cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Issue

Retired
Not applicable
I recently built my first PC, but have been having a little (or a lot) of trouble with it. When i first turned it on, it started running, inciting cheers from my brother and I. At first it was low on voltage, so we turned it off and plugged in a few optional power cables into the case. When we turned on the computer next, we got into BIOS. We again turned of the computer, to finish up some cable management.

Upon turning on the computer again, however, the computer started got into a cycle that has started every time the computer is turned on:

1. The computer goes through POST.

2. The computer makes a single sharp bleep.

3. The screen comes up with the following message:

Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI Mode
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen 2

and after a couple seconds the line "Can't find any device." is added to the bottom.

Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI Mode
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen 2
Can't find any device.

4. The screen goes blank for a few seconds, then shows up with:

Updating iROG firmware now. DO NOT reboot or turn off computer.

after a few seconds, that becomes:

Updating iROG firmware now. DO NOT reboot or turn off computer.
Update firmware successfully.

5. The imput to the screen stops, and the cycle is started over with POST, lasting indefinitely.

Throughout this process the Boot device LED remains on (after the first POST). Unfortunately, everywhere I've looked everything done a lousy job of explaining what this means (and what the boot device actually is; i would assume its the hard drive or a disk with the OS.) If it helps, the first bleep coincides with the boot device LED turning on, so I'm not sure if the bleep is just something that happens when something wrong is detected during POST, or it means only what it said in the manual (basically that my keyboard is incompatible). Either would make sense, since i can't get my keyboard to do anything throughout the process.

If anyone has any idea what to do, I'd appreciate the help. If you need more information to help me, I'd be glad to give it to you. Thanks 🙂

EDIT: I Discovered That i can play the disk that came with the mobo during step three, but only during that step (so i have to close the disk drive at just the right time). Even then, it goes right back to step 4 after a second or two.
12 REPLIES 12

chrsplmr
Level 18
are you using an ssd??
(if you edit your profile signature..you can put your rig specs..like below in...and we will all know what we are looking at with you.)
if not..did you set ide in the bios??
a little more patience..you are almost there...board is lit..you can get in the bios??? it is something simple..finess it...
good luck..
we need a lil more info though..i think...
dont worry someone here has this answer...the big posters are always watch'n...
we just have to figure out the right question..the answers will flow..of course..
this usually leads to more questions...hahahha if we are lucky....c.

Retired
Not applicable
No SSD. The whole issue is that I have been unable to enter even the BIOS as of yet. My computer just starts this cycle as soon as I turn it on. It seems like as soon as the computer has completed step 4 (updating the iROG firmware), it restarts itself. My guess is that in reality, the firmware may not even be getting updated, which explains the loop: as soon as the computer starts step 3, it realizes that the firmware needs updating... again. I'm not really sure what is happening in step 3. My guess is that that is the preliminary to the BIOS booting. However; it keeps getting interrupted by the "need" to update the firmware for iROG. Like I said in the edit I made, I can put in the disk that came with the motherboard during step 3, and it will begin to start up. The issue is that the computer still decides it needs a firmware update, and also that the update is more important than anything else going on. 😕

Retired
Not applicable
I guess my actual question is this: How can I keep the computer from deciding the iROG needs a firmware update and/or make its update successful (causing the repetition to stop)?

I'm not sure if this is related to the "Boot Device LED" or not. What does the boot device LED actually mean?

And if its a problem, how do I deal with the Boot Device issue?

Retired
Not applicable
Working more on it, it appears that the computer has the same effect (starting to boot up BIOS) no matter what disk i put in. I think this means that any kind of imput starts the computer towards that. Only problem is that the keyboard isn't accepted as imput, so i can't actually enter bios. tsk tsk...

Raja
Level 13
Remove AC power, use one memory module in slot 4, clear CMOS, power the board up and see if you can get into BIOS (let the iROG updates complete if need be).

-Raja

I have never seen this 'irog update'. On boot??
Can someone run this past me once..or is this question for another thread?
I havent a clue what it is.
But yea..Raja, as usual is on his game.c.

hEY Raja
Im with that problem above.
As i saw the guys havent got the solution at that time, but maybe now there is.
Cuz the main option to sort it out was your post may u can help me now.

Retired
Not applicable
Well... it sort of worked the first time.

After trying what you said, Raja, the computer passed POST and actually started up BIOS on its own. Unfortunately, the keyboard still didn't work, and the computer quickly started up the iROG updater again. The computer just started up along the same cycle: failing POST due to boot device this time, yet still going through the same cycle.

Attempts to repeat this have all failed, meaning that nothing has really been even moderately successful!

HELP!!!

Retired
Not applicable
I'm RMAing the board. Thanks for trying to help 🙂