer. The more memory you have, the smoother it will run.

SSD's are nice, but more memory is better. I have 2x2TB Samsung drives in my laptop to store everything. No issues here and it runs well.
    Last edited by Simba7; 04-08-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    Router(Nokia IP390,4GB RAM,4x GigE SFP Ports,4x 10/100/1000mbps Ports,OpenBSD 5.5)
    MyWS(Phenom II X3 720 BE@3.3GHz,8GB RAM,2TB+2TB+1.5TB HDDs,GFGTX560Ti,LG WH12LS30 BD-RE,W7U)
    MyNB(Asus G53SX-XT1,Core i7-2630QM@2GHz,24GB RAM,2x2TB HDDs,BD-RE,W7U)
    MyMC(Pentium E5200@3.5GHz,4GB RAM,3x2TB RAID5,GFGT520,W7U)

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Obviously just my opinion as I've not done proper testing of any sort but...

Yes, I too would recommend an SSD drive before adding more memory when / if your laptop already has 16GB in it as the vast majority of users are never going to use all that memory to begin with, but will definitely notice the difference when using a new SSD drive compared to adding even more memory when you already have 16GB.

My Asus laptop started out with 8GB of RAM. I upgraded it to 16GB of RAM and noticed no difference other than when I do really big image or video editing, but for my every day usage I noticed no real performance upgrade of 8GB to 16GB. However, when I added my first SSD drive the difference was hugely noticeable with bootup times being substantially reduced to accessing programs faster to even some games that are HDD intensive being smoother as they were able to access the SSD data faster when doing so on the fly.

So, just my opinion but I'd have to say go with an SSD drive before upgrading the RAM from 8 to 16GB or 16GB to 32GB unless you have specific actual needs to be running with 32GB such as large image editing or large video editing etc (or you just have money burning in your pocket to be spent and can't find anything else more worthwhile to do with it).
    Last edited by City Builder; 04-10-2014 at 09:05 PM.

@City Builder, I agree. Having 16 GB of RAM (like I do) is less likely to be noticeable for most people. I routinely do simulations and run multiple VM's, making the extra RAM definitely noticeable. However, for most people, I would recommend getting a 128 GB SSD (or larger, 64 GB is really small) over more RAM.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2