cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74-SX-A1 fails to boot up now and then

MattD
Level 7
Hi all, I've been having this issue within the past few days where I can start hearing things inside my laptop and it fails to boot up now and then, there's also been times where it just overheats lately(something that rarely happens, especially I wasn't playing a graphic heavy game at that time) and it may be one of the sources of the problem. I checked bluescreen view and it seems like the problem only seems to persist during start up since there's no report on any blue screen since August of last year.

Is there any way I could figure out the problem and the solution for it? my initial idea was that a core hardware(motherboard or HDD) may be failing, this laptop was originally bought in the 2nd week of October 2 years ago.
4 REPLIES 4

MattD
Level 7
To elaborate a bit further, the noise seems to be a constantly repeating sound, and if the PC does boot up, it takes a bit longer than it usually does.

If it is a heat issue, try taking the laptop into a cold space (e.g. open a window in you room to the outside winter air for a while) and boot and use. If the problems disappear it likely is a heat issue. Perhaps the CPU may not be in thermal contact with the heatsink anymore (due to degraded thermal paste, and/or the heatsink has jarred loose from heavy and frequent moving). You may also need to blow out the fans and heatsink grille at back with some compressed air. At any rate, doing a repaste is a teardown job, and you may want to consider having someone else do it, like a local shop.

Just in case, download and run memtest86+ to check the memory. That will also give the CPU's memory controller a good workout, and may heat up the CPU to the point of a hang or reboot. In any case, at least you would have determined its not software.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think it is hdd problem, change other hdd and try again.

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Backup any important files on your OS HDD, in case it is actually beginning to fall.

2) Check the Windows System Event Log for Disk Errors.

Do you have Western Digital or Seagate HDD's? Run an HDD diagnostic utility such as Data Lifeguard for WD or SeaTools for Seagate (the extended test on a bookable CD) to determine if your HDD's are sound. If your OS HDD fails the test, replace it.

3) If it passes the HDD diagnostic test, run CHKDSK C: /F from an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on the Command Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator" from the popup menu) to confirm your file system is sound.

If file system errors are found, run the Windows System File Checker command, SFC /scannow, also from an elevated Command Prompt, to eliminate possible corruption in the Windows System files.

4) Load up HWINFO64 and configure it to log CPU and GPU temperatures to determine if you have an overheating issue. Note your laptop's idle temperatures (no other applications running). If your laptop shuts down unexpectedly, restart it and open the log file to determine the maximum temperature recorded by your processors.

5) As recommended by @fostert, run memtest86+ for at least 3 passes to determine if your memory is sound.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT