cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX + 220w psu + OC = Need more power

bignazpwns
Level 11
Long story short i maxed out the stock 180w pretty fast switched to the spare 230w and again maxed that out so i will be looking for a 330w here shortly to finish my bench runs.

Few things even when the system was getting full power before i passed that fine line the temps were never over 70c and before i hit the point of taking way more power then the psu's were pumping out i did meet up with some GTX 680m's. Then i pushed it some more and the scores took a nose dive lol. Clocks were all 100% stable but i cant say for a fact the 1500 was stable. It ran but from the score i can tell it was not getting the power it needs so i can only say the 1450 was stable since that was my last full power run.

Official scores will not be uploaded or published until i have finished if i decide to.

On a side note this is by far the best nvidia gpu i have ever had. And to be honest it beats my legendary Q6600 i had and thats really saying a lot. So much so that i decided to buy this system just because of this beyond golden sample GTX 670MX that is in it.

Also dont mind the 2gig stick i had it sitting on my desk for a few months from a system upgrade for a guy so i just thought i would slap it in and make some use out of it.

Also if anyone was wondering the memory starts to get slight artifacts at 2650mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/357357

So that's all till i get a 330w psu here. I dont feel like modding the one from my MX18 so it could be a week or so before i post some stable max balls to the wall benches that bridge that gap between the GTX 670MX and a GTX 680m with a slight overclock. Really pushing to hit 1700 on this gpu but if i can only get it stable at 1450-1500 im happy with it.

PS. As you can see this is why systems with GTX 680m's come with bigger and better psu's. I maxed out that 180w stock psu pretty fast.
40 REPLIES 40

suls00
Level 8
bignazpwns wrote:
Long story short i maxed out the stock 180w pretty fast switched to the spare 230w and again maxed that out so i will be looking for a 330w here shortly to finish my bench runs.

Few things even when the system was getting full power before i passed that fine line the temps were never over 70c and before i hit the point of taking way more power then the psu's were pumping out i did meet up with some GTX 680m's. Then i pushed it some more and the scores took a nose dive lol. Clocks were all 100% stable but i cant say for a fact the 1500 was stable. It ran but from the score i can tell it was not getting the power it needs so i can only say the 1450 was stable since that was my last full power run.

Official scores will not be uploaded or published until i have finished if i decide to.

On a side note this is by far the best nvidia gpu i have ever had. And to be honest it beats my legendary Q6600 i had and thats really saying a lot. So much so that i decided to buy this system just because of this beyond golden sample GTX 670MX that is in it.

Also dont mind the 2gig stick i had it sitting on my desk for a few months from a system upgrade for a guy so i just thought i would slap it in and make some use out of it.

Also if anyone was wondering the memory starts to get slight artifacts at 2650mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/357357

So that's all till i get a 330w psu here. I dont feel like modding the one from my MX18 so it could be a week or so before i post some stable max balls to the wall benches that bridge that gap between the GTX 670MX and a GTX 680m with a slight overclock. Really pushing to hit 1700 on this gpu but if i can only get it stable at 1450-1500 im happy with it.

PS. As you can see this is why systems with GTX 680m's come with bigger and better psu's. I maxed out that 180w stock psu pretty fast.

What bios are you running? I am really wanting to change my bios and overclock this beast even more then the standard +135 but i have heard so many horror stories when messing about with the bios.

Any tips?

gokica
Level 10
Thanks for the input. My question would be:

If I keep my G75VX CPU at stock with 2 RAM sticks, 750HDD plus one SSD, what would be the highest clock/voltage that the 180W PSU could handle on the GTX 670MX?

And one more thing. I noticed that the ASIC quality is 83%. Some MSI laptops with the same card but with 1.5GB of VRAM can get to higher clocks at default voltage while having an ASIC quality of 73-75%. How is this possible?

Thanks.

gokica wrote:
Thanks for the input. My question would be:

If I keep my G75VX CPU at stock with 2 RAM sticks, 750HDD plus one SSD, what would be the highest clock/voltage that the 180W PSU could handle on the GTX 670MX?

And one more thing. I noticed that the ASIC quality is 83%. Some MSI laptops with the same card but with 1.5GB of VRAM can get to higher clocks at default voltage while having an ASIC quality of 73-75%. How is this possible?

Thanks.

First you gotta remember that overclocking is more then just moving a slider if you wanna get anything higher then what programs like Afterburner will allow. Also remember that no two gpu's are the same and measuring the quality of the gpu with GPUZ via ASIC is very inaccurate. I have seen cards with less then 100% overclock much higher then cards that had 100%. Take the ASIC with a grain of salt. Also the MSI GT70 i had came with a larger psu then the one with the G75 but i can not comment on any of the other MSI systems.

