cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme causing Display Driver to stop responding/recover?

Freko
Level 7
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 314.14 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This happens when i try to play games. Ex: World of Warcraft, Sim City, etc.
It will happen within 1 to 10 minutes into playing a game with graphics on high / ultra. With graphics all the way on low it still occurs but takes 10+ minutes to have the same issue.

I'm using:
Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard
Asus DirectCU II OC Geforce GTX680
Intel Core i7-3770k 3.50GHz
Corsair h100i
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 2133
Corsair ForceGS 240GB SSD
Corsair HX1050 power supply
Windows 7 64bit

Everything is connected properly and i get code A0 on the motherboard.
Graphics card has both 8 and 6 pin connected and is running.
I've tried HDMI and DVI / VGA wires.
Everything else runs fine. its just when i try to play games.

I originally purchased an ASUS GTX670 and was having the same issue right away.
Believing the card was defective i returned it and then decided to go with the GTX680.
It was working fine for awhile if i kept the games refresh rate synced with monitor and graphics on medium / high.
then the problem started happening again after a few weeks.

I have all the drivers updated (BIOS / Graphics / Processor etc.). i even tried installing older drivers for the graphics card.
i uninstalled the driver completely and installed again and same issues.

I didn't overclock and i tried keeping all the settings to default.
i then tried increasing voltage / power settings and no luck there.

I even took out the lithium battery on the motherboard and waited 15 seconds and put it back in as well (as told by an Asus chat support) they asked me if drivers were up to date as well and after awhile they believe it may be motherboard hardware issues.

I put the graphics card in my old computer and it didn't have any issues at all with graphics all the way up etc.
so i believe it must be caused by the motherboard or a setting somewhere but I'm not sure what else to check.

Anyone have any solutions or other ideas?
Or how to send the motherboard in to get repaired or replaced if there is no simple solutions with settings and such?
11 REPLIES 11

dogmagog
Level 7
That's almost certainly a driver issue, the NVIDIA drivers are trying to transcode tasks to the iGPU and its poor performance causes Windows/Dx to think the whole system is overloaded and begin recovery procedures.

What you should do first, if you haven't already, is disable the iGPU in the BIOS, but that might not be enough.

Try disabling the NVIDIA Optimus enhancements flags in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\CoprocManager\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\CoprocManager\

Set both "OptimusEnhancements" dword entries to 0 and see if that stops it. (or you could disable transcoding for each particular game by setting the appropriate flags on the driver profile with nvidiaInspector)

If that doesn't help, then it's probably not the actual game causing the problem directly, but some background task like DWM.exe feeling neglected and acting up. A few things could help, disabling the Multimedia Class Scheduler (MMCSS) is probably the simplest and easiest. You can also run a background task priority sorter, like Process Lasso, which is very effective.

Beyond that, as a last resort, you could try messing directly with DirectX's registry settings, but I don't recommend it, that should be solvable with less obstructive means.

Okay so... i couldn't find where to disable the iGPU in the BIOS settings. i found the IGPU voltage but i didn't get an option to disable that either. I didn't get Process Lasso because it wanted me to purchase it.
I don't know what to mess with in the DirectX's registry settings.

Other than that i did set both Optimus Enhancements dword entries to 0.
Used Nvidia Inspector and added / applied a couple games in it.
and disabled MMCSS in Services.

Still getting the same issues so far. 😞

nikosa43
Level 12
Hi there, do you have VIRTUE MVP installed? In my case that stopped me to play some games,(crashed on Desktop). If you have it installed, maybe its a good idea to uninstall it and give a try without it.

Yeah i disabled it at first but also uninstalled it as well and still have the same issue

Freko
Level 7
I found out where to disable the iGPU and make the PCI-E the default but it didn't solve the issue either. maybe ill have to play around more with BIOS settings. if there is any other ideas or specific settings that may help solve this please let me know ! 😛

nikosa43
Level 12
Can you try and change Pci slot to your graphics card? It doesn't matter if it's not in the first x16 slot. Try the second one.

Yeah I tryed 3 pci-e slots

nikosa43
Level 12
Because you mentioned that you tested the card to your old computer and you didnt have any problem. Did you use the same PSU or the old computer has its own? If yes, connect the old PSU to your current rig and see if it will happen again. That way we put the PSU out of the equation.

dogmagog
Level 7
The settings I have in nvidiainspector for transcoding are these, applied to the global profile

iGPU Transcoding SHIM_IGPU_TRANSCODING_DISABLE (0x0)
Optimus flags for enabled applications SHIM_MCCOMPAT_USER_EDITABLE (0x2)
Shim Rendering Mode Options per application for Optimus SHIM_RENDERING_OPTIONS_IGPU_TRANSCODING (0x2000)

Also, disable any PCIe throttling options, both in Windows power options (Link State Power Management set to off) and in the drivers (prefer maximum performance setting), and launch nvidiainspector with these shortcut settings, you only need to do it once and they should remain till reboot

\nvidiaInspector.exe -requestElevation -forcePState:0,0 -setPStateLimit:0,0

That should disable all transcoding and throttling, if it doesn't then it might be the power supply not providing enough current, like nikosa43 said.