cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone check my water cooling shopping cart?

Daskful
Level 7
Hey guys,

I'm putting together my first custom loop. I started with an i7-3820 on my Rampage IV Extreme with a Corsair H100 when I put it together summer of last year. I was intending to upgrade to a custom loop once I could afford a 3930k and the cooling system itself. And that time has come, although it took longer than I estimated because of various personal delays. I purchased the i7-3930k last week and want to get started on buying parts.

Now, for the cooling system itself. I only intend to do a simple CPU loop for the time being. GPU will come later on because I'm a noob at this and I didn't want to extend the the area of cooling to every components just yet. Plus, I don't ever think I'll upgrade to a CPU higher than a 3930k anyway, so I have pretty much future proofed my rig CPU-wise. Therefore, I might as well put it under water. Attached to this thread is my current cart in FrozenCPU. Please feel free to give me feedback of any kind or suggest alternatives of any kind. I also haven't decided on a reservoir and fans.
18 REPLIES 18

Krindor
Level 11
I would recommend taking a look at another radiator as that rad has a very high fpi which will require a stronger fan, I would recommend Alphacool nexxxos UT60 as it is close to half the prize and it has won most tests.

The CPU is okay but I would recommend that you look around and find one that you really like, there are some tests out there where you can check performance as well as looks, I would recommend you to take a look here, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?282245-Stren-s-2012-CPU-Water-Block-Roundup

As for the coolant you will need some type of biocide if you´re buying pure water, a coolant might be a better choice if you're new to wc.

Also an aftermarket top for the pump is recommended. There are some tops that are a top/res combo.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Zka17
Level 16
I agree with Krindor regarding the Black Ice GTX Xtreme radiator... it's very dens and you will need really strong fans for it - and that will sound like a jet taking off near you... try to stay below 10 fins per inch...

The UT60, indeed, is a really nice one... but that "60" means it's thickness... - just be sure that fits in your case!

That tubing is my preferate! :cool: Very useful the threaded pump housing, with that you don't need any other top, it's ready for use (unless, you want other design)

Buying that coolant is a total waste of time!!! It's pure/distilled water which can be purchased for much less in any convenience store... for long term the biocide may be a good idea... - but if you design your loop for easy fill up and drain, then you can just change the distilled water more frequently and will be no problem... (maybe spend the money for some biocide instead of that coolant)

I can not see in your cart, but a reservoir can be a very useful part of your loop... 🙂

Daskful
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback, Krindor and Zka17.

I have a Corsair 800D (I bought this back in October 2012 because NZXT Switch 810 was just horribly plastic-ly fragile - plus I picked it up for $150), sorry for forgetting to mention that. The reason why I haven't put up a fan on the list is because I've been reading that the rad you choose is dependent on the fans you use or something. As for reservoir, I'm still in the middle of deciding it. Thanks for the comment about the distilled water, too. And what's an aftermarket top for the pump?

I really just want to take the best setup I can do, I can't do any of those crazy case modding due to the lack of knowledge and tools (mostly the tools area). I'm also concern with the quietness, so thanks for bringing up the possible jet strumming with the Black Ice GTX Xtreme. I'm trying to study some of the 800D build logs but most of their builds are so... well, way out of the league of what I'm trying to do.

Taoism
Level 7
As others have stated: check out some other radiators. Lower fins per inch is desirable unless you don't mind the noise of loud fans. Another option, if you have the room is to do a push/pull arrangement on the rad with a fan on either side (two pushing air through while the other two pull it out, as the name implies).
i use a pump res combo from xspc and have been very happy with it:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10038/ex-res-161/XSPC_X2O_750_Dual_525_Bay_Reservoir_Pump_-_Update...

This simplified the plumbing a bit compared to separate parts and lowered the number of fittings involved, making for less possible locations to leak. That pump/res combo runs a loop of my CPU block, my GPU block and a 2x140 radiator, so I think it will be more than enough power for a single block set up.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can get a full size 360 RAD in the top of that 800D in push or pull...i.e. with one set of 25mm fans along one side. Something like an EK XTX360 (http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-rad-xtx-360.html) is deep enough that the lower fin density is offset by the depth to still give a high area for heat dissipation without needing a jet engine to force air through it. In fact if you get 3 Noctua NF-F12s you can run a very quiet, efficient set up that will keep your CPU nice and cool.

I would dump the arctic silver that comes with that block and get yourself some PK1 thermal paste.

