cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone re-paste their CPU/GPU on Asus G55vw?

Vicodin
Level 10
Hello,
I am curious about stock thermal used on the CPU and GPU in the Asus G55vw. I have seen a pic that appears to have thermal pads on not only the CPU and GPU, but on a few chips around the CPU. Can paste be used instead of the pads? Or are the pads needed due to dimensions or spacing for the heatsinks? For example, if one were to remove pads and apply paste, would the heatsinks still flush up?
20 REPLIES 20

bignazpwns
Level 11
Stock thermal paste is fine. All thermal paste is about 1-3c whiten each other. The big diff. is in applying it. And sadly the forced laber in China where they make the systems just cant seem to get the concept of applying thermal paste. Or if they do Foxconn gets them lol.

CPU And gpu use thermal paste. The memory uses thermal pads. You can not replace the thermal pades with thermal paste they are there to fill a gap.

I repaste all my systems with good old trusted AS5. Some i seen typical results and i did some for people that had the worst paste jobs i ever seen and seen some 10c drops.

bignazpwns wrote:
Stock thermal paste is fine. All thermal paste is about 1-3c whiten each other. The big diff. is in applying it. And sadly the forced laber in China where they make the systems just cant seem to get the concept of applying thermal paste. Or if they do Foxconn gets them lol.

CPU And gpu use thermal paste. The memory uses thermal pads. You can not replace the thermal pades with thermal paste they are there to fill a gap.

I repaste all my systems with good old trusted AS5. Some i seen typical results and i did some for people that had the worst paste jobs i ever seen and seen some 10c drops.

Sorry I did not see this post initially. What you are saying totally makes sense and what I was thinking when I seen a pic of the motherboard. I thought to myself that there is no way that all of those chips and the gpu are the exact same height and offset to all be flush on the board. I also seen the pads on the chips, so I figured they had to be there in the place of paste for a reason. When you pull the heatstink off does it ruin the pads?

Vicodin wrote:
Sorry I did not see this post initially. What you are saying totally makes sense and what I was thinking when I seen a pic of the motherboard. I thought to myself that there is no way that all of those chips and the gpu are the exact same height and offset to all be flush on the board. I also seen the pads on the chips, so I figured they had to be there in the place of paste for a reason. When you pull the heatstink off does it ruin the pads?

Some times. If they come apart you can always put them back together i mean its not really that important that its perfect. But as long as they are not dirty i have always reused mine and spliced them together with no problem.

bignazpwns wrote:
Some times. If they come apart you can always put them back together i mean its not really that important that its perfect. But as long as they are not dirty i have always reused mine and spliced them together with no problem.

You have to be the most helpful person I have ever seen on a forum. When ever I have posted a question on here you always seem to be the one with the answer. Thank You for that!

Vicodin wrote:
You have to be the most helpful person I have ever seen on a forum. When ever I have posted a question on here you always seem to be the one with the answer. Thank You for that!

NP. I do what i can.

nirO
Level 7
would like to see a video on g75 paste job ... mines needs it :-s

bignazpwns
Level 11
Just a heads up repasteing on a G75 is not a fast or easy process. I did a screw count and its something like 50 screws to get to it.

Pretty much if you dont feel comfortable just pulling it apart on your own with no vid then repasteing it is just a little to advanced for you. Its not like pulling the heatsink off and putting it on. The system has to be pretty much 90% disassembled.

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think it would be flush up again when you remove the pads.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
i think it would be flush up again when you remove the pads.

No dont even try that. If that was the case it would life the heatsink off the core.

To thick of pads and they dont squish down enough it will keep the heatsink from making proper contact with the core not allowing it to cool it properly. To think and the pads wont from a good thermal connection between the ic's and heatsink.

ITs cheaper to make a less precise heatsink with a copper core in the middle thats flat for the gpu then to machine a full heatsink that is flat for all the ic's. This is why they just leave a pretty big gap between it and the ic's and just use a thermal pad vs machining it to spec and useing thermal paste. That could easily push the price of the heatsink up x2 what it is now. And the reason why full cover water blocks are so expensive.