cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g53jw overclocking and overvolting?

reiyu
Level 7
i've been using setfsb for a while, and i don't seem to get past 157 on the slider.

i've also been using msi afterburner for the gpu and i've hit 800/1600/1500 for the clocks.

any other software that can do this properly? is there any way to raise the voltage of the cpu and gpu?
4 REPLIES 4

irdmoose
Level 10
I think MSI Afterburner can raise GPU voltage, but if it can't you can always try EVGA's Eleet. Eleet is pretty fiddly and easy to goof up though. I probably wouldn't bring the memory clocks on the GPU much past the stock setting since most applications aren't too affected by the memory speed these days. You might be able to buy a little more speed on the core clock if you turn the memory closer to the stock speeds.

As far as raising the CPU voltage, I haven't seen any utilities beyond what motherboard suppliers send with their boards (outside of doing it in the BIOS settings that is), and AFAIK Asus doesn't make one for the G5XXX/7XXX.

reiyu
Level 7
apparently you can't raise the voltage using MSI afterburner. that's what i already use.

irdmoose
Level 10
Yeah, it may be a limitation of the board. EVGA's Eleet might be able to do it, but overvolting laptops is a precarious task at best. Some would say it's territory where even angels fear to tread. I, personally, am hoping for the day when we can use a thunderbolt like port with a small external box with a dedicated power supply to house an external video card or three that then feeds the signal back to the internal display like the way Lucid's Hydra tech uses. Then we can have decent mobile gaming, and have performance for lan parties and such that rivals desktops.

reiyu
Level 7
If I get to see a tutorial on how to use Eleet, I would try walking into the territory where even angels fear to tread. You can say that I'm a daredevil. XD