cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype Webcam Issues

Relle
Level 7
So I purchased a new G55 with Win8 about two weeks ago, and since then I've been noticing some problems during my Skype calls. I uninstalled the Skype that came default with Windows and installed the Skype for desktop as the one that came with it didn't have a search or history option.

So anyways, I will be in a Skype video call, and all of a sudden my webcam will crash and the little window that stays up when you minimize a call (the main window also) will entirely turn that default skype blue that is in the background of the windows, and the only way to fix it is to restart Skype entirely. All my drivers and programs are up to date so it shouldn't be anything relating to that. It doesn't happen after a specific amount of time either or after a certain even trigger, it just randomly happens. I have video calls up with my boyfriend while we live apart pretty much constantly so the fact that this is happening with my brand new laptop is rather annoying/upsetting to me.

This never used to happen on my Dell and honestly I'm not entirely sure if the culprit is Asus, Skype, or Win8, but my searches haven't turned up anything that I can directly pin on Skype or how it works in Win8.

Does anyone know what's up and/or how I can fix this?
6 REPLIES 6

UnAimed
Level 9
Hi Relle,

This is not normal behavior, I have not had any issues with the webcam during Skype calls. I would recommend that you reinstall both Skype and also the webcam driver which can be downloaded directly from the Asus support website here: https://www.asus.com/ROG/G55VW/#support_Download

Before you do however, when you go to Tools > Options and then to the Video settings tab in Skype, do you have the option of choosing Asus Virtual Camera? 18028

If so please select the Virtual camera. If the issue still persists after that then follow my instructions above and reinstall the webcam driver and Skype software.

I have ASUS USB2.0 webcam selected, when I select the ASUS virtual camera I can see myself just fine but my boyfriend says that all he sees is the continuous swirling loading icon.

UnAimed
Level 9
Okay, if you tried uninstalling skype and the drivers, restarting and then reinstalling. If that did not help then please go to Device manager > Imaging devices and right click on ASUS USB2.0 Webcam and then click uninstall.

Once you have done that, restart your computer then when it's back up and running go into Device Manager again back to the same location but then choose ''Update driver'' and it should automatically find and install the driver again.

Let me know how it goes

Pitcher1
Level 9
also check your internet Access signal, also try other utility to check is happen only on skype or other utility same.

Alright so Skype finally crashed on me again, though oddly it was different from before and I had to close it entirely because it gave me an error code (DX 0x8007000E) that wasn't going away and I wasn't able to interact with Skype at all anymore. I ran a dxdiag and didn't find any problems so I don't know what to do on that end.

So I've reinstalled Skype and the drivers just now and I'm about to restart. Just so nobody's waiting on the edge of their seat for my reply it might take a day or to for it to crash again (if it's going to).

Relle
Level 7
Okay so it happened again after the call had been up for like 15 hours. I'll wait until he gets home from work to uninstall the camera and such