cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus v extreme crossfire problem when using sound card

skogbakken
Level 7
Hi, am am new to computer building adn i have a problem with my new PC, the when i use the slots it says i should use for my GPUs (top slot and the black 2b slot), but this leaves me with only the bottom slot for the sound card. and crossfire wil only work if i take out the sound card

sound card: asus xonar essence stx

GPUs: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7970 GHz EDITION 3GB GDDR5 x2

Can anyone help me/ tell me what slots to use for everything to work.
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Those vga cards are only dual slot cards if I recall correctly, are you able to fit the sound card between them?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

It wont fit, brcause the fans and the plastic cover from the gpus just stick out over the next slot. So my sound card wont fit in betwen them.

Chino
Level 15
That's because the sound card shouldn't be between them. Even if you have the space, it won't work because the second slot is disabled when the third, fourth or sixth slot is occupied.

Using the default configuration for crossfire (first and third slots), you should be able to fit your sound card in the fifth slot.

It wont fit, but wil it work if i use the fifth slot and the second slots for the GPUs and the fourth slot for the sound card?

Zka17
Level 16
A PCIe extender may be worth in your situation, to use that 5th slot for the sound card... - you should use the graphics cards in the slot recommended by the manufacturer for optimal working...

Chino
Level 15
See if your GPUs can fit in the first and second slot. You can then insert your sound card in any of the remaining slots (except the third slot).

ok, i have tried to put the GPUs in the first and the second slot but they wont fit, and at first i tried the way asus said would me best in the user maual, GPU 1 in slot 1, and GPU 2 in slot 2b, when doing this the only other slot i could put my soundcard in was the fifth slot, and when i did that crossfire dindt work. i tested my other theory where i put GPU 1 in the second slot and GPU 2 in the fifth slot, with the sound card in the forth slot, and this worked, but wil this be a optimal setup?

Zka17
Level 16
Optimal for your graphics cards would be to run them at 16X...

so if i used the first slot and the 2b slot (as is recomended from asus) and used a PCIe extender from the forth slot is what you would recomend? and if so do you have any tips for a good PCIe extender i could use?