cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ASK] VGA Onboard

kepoyoh
Level 7
why do most motherboards now use onboard VGA :(.
why is not it used to always rely on additional vga...??
6 REPLIES 6

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
kepoyoh welcome to the Asus ROG forums.

That's one reason why we bought x79/x58 systems. All these rarely have onboard video. The main advantage of X79/x58 is the additional PCIe lanes for (faster operation of) 3-4 discrete video cards in SLI or CrossfireX though. But in the upcoming Ivy Bridge platform with PCIe 3.0 native, this doesn't matter much any more. I only use one video card. Another advantage of x79 is I have a hexacore (6-core) CPU. I paid a big premium to get these features though. FYI.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The industry is slowly moving to a single unit....before long, discrete graphics and memory will be a thing of the past you will have a stack of silicon doing everything all together in one piece...

HalloweenWeed wrote:

That's one reason why we bought x79/x58 systems. All these rarely have onboard video. The main advantage of X79/x58 is the additional PCIe lanes for (faster operation of) 3-4 discrete video cards in SLI or CrossfireX though. But in the upcoming Ivy Bridge platform with PCIe 3.0 native, this doesn't matter much any more. I only use one video card. Another advantage of x79 is I have a hexacore (6-core) CPU. I paid a big premium to get these features though. FYI.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The industry is slowly moving to a single unit....before long, discrete graphics and memory will be a thing of the past you will have a stack of silicon doing everything all together in one piece...

I am currently confused look for a motherboard that does not use onboard vga as the previous series, most motherboards are now using onboard vga which I think are cool. and odors in the eye. whether the upcoming series requires no additional vga again like today.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

HalloweenWeed wrote:

does not interfere with the performance of memory onboard vga additional overclock.
as ram memory will be truncated to onboard vga ..?

lol101
Level 7
Current 1155 motherboard don't have onboard video, what you see on the board is just a connector. The video chip is actually located inside the processor and not on the board itself. So if you got a 1155 board with a VGA connector, and got a CPU without a video chip, then that VGA connector will not work.
it's like Asus Server boards with them SAS connectors, they won't work without a Asus PIKE card.
What you get with onboard video for 1155 is QuickSync and Lucid Hydra Virtu MVP

lol101 wrote:
Current 1155 motherboard don't have onboard video, what you see on the board is just a connector. The video chip is actually located inside the processor and not on the board itself. So if you got a 1155 board with a VGA connector, and got a CPU without a video chip, then that VGA connector will not work.
it's like Asus Server boards with them SAS connectors, they won't work without a Asus PIKE card.
What you get with onboard video for 1155 is QuickSync and Lucid Hydra Virtu MVP

what the onboard vga can reduce the resulting performance :confused: