cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX RAM upgrade

dunner87
Level 7
Hi fellow ROGers,

I am wanting to upgrade my RAM above the 16 GB it came with; I have a G74SX-A1. After searching, I've seen that it's been shown our laptops will support up to 32 GB, even though officially it's only 16. I am a hardware noob, though. I want to initially replace 2 of the 4GB sticks with 8 GB sticks. Although I don't think it would cause any problems, does anyone know if having mixed sizes (2x4GB and 2x8GB) could be an issue?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
13 REPLIES 13

bmpx
Level 7
That shouldn't matter (having mixed like that) - but you will want to pair them correctly (I don't know the slot pairings - for example on the G73JH it's 1-3 and 2-4). Make sure that both pairs are the exact same type everything (ie your two new 8gb modules should be identical).

On top of that it's best to have all of them be the same timings and speed (ie all 1333mhz and CL9s for example). But - that isn't as important because the laptop should take the lowest common denominator of them both and communicate with that (ie if your 4gbs are 1333mhz but your 8gbs are 1066mhz then your laptop should then be accessing your 4gb 1333mhz at 1066mhz because the lowest speed between them is 1066mhz). Again, this isn't as important - I like to match it all personally - but you do need to be sure the paired modules are identical in almost every way (just make sure they're absolutely identical and you're fine).

bmpx
Level 7
I should say too - that's generally what you should consider with RAM. Whether your G74SX takes 8gb modules - or can go to 32gb I don't know.

bmpx wrote:
I should say too - that's generally what you should consider with RAM. Whether your G74SX takes 8gb modules - or can go to 32gb I don't know.

Yes to both questions; see the thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6851-G74-and-8GB-Memory-DIMMs...

When I got my 4x8GB modules I tried a pair 2x8GB in my G74SX along with 2x4GB that I had in there already, for a total of 24GB. Everything ran perfectly fine. The 8B modules were Corsair, and the 4GB ones were Samsung, but they mixed and played together nicely.

I have had 32GB in my G74 for 1 1/2 years now. Never a problem.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think it is able to use.

dunner87
Level 7
Thanks to all for the replies. 24 GB now, and 32 GB sometime in the future it is.

If anyone knows off-hand, how does one determine which slots are paired? Are they marked somehow?

dunner87 wrote:
Thanks to all for the replies. 24 GB now, and 32 GB sometime in the future it is.

If anyone knows off-hand, how does one determine which slots are paired? Are they marked somehow?

I think I recall the slots are numbered 1-4, and the numbers are marked/stamped on the motherboard next to them. Slots 1&3, and 2&4 are pairs I believe.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
I think I recall the slots are numbered 1-4, and the numbers are marked/stamped on the motherboard next to them. Slots 1&3, and 2&4 are pairs I believe.

For the G53SX, which is the same model line, that is correct. However, the RAM slots are not numbered together. slots 2&3 are together, slot 1 is hidden, and slot 4 is under the keyboard.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

dunner87
Level 7
Thanks again for the replies.

Hey where did you go to get these upgrades, I just bought the G74SX an I'm looking to get as much upgrades as possible!