cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 or G46?

Djask
Level 7
So, I'm still deciding on a gaming laptop. (probably buying in a month or so) Which would you guys reccomend is the best.

I don't mind the weight.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate
28 REPLIES 28

Vicodin
Level 10
I would have to say the G55 for many reasons. The main reason being, the G46 tends to come with an i5 processor. To pay for one with a i7 3630 like the G55 already comes with, would cost more than a G55. Not to mention the screen on the G55 has better resolution and the G 46 has that stupid nvidia optimus technology.

Vicodin
Level 10
Sorry about font, sent from phone...messed up

Zygomorphic
Level 17
G55 is an all-around better system, as @Vicodin has noted. The screen resolution alone is worth it, at least it would be for me. I would love the 14" form factor, but the 1366x768 resolution is too low for typing and programming.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic where did u get ur avatar
G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi

oh btw if you are getting it a month later, make sure you are getting the 900p display. IT WILL BE STUNTING for this size laptop
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

JwPwns wrote:
oh btw if you are getting it a month later, make sure you are getting the 900p display. IT WILL BE STUNTING for this size laptop

If by stunning you mean the same thing that Alienware has offered for a long time now.

Ok flat out if you carry it you will not know a diff. between the G55 and G46 unless you a 8 year old who weighs 56lbs or some hipster who wears skinny jeans. The extra inch on the screen is going to be something that's very nice. 900p on a 14 inch display will make the text and what not smaller so that might be a turn off and in some games you might have issues reading the smaller text. It will be clear but you will have to lean in and look at it. As for the 1366x768 display. It looks ok on a 14 inch laptop but still looks like crap for a system at this point.

If you have to have a G series i vote the G55. Yes the Alu on the G46 feels better but the G46 is just a bad gaming system no way around that or fancy phrasing it. Its just bad. If you want more bang for your buck in a 15 inch system with the specs to slap the G55 in the fact i would look at the lenovo IdeaPad Y500. Looks great i 7 3630qm 8 gigs of ram 1tb hdd and best of all dual GT 650m's in SLI and it is only $1,049. G55 will run you $1,199 and its thicker making it less portable. Then that gives you some money for a SSD upgrade and still be the same price as the G55.

JwPwns
Level 10
I would say the G55 too if you don't have to carry it around everyday. However I do love my G46 and upgraded it to a better cpu. The performance is identicle to the G55 if not "better" because of optimus. If you are getting a laptop for portable then optimus is a big PLUS for battery life and they did improve optimus so much . Unlike the first gen of optimus which was disappointing but that's not the case here. I can squeeze 5 - 6 hours of battery life out of G46 but for G55 i would be happy if it last 2 hours. It's all about how YOU use your laptop and only you can decide what matters more to YOU. I'm just giving you some facts that optimus is really good. not like the person above that havn't tried the new one yet 😛
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

JwPwns wrote:
I would say the G55 too if you don't have to carry it around everyday. However I do love my G46 and upgraded it to a better cpu. The performance is identicle to the G55 if not "better" because of optimus. If you are getting a laptop for portable then optimus is a big PLUS for battery life and they did improve optimus so much . Unlike the first gen of optimus which was disappointing but that's not the case here. I can squeeze 5 - 6 hours of battery life out of G46 but for G55 i would be happy if it last 2 hours. It's all about how YOU use your laptop and only you can decide what matters more to YOU. I'm just giving you some facts that optimus is really good. not like the person above that havn't tried the new one yet 😛

Is it a bad idea to carry big laptop like G55 everyday?!

adham_dehe wrote:
Is it a bad idea to carry big laptop like G55 everyday?!

It's good as a gaming rig but if you're going to be doing a lot of productivity work on it then you're going to need to be near an outlet. So it depends. Are you going to be gaming everyday or just typing documents? I have my gaming laptop for portable gaming but I also have a netbook for when I need long battery life.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…