As always again i can not comment on what clocks you should be able to get since each system is diff and the G75's power components just were never really meant for this kind of abuse. Its more then just a issue with the PSU. If you can feed it the power when your running a super high oc you are putting a hurt to the internal power regulation and other components inside the system. So the most i will say is +135 on the core remember you are now dealing with a 75w gpu that can suck some power when its overclocked. I think my heavily overclocked GTX 660m was only 85w at the max i'll have to go back and look up some numbers on that.

I really wont give any info out on getting to this point because the G75's were never meant to have a GPU sucking this much power. Stock 1005 load the cpu and gpu alone are using 120w. Also keep in mind that the stock PSU may say 180w but chances are it will be closer to 150w. If enough interest is shown i can go check this out and also check out the noise and ripples on the psu but from what i seen i'm going to say the actual output is lower then 180w but i cant post any number until i get at least 2 more psu's in my hands and check them out and do some testing. On the upside it would give me a new reason to use the new o-scope at work lol.

So i wont be posting any info on getting any higher clocks then the +135. Really i dont feel like playing IT for everyone with a VX when they run into problems because they fail to see the G75's power limits. Also why the GTX 660m was able to be cranked up and the stock power system handled it fine the 670MX on the other hand is not the case and you can damage some circuits on your motherboard and this will not be covered under warranty so it will end up costing about $350-$400 to fix it. But after i finish pushing this thing to the limits i'll go ahead and do a thread about what safe clocks can be achieved with the stock system and no mods. I was able to get pretty close to stock GTX 680m preformace with a bone stock G75VX with just a overclock on the GTX 670MX but as always your results will vary.

And a side note i wont be pushing this system as hard as i would normal push one on a suicide run. I will be buying this just for the GPU to have since its beyond the golden sample and i'm not going to waste my money. But if Asus wants to send me out a VX i'll have a adapter to my L2N pot made at my work and strap on the pot, crank up the volts and see if i can hit the wall with the 330w psu lol

Update.

I started looking for some 330w psu's. Found a few online i'll go ahead and order one Monday and i should have it Thursday or Friday. Depending on how we are doing in heroics this week i might be able to push it that weekend or it might have to wait until the week after.

bignazpwns wrote:

I started looking for some 330w psu's. Found a few online i'll go ahead and order one Monday and i should have it Thursday or Friday. Depending on how we are doing in heroics this week i might be able to push it that weekend or it might have to wait until the week after.

Any tunable voltage power supply (i.e. with a knob) with enough Wattage will do: remember, DC is DC. I've even run my laptop from a 1200W tunable unit in our physics shop with no problems. Just make sure your polarity is right (i.e. + to +, - to -). Go to your local Physics or Electical Eng. dept. at a college or university and borrow a tunable unit. That way you'll never be at a loss for power.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Any tunable voltage power supply (i.e. with a knob) with enough Wattage will do: remember, DC is DC. I've even run my laptop from a 1200W tunable unit in our physics shop with no problems. Just make sure your polarity is right (i.e. + to +, - to -). Go to your local Physics or Electical Eng. dept. at a college or university and borrow a tunable unit. That way you'll never be at a loss for power.

I know I have a degree in electronics engineering lol.

I would have never guessed that this "little" computer could do so much.

Look forward to the results of this.
GU603HM
16GB RAM
2x2TB Samsung 980 Pro
Wicked Fast Nitrous LS7 Corvette

zeng408
Level 7
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5598 +135/1000 lol 😄

gokica
Level 10
Thanks once again. The MSI laptop and my G75VX were OCed with Nvidia Inspector running the same drivers.

The MSI went to 820Mhz max while mine hit the wall at 760Mhz. A huge difference.

OK looking forward to see your results.

PS. Regarding the PSU testing it would be interesting if you could do it. Although personally I would be most interested if I had the ability to OC much higher. Otherwise whether it has a max of 150 or 180W makes no difference.

For me it will only be possible if I have the chance to learn how to unleash the GTX 670 MX.

gokica wrote:
Thanks once again. The MSI laptop and my G75VX were OCed with Nvidia Inspector running the same drivers.

The MSI went to 820Mhz max while mine hit the wall at 760Mhz. A huge difference.

OK looking forward to see your results.

PS. Regarding the PSU testing it would be interesting if you could do it. Although personally I would be most interested if I had the ability to OC much higher. Otherwise whether it has a max of 150 or 180W makes no difference.

For me it will only be possible if I have the chance to learn how to unleash the GTX 670 MX.

Max I could pull with the stock PSU was 810. The PSU liming it.