cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM and SSD upgrades for Asus G75VX

Majestic5
Level 7
I haven't bought a Asus G75VX but I am ordering in 1 day. I want to get a COMPATIBLE SSD for it, and also some COMPATIBLE RAM upgrades. Can anyone recommend compatible SSDs and RAM?

Preferably on Best Buy.com because i will by this model from the site:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/7674057.p?id...
22 REPLIES 22

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think if you bough device as follow spec, it would be supported, also you can search form ROG, i saw the post about update ssd or ram.

bignazpwns
Level 11
This question has been asked 20,000 times in the past month here.

Any SSD will work. However i advise you to get a Intel 520 inless you like blue screens. Intels are the only SSd's i have never got a blue screen with outside of a Kingston Hyper X but that basically was a Intel same controller and same intel ic's.

Memory any DDR3 1600mhz will work. Dont get any low timing stuff because when you use it with your stock ram it will automatically run at 11-11-11 so it will be a waste. Just pick up this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231512 If you get it at bestbuy it will prob end up running you close to $80-$90.

bignazpwns wrote:
This question has been asked 20,000 times in the past month here.

Any SSD will work. However i advise you to get a Intel 520 inless you like blue screens. Intels are the only SSd's i have never got a blue screen with outside of a Kingston Hyper X but that basically was a Intel same controller and same intel ic's.

Memory any DDR3 1600mhz will work. Dont get any low timing stuff because when you use it with your stock ram it will automatically run at 11-11-11 so it will be a waste. Just pick up this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231512 If you get it at bestbuy it will prob end up running you close to $80-$90.

Big, have you tried the samsung 840 ssd line? Blue screens too? I'm looking at them because they look good $$ to performance.

to the OP, the intels are great quality, and BB has I think has an intel SSD 180GB for $200. IMO, and just IMO, 180GB for a boot + couple game drive is fine size wise with a 1 TB data drive. That feels a little expensive to me, but, if you want to get the SSD when you get the VX, that intel is a good quality one.

GL

noneone wrote:
Big, have you tried the samsung 840 ssd line? Blue screens too? I'm looking at them because they look good $$ to performance.

to the OP, the intels are great quality, and BB has I think has an intel SSD 180GB for $200. IMO, and just IMO, 180GB for a boot + couple game drive is fine size wise with a 1 TB data drive. That feels a little expensive to me, but, if you want to get the SSD when you get the VX, that intel is a good quality one.

GL

840 pros are nice. The non pros suck.

What makes the 520's so expensive is that the firmware is tested so much. You get a SF based drive thats more reliable then any other drive including the Samsung's who use their own controllers. Diff between the intel and the other brands useing the same SF chip? A ton of testing to make them 100% relabel and enterprise grade.

The SSD can be SATAII or III. III will run faster but honestly you wont see a diff. between SATAII and III outside of benchmarks.

As for the ram http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Vengence+4GB+DDR3+SDRAM+Memory+Module/4690385.p?id=12185080925... Paying more then you would at newegg. and its going to run at the same timings as your stock ram so its kind of a waste but the price is right for coeming from bestbuy and you wont have any issues with it. Just pick up 2 sticks of that.

rewben
Level 13
hi @Majestic5, most of us will provide you our own preferences (those we have tested and worked fine). so just pick one from the list that you wish for.

now, mine in no particular orders: samsung 840 pro, samsung 830, plextor m5p, intel 520. i also use ocz vertex 3 and 4 and have no issue.

So the SSD has to be SATA 3?

And can any DDR3 RAM fit into this laptop?

Can someone post a link to compatible RAM that is sold at best buy.com?

I am ordering the Asus G75VX TONIGHT (before I buy someone please confirm the VX is better than the VW) and i want to order extras with it so I can install them.

Majestic5
Level 7
I just saw the Asus G75VX has a 5200 rpm hard drive, should I replace it with a SSD or just go with my other choice a certain G75VW model.....(which i like alot)

Now discovering that i ask WHICH IS BETTER VW OR VX ??????

Majestic5 wrote:
I just saw the Asus G75VX has a 5200 rpm hard drive, should I replace it with a SSD or just go with my other choice a certain G75VW model.....(which i like alot)

Now discovering that i ask WHICH IS BETTER VW OR VX ??????

1) Get SSD for main drive, then 5400 1TB drive is fine.
2) VX or VW? Well, which one for which price? 🙂 Both the VX and VW have different configurations. For example, you can get a VW with a full 3d notebook screen ($2k) or you can get a VW with a 660M video card for $1150.

For the same price, and the same other componets (so same ram, same DVD, same HD, etc.) the main difference between the VW and the VX is the video card, M in the VW and MX in the VX. The 670MX in the VX is generally considered a better / faster video card than the 670M in the VW, and BOTH are faster than the 660M in the VW.

SO which is better? I would buy the VX with the 670MX video card and put an SSD in it.

GL!

cheek
Level 9
http://imgur.com/r/funny/q8PLerd
its absolutely unmistakeably clear samsung 840 is the winner. the review speaks for itself.
everyone can wax lyrical about the 520 or lack of blue screen. ignore them. you WANT this.