cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Bios Update Doubts

diamond
Level 7
Hi guys,

I own a G74SX and so far I've been using BIOS version 201.

I have this program called Asus Live Update that downloads a bunch of software from ASUS but everytime that it 'updates' it opens up the WinFlash program to update the BIOS as well.

I wanna have the better performance I can without taking any risks so my question here is what is the difference between versions of BIOS and is there any significant improvement by updating the BIOS?

I have read some topics where ppl said that the bios update ended up bricking their machines so I'm kind of worried to update mine...

What do you guys know about this?

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

fostert
Level 12
diamond wrote:
Hi guys,

I own a G74SX and so far I've been using BIOS version 201.

I have this program called Asus Live Update that downloads a bunch of software from ASUS but everytime that it 'updates' it opens up the WinFlash program to update the BIOS as well.

I wanna have the better performance I can without taking any risks so my question here is what is the difference between versions of BIOS and is there any significant improvement by updating the BIOS?

I have read some topics where ppl said that the bios update ended up bricking their machines so I'm kind of worried to update mine...

What do you guys know about this?

Thanks in advance.

The newer BIOSes for the G74SX (202 and 203) do not enhance performance *at all*. They only address annoyances like the numlock state problem that was prevalent on these forums for a while (but never properly fixed by ASUS anyway). Do not bother risking your machine with a new BIOS unless it specifically addresses a problem you are having. You will not gain anything, and may actually lose your machine.

And if you ever decide to flash a new BIOS in, for heaven's sake do not use winflash!! Asking Windows to be stable while you're doing anything risky is like asking a crocodile for a safe ride across the river on his back! Use the Easyflash utility from the BIOS itself.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Pitcher1
Level 9
i suggest you use ezflash to update BIOS at BIOS item, i think if you are using normal it is not update BIOS,i think it just performance get better and some difference code change i gues.

Update yes, winflash nooooo 😄

Ok, WinFlash I'll definetely not use but now that you mentioned the num Lock problem that still occurs in my laptop I wanna update the BIOS in the safest way possible. What are the safest softwares/ways used nowadays to update G74SX BIOS? You guys mentioned Easyflash but is there any other way that is more recommended for G74SX?

PILGRIM
Level 11
The safest way of updating BIOS is still through EazyFlash. Here's BrodyBoy's .pdf guide to it:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-simple-but-effective-.pdf-guide.-on-quot-Upd...
ASUS G74SX-3DE

The download link isn't a valid one. It appears the file got deleted... Do you have it or know any other links to the file? Thanks.

PILGRIM
Level 11
To test, I re-downloaded the attached .pdf file on the link I mentioned. I opened it and it still works.
Don't know what went wrong when you did it. Do you have Adobe Reader installed in your laptop?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Oh I didn't see that the file was attached to the topic, I thoght that the file was only available in the mediafire link that he posted... Thanks for the info and sorry for the trouble. Let's see if that will help. I'll post later if I decide to update my BIOS.