cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Power Brick/Cord Went Bad, Need Advice

Enigma
Level 9
Earlier today something very strange happened, I plugged into an outlet and I heard a low electrical popping noise (I hadn't connected the laptop yet), which I believe to be a power surge. I had my hand on the cord and felt a sudden burning sensation immediately, and I jerked back. I then checked the cord and it had a split in it where it had presumably been burned open by the electric current, with the bare wiring exposed. I'm assuming this issue is very rare and I have no reason to believe that it has happened to alot of G75VW owners. I haven't been doing strange things to my laptop like OCing or any really heavy activities that would put alot of pressure on the hardware. But anyways, when I plug into any outlet the green light indicator on the brick no longer turns on at all. I have tested with numerous outlets in different places, and everything was working fine up until a few hours ago. I have not had any similar issues with other devices that I plug into these outlets.

So the question I would like to ask is, where should I buy a new cord/brick? Does it matter whether it's official ASUS, or will any compatible equipment from sites like Amazon/eBay be just as good? And what about an aftermarket replacement (i.e. from some no-name Asian company that sells generic replacements)? Will I see a significant difference in charging times/performance/other issues depending on where I get it from? Is there a big difference in quality depending on where I get it from?

I have found numerous results on Amazon from sellers that have cords/bricks for the G75, but I also know that the G75 has numerous different models available, and I'm wondering whether the parts for one particular model of G75 is compatible with all the other models that ASUS sells (i.e. G75VW-BT22, G75VW-TS72, etc). I also know that it takes a certain amount of volts/watts fora laptop to adequately charge, which explains why ASUS gaming laptops have huge bricks. I dont want to buy a brick that wont be able to supply enough power. Where can I go to buy one locally, if possible? I've tried several repair shops, CompUSA, and Best Buy, but they dont have it. Target sells generic universal chargers but I dont think they're adequate enough. A few of the results I've found:

http://www.amazon.com/Hipower-Adapter-G75VW-BBK5-Notebook-Computers/dp/B008FQHE1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

http://www.amazon.com/iTEKIRO-G55VW-DS71-G55VW-ES71-G75VW-DS72-3D-G75VW-DS73-3D/dp/B0096Y7N4C/ref=sr...

http://www.amazon.com/ADAPTER-Series-G75VW-NS72-LAPTOP-CHARGER/dp/B009JHTY1G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Thanks for any help!

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".
11 REPLIES 11

bignazpwns
Level 11
Any of them will work. I say get the newer one from a VX its thinner.

Enigma
Level 9
Thanks, I decided to go for a 3rd party brick. I did so because I had bought one a few yrs ago from some Asian company and it appeared to work even better than the ones by ASUS.
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

Pitcher1
Level 9
it is ok, but you shold be follow spec when you buy form 3th party.

After buying a 3rd-party brick from Amazon (GPK Systems) I can definitely say it doesn't seem quite up to par compared to the original ASUS bricks. It gets unusually hot, the cord is a bit shorter than I expected, and doesn't weigh as much as I think it should (compared to ASUS bricks). It charges the laptop just fine and everything seemed OK at first, but I noticed after a while that it gets pretty hot, and when that happens I start to suddenly experience alot of random unexplained lag that comes and goes, even though everything seems normal at first. I have tested on a fresh Windows 8 install with only my games and no other programs plus updated drivers, and this still happens. It does not seem to matter what game I'm playing, or whether it's new or old. My FPS doesnt seem quite as high as it used to be either. The only logical explanation I can think of is that the brick is not able to provide enough power to the laptop when the system is under stress, and so lag and sluggishness occurs.

The specs on the sticker say:

Input: 110V-240V, 2.5 A, 50/60 Hz
Output: 19V, 7.9A

No other details are given. This seems sufficient but..........

Does anyone know of any other company/brand that sells replacement bricks which meet or exceed what is made by ASUS? I'm on a tight budget and buying the brick and cord directly from ASUS will cost me alot more than I would pay elsewhere, and after all the manufacturer product is what went bad on me in the first place without explanation. It has already been stated that many of the G models use the same brick, so it is safe to assume that any brick on Amazon/eBay that claims to be original ASUS (with a pic, of course) is sufficient? I've already contacted the seller and told them I'm dissatisfied, their response was that noone else has complained but they agreed to give a full refund after I mail it in.

