cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crysis 3 versus Crysis: Graphical Comparison

Mankz
Level 10
“..But can it play Crysis?”
In late 2007 gamers all over the world were scrambling to upgrade and buy new systems in order to meet the lofty requirements of Crysis. At the time, the recommended specifications were a Core 2 Duo running at 2.2GHz, 2GB of RAM and most expensively of all, an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB graphics card. To put things in context, those specs can still playBattlefield 3, and the forth coming ARMA III today.
There was no doubt that Crysis set the benchmark in graphics. Modern games are still often compared back to it today, so what better game to compare it to than the latest installment in the Crysis series, Crysis 3.
We’ll look at a range of factors including screenshots from throughout the games, textures when zoomed in, memory usage and the thermal load on the graphics card when at a set fan speed.

http://rog.asus.com/212102013/gaming/crysis-3-versus-crysis-graphical-comparison/
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm while the graphics are of course getting better I don't think they are whole magnitudes better and when it seems that an awful lot of effort is going into getting smaller and smaller returns and not much into story I can't help think the game industry is concentrating too much in only one direction. I would be a lot happier if they put a lot more development money into story, voice acting etc.

Pixel peeping textures is no measure of a good game and I wish it would become a side note in game reviews instead of the main focus. in this example I would be perfectly happy to play at the Crysis level of graphics a game that had expanded story, play time and cinematic experience than play a rehash with better Textures, Anti Aliasing etc.

Seithan
Level 7
From the screenshots and actual gameplay ofc, the game doesnt look its optimized atm. Sometimes its running at 99% gpu and sometimes it drops lower than 50%.

Im not sure whats happening - i aint using hyperthreading but a 2500k @4k, but comparing Crysis3 to BF3, i can say that BF3 uses the system in a % consistent ratio resulting in stable (and high) FPS.

I believe that the optimazation of Crysis3 is hardly from over. The only question is - will Cryo get down to it?

Swmp40
Level 7
other than a few freazing instances i ran this game damn near full boar maxed out settings with out a hitch....

I 7 @ 4.7/ intel closed loop water cooler /ripjaws 1600 4X8 GB / ASUS GTX660 x1/ maximus v extreme/ OCZ vertex 90G SSD/

HiVizMan
Level 40
Graphics are such a key part of the PC game experience these days, and folks want near photo realism most of the time for bragging rights I guess. I agree with Arne that this quest of perfect graphics is in many ways secondary to the game itself, the game should be what drives a buyer to shell out money to play not how good the graphics are.

That being said Crysis 3 is far from optimised as yet, and I suspect that it will be via the community that mods or major tweaks will come, or at least I hope so.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Graphics are such a key part of the PC game experience these days, and folks want near photo realism most of the time for bragging rights I guess. I agree with Arne that this quest of perfect graphics is in many ways secondary to the game itself, the game should be what drives a buyer to shell out money to play not how good the graphics are.

That being said Crysis 3 is far from optimised as yet, and I suspect that it will be via the community that mods or major tweaks will come, or at least I hope so.
Yep i am with you on this one. I have the DELL 30" monitor and 2 gtx690 and the top of the line basically and all this hardware can still only do so much. The story line is the key for me the graphics can take care of themselves in accordance with the quality of your hardware that we are using.
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE

Frraksurred
Level 7
I'm a "whole picture" kind of guy. Graphics are important to me, I've invested in multiple 30" IPS' for that reason... however, story, animation, voice acting and pioneering new mechanics and genres are all equally important to me.

If I play a well written and executed game, with poor graphics, I am going to be focused on, and complaining about, its seemingly singular blemish. "This game is sooo good, if only they'd put the effort into the graphics too, it would be near perfect." That is a statement I think every gamer can look back and confess too uttering something similar too, be it related to graphics or otherwise. After playing BF3, I can hardly stand to play something with stiff, outdated animations. Pulls me straight out of the immersion. As new games raise the bar in one area or another, we all tend to adjust our standards, intentionally or not. For that reason, and to every Dev's dismay, it has ALL become important to me. :cool:
FIRE~
Cosmos S || Evga E760 "Classified" || i7 960 @ 4.0Ghz w/ H100 || 6 Gb Dominator GT || Torqx 128Gb SSD || 2TB Caviar Black || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || CM Silent 1000 || 3 x Dell U3011 *7680x1600* || 5.1 - Marantz / Axiom / Velodyne || 64bit Win7

ICE~
Cosmos S || Evga NF71-A1 || E8500 || 4 Gb XMS2 || 1TB Caviar Black || XFX 5870 XXX || X-Fi || PC&C Silencer 750 || XHD3000 || 64bit Win7

piddlefoot
Level 7
The third SLI or crossfire slot on motherboards should be a dedicated physic's card.Games really lack a huge amount of physic's.The motherboard builders and CPU builders need to get together and fix there systems and bios's up to run the third video slot to physic's, and do it like direct-x , make all the companies use the same code for physic's.
Imagine a crossfired video system with a 7990 dual gpu as a physic's card, sheesh, the game coders would have a whole new fandangle engine to run/build.

Adhy_Dharma_FN
Level 7
game "CRYSIS"created with CryENGINE software. It's very expensive software
Next Build
- AMD Vishera FX-8350
- AMD Radeon HD 7870