I have an EK bay spin reservoir but my next purchase will be one of their simple tube type ones...I have had to mod the bay res...the burbling waterfall noise was zen-garden like for 15 minutes but then developed into Chinese water torture!

kkn
Level 14
pump/res combo: its a combination og a pump and reservoar so you dont have to use a seperate pump and reservoar, that way you eliminate a tube lenght and fittings, and get it in to one place, you can get bay res or stand alone.
heres a few options: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c107/s152/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Pumps-PumpRese...
the coolant you want now as your new to this is pre mixed coolant, and mabye later you can start to mix your self whit DYE, or coils in it.
coolant: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/c337/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Coolant_-_Brand.html
just dont buy mayhems aurora coolant, since its made for show off on exibitions, it CAN clogg up the loop ( they say so on the web page of theirs its only for show off pc's )
rad: 2x120: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17622/ex-rad-458/Coolgate_Dual_120mm_High_Density_20_FPI_Heat_Exch... <- its got 20 FPI.
alphacools rad 3 x 120: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14918/ex-rad-336/Alphacool_NexXxoS_XT45_Full_Copper_Triple_120mm_R... <- this is 45mm thick, add 25mm from fans and you get 70mm ( 7 cm ) be shure you have the space in your case, meshure how far down you can go whit out hitting enny components and cables sticking out from the mobo.
that way you can deside how tick rad you can go with.
fans: you have PWM and normal fans, get fans that have high static preshure ( ( air preshure ) dont have to be RPM )
and get ones that have low current ( Amp )
corsair's : http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16042/fan-994/Corsair_Air_Series_SP120_High_Performance_Edition_Hi...
menny like em here on the forum, this have a preshure on 3.1 ( Static Pressure: 3.1 mm/H20 ) and low amp ( 0.18A ) and you can controll the voltage from 7V ( fans starts to spinn and low rpm ) to 12V ( max voltage and speed ).
PMW fans i have no experience whit.
if your interested you can look at NZXT's fan controller, they have lcd and touch screen, and whit that you can instal a inline temp to connect to the loop that way you can controll the temp on the water.
look at here and see what you like and give a word back: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g34/c17/list/p1/Bay_Devices-Fan_Controllers.html
temp sensor: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13163/ex-tub-891/Phobya_G14_Inline_Temp_Sensor_Coupler_-_2-Pin_711...
this is a nice one, just screw it in to the CPU block, or radiator or in or outlet on the pump/res and connect it to a fan controller for example ( must have temp reading on the controller ), whit this you dont need 2 fittings to connect it to the loop.

Mankz
Level 10
I haven't read everything, but do you already have a reservior for your loop?

I'd reccomend something like a bay-res or a smaller EK tube res.

Daskful
Level 7
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy week. Although I've spent some time looking into everyone's suggestions and I've learned a lot more about parts. I have also spent some time looking into videos and build logs that have similar things on their build as to what I want to create mine. Also, I want to include that I decided to upgrade my GPU and I'm pursuing on water cooling it. The water GPU I decided to go with is a EVGA GTX Classified 680, I'm going to look into whether I will go with the Hydro Copper block or something else like the EK block.

I'm thinking of doing something like this:

Although of course I won't be going as extreme as he is. But I'm talking about the setup of where things will go such as pump, etc. I originally thought that I wanted to put the pump at the basement of the 800D but I guess that isn't happening because there's an issue with installing it there. So, I'll place it on top of the hotswap.

I decided to go with Swiftech MCP655 pump because it seems like a future proof pump should I decide to pursue more water cooling components later on. As for radiators, I think I'm going to setup at least two of them: one 360mm radiator on the top and one 120mm radiator at the basement. As for which radiators, you guys have given me plenty of choices here that I find it difficult to decide :confused: But I'll work on that, soon.

As for the reservoir, I really want a tube-like that will be placed similar to the one on the video. But if not, the Swiftech Micro reservoir has received many praises. But going back to the Tube reservoir, it can be:
1.) EK Multi Option Res XK
2.) AquaComputer Aqualis ECO Scratch Resistance
3.) Or the bloody T-Virus from FrozenQ.

Then, there are fans. It really don't seem like it goes to an easy choice. There are plenty to choose from, but I don't particularly intend to spend that much money on them. I looked into the Noiseblockers and they're nearly $30 EACH. And I will need quite a few of them. I will probably go with a Phoyba Nano-G 120mm fans or Corsair SP fans (since they can be bought for in a pair for about $25). Also, I do not intend to place the radiator in a push-pull configuration.

And last but not least, I'm starting to lean on the Swiftech Apogee HD CPU block.