Thanks for any replies!

Keta
Level 7
Will be tracking thread as I am having similar issues. I wish there was a simple replacement adapter for the FA180PM111 Asus adapters.

Vicodin
Level 10
My G55 is only 2 months old and it came with a nice slimmer power brick. The numbers are a little off from your's. I know I have a G55, and that is why I am listing the specs on mine. The G75 should be the same, if not more powerful because of larger screen and GPU difference. The specs on my G55 power brick are as follows.

Model: FA180PM111

Input
100-240v
50-60hz
2.5A

Output
19.5V
9.23A

So, if I am right, here is the formula for watts. W = VxA (Watts = Volts x Amps)
That would mean that my stock G55 brick is 180 watts, and the one you now have is 150 watts.

Enigma
Level 9
Thanks, Vicodin, your formula sounds about right, since the brick I just returned is exactly 150, and that apparently wasn't enough. As soon as I received it it just seemed inferior even despite doing OK at first, but once I had a closer look I knew it wasn't up to par. I never had the issues listed above with the original supply, even despite it going bad.

I am now relying on a borrowed cheapo universal Targus supply which barely powers the G75, but I need to be able to use it for school and business. Playing games is pretty much impossible and very uncomfortable because of the severe lag. I even visited a local store called BatteriesPlus (they're nationwide in the States) but they don't have an original suppy for the G75 and in fact they are selling exactly the same one I bought online. CompUSA/Tiger Direct doesn't have it either. I just wish I could buy this locally.

I doublechecked the specs of the GPK supply and now see that it wasn't sufficient. It's not enough that ASUS' s own brick burns me and the cord practically melts. So I've decided decided that I'm going with 3rd party yet again rather than original, but this time I want to be sure that whatever I get is up to spec. Normally I usually go for original but not this time.

I did check the specs of the G75's supply on ASUS's website, and everything seems clear except the amperage it uses. I know the voltage must be the same or close. Can someone list this? I'm currently looking at the HIPOWER adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Hipower-Adapter-G75VW-BBK5-Notebook-Computers/dp/B008FQHE1Y), as well as the iTEKIRO (http://www.amazon.com/iTEKIRO-G55VW-DS71-G55VW-ES71-G75VW-DS72-3D-G75VW-DS73-3D/dp/B0096Y7N4C/ref=sr...). The first seems to be the way to go since the specs seem to match the ASUS original. Just not clear on the amps. A Velcro strap (to secure the cord) is nice but not a must. Whatever I get must also be sufficient enough to hold up to GPU/CPU OCing, since I'm planning to mess around with that with the help of a friend (never done it myself). Does supply really make a big difference in this regard? Also, if anyone has any other suggestions or knows of a supply which exceeds what ASUS makes then plz list it. Weight is no issue and price isn't either as long as said product is unlikely to go bad soon. I've looked around and have had a hard time finding 3rd-party supplies for the G75 which meets these standards. I'm also making the assumption that any supply with equal or higher specs to original should be sufficient.

I'm going to hold off on making a purchase until there are more replies. Thanks for any advice!

I apologize for waking this thread from the dead. I am having the same problem with the power supply described above. I am currently using a 3rd party power supply with the correct specs. After a month or so of normal behavior (this includes running games) It now connects and disconnects once i play a game or do anything that is gpu intensive.

Could I have any help with this?

EDIT:I am currenly using a G75VW

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

Do you know the wattage of your current AC adapter and can you check the current and voltage rating that should be printed under the adapter?

If you check under your notebook (remove the battery), you will see the matching input requirements of 19V, 9.5A for the G75VW 180W adapter.

If your notebook is still under warranty and you still have the original (defective?) AC adapter, try to get it replaced under warranty.

Otherwise, if it's necessary, you can purchase the ASUS G75VW adapter from the U.S. and Canadian eStore site if you are located in this region, but we may need to check the other things first: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3619