Edit:

My overall build should initially be:

CPU: i7-3930k
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Classified (still on to buy list)
Memory: Dominator Platinum 32gb (still on to buy list)
Boot Drive: RevoDrive 3 240gb
Games/Programs: Samsung 840 Series 500gb (still on to buy list)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1000w (planning to upgrade to AX1200i)
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Daskful wrote:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy week. Although I've spent some time looking into everyone's suggestions and I've learned a lot more about parts. I have also spent some time looking into videos and build logs that have similar things on their build as to what I want to create mine. Also, I want to include that I decided to upgrade my GPU and I'm pursuing on water cooling it. The water GPU I decided to go with is a EVGA GTX Classified 680, I'm going to look into whether I will go with the Hydro Copper block or something else like the EK block.

I'm thinking of doing something like this:

Although of course I won't be going as extreme as he is. But I'm talking about the setup of where things will go such as pump, etc. I originally thought that I wanted to put the pump at the basement of the 800D but I guess that isn't happening because there's an issue with installing it there. So, I'll place it on top of the hotswap.

I decided to go with Swiftech MCP655 pump because it seems like a future proof pump should I decide to pursue more water cooling components later on. As for radiators, I think I'm going to setup at least two of them: one 360mm radiator on the top and one 120mm radiator at the basement. As for which radiators, you guys have given me plenty of choices here that I find it difficult to decide :confused: But I'll work on that, soon.

As for the reservoir, I really want a tube-like that will be placed similar to the one on the video. But if not, the Swiftech Micro reservoir has received many praises. But going back to the Tube reservoir, it can be:
1.) EK Multi Option Res XK
2.) AquaComputer Aqualis ECO Scratch Resistance
3.) Or the bloody T-Virus from FrozenQ.

Then, there are fans. It really don't seem like it goes to an easy choice. There are plenty to choose from, but I don't particularly intend to spend that much money on them. I looked into the Noiseblockers and they're nearly $30 EACH. And I will need quite a few of them. I will probably go with a Phoyba Nano-G 120mm fans or Corsair SP fans (since they can be bought for in a pair for about $25). Also, I do not intend to place the radiator in a push-pull configuration.

And last but not least, I'm starting to lean on the Swiftech Apogee HD CPU block.

Edit:

My overall build should initially be:

CPU: i7-3930k
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Classified (still on to buy list)
Memory: Dominator Platinum 32gb (still on to buy list)
Boot Drive: RevoDrive 3 240gb
Games/Programs: Samsung 840 Series 500gb (still on to buy list)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1000w (planning to upgrade to AX1200i)
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 800D

First of all that is a very sloppy water cooling loop he put together. You want the shortest possible length of tubing between fittings without big loops. Try to keep your tubing as straight as possible from component to component. You may want to throw in some decent single or dual rotary fittings to achieve this. Also don't cross your tubing, it will look horrible. Think of doing a complete circle starting from the pump all the way around through your components and back to the res and pump. Of course it won't look like a real circle, it's just the idea of one.

As far as waterblocks for cpu and video you can't go wrong with EK.

I prefer bitspower compression fittings as they are high end but a bit expensive. Make sure you put a drain port at the lowest point in your loop. I would suggest using the top of the res as your inlet and get a top with more than one port as someone else mentioned.

Black Ice is a very good choice for a radiator brand as well. And you probably already know to make sure your res is above your pump or pumps. As far as tubing I like Tygon but your choice is good as well. I like Mayhems coolant but as stated make sure it is not one of the "for show" varieties. You want a long lasting coolant and add a biocide. Also as stated it's better to just get colored tubing and a colored res instead of using colored coolant and dyes.

The MCP655 pump is your best choice. A single pump is sufficient but if you have several video cards in the loop and several radiators and want extreme performance then go with dual pumps. I like the idea of dual pumps just for redundancy and peace of mind in case one pump fails. Some will say it's overkill but that's what I prefer. It's a good idea to get a pump top and mod kit for that pump to dress it up and make it look nice along with added functionality. Bitspower makes some good kits. There is also a nice res upgrade kit that allows you to mount a tube res directly to the pump top.

Noiseblocker makes very good radiator fans and also look nice. Noctua's are good performers but look like crap. If you don't mind the sound then you could also consider Corsair's high static SP120's. A good fan controller like a Lamptron will help you adjust any of your fans for noise and performance.

There is a lot more to say but I will leave it at that as those are the most important things in my opinion.

I'm currently waiting on the 900D case to come out to do another full watercooling setup with my new system in my sig. Then next year once we have some matured Haswell parts and next gen video cards I will upgrade again.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 gb 1866 8x8gb
2x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4 gb SLI
2x Intel 520 240 gb RAID 0 TRIMMED
2x Velociraptor 300 gb RAID 0
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Dell U3011 30 in. Monitor
Win 8 Pro x64