cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53JW-XN1: Conflicting info on *actual* maximum RAM?

Retired
Not applicable
My question: Does anyone have an *XN1* with 16gb? , and if so can you provide a few details?

I've searched around the net about my g53jw-XN1. Newegg's specs and micron's scanning tool both say the max memory here is 8GB. However, I've found at least one post around the net saying it can be 16GB and others implying it could be done. Also, the chipset used (Intel HM 55) is the same for both the g53jw-A1 and for the XN1. My understanding is that the memory controller is on the chipset, and should be the same for both xn1 and a1, allowing 16 for both, but on newegg (for instance) the specs for xn1 say 8GB max, a1 is 16GB max. In short, wtf?

I know it's a gaming laptop, but I'm using it for some pretty memory-intensive business work too and can really use extra ram above the 6GB this thing came with (love me that win 7 prefetch).

Thanks for any and all help!
13 REPLIES 13

Chastity
Level 10
It depends on which CPU you have.
i5 = 8GB
i7 = 16GB (actually 32GB iirc with 8GB sticks and using Pro or Ultimate)

Home Premium is limited to 16GB
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Chastity wrote:
It depends on which CPU you have.
i5 = 8GB
i7 = 16GB (actually 32GB iirc with 8GB sticks and using Pro or Ultimate)

Home Premium is limited to 16GB

I have a g53jw-3de with i7 and win ultimate on a ssd. Are you saying if I can get my hands on 4X8gb sticks they will work?
This is litrally the only mention of this I have ever seen. Every other site seems to say 16gb max.

Where exactly did you hear this?

Thanks in advance
Andy

boomclart
Level 7
Will any linux os's take over 16Gb... I shouldn't be lazy and ask but I' going to anyway 😛

boomclart wrote:
Will any linux os's take over 16Gb... I shouldn't be lazy and ask but I' going to anyway 😛

yup. Windows has artificial limits. 64 bit Linux supports more memory than you can physically install.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

boomclart wrote:

Last I heard, the x86 linux kernel can support up to 16TB. I think you should be right for now, until Memory Cubes become commonplace - or if you are rigging up some custom insane unusual cluster.

Gorman wrote:
Last I heard, the x86 linux kernel can support up to 16TB. I think you should be right for now, until Memory Cubes become commonplace - or if you are rigging up some custom insane unusual cluster.

4 GB is the hardware limit for a 32-bit OS. 2^32 => 4 GB. Physical Address Extensions can tweak that a bit, but for all practical purposes, 64-bit will handle some insane amount of memory. 64-bit physical limit: 18.4E18 bytes=16 exbibyte :cool:. Just wait until Windows uses 32 TB just to load the OS...

EDIT: There are no software-enforced memory limits in the kernel, just whatever the kernel developers chose as the maximum. Aka, no Win7 Home Premium only using <=16 GB of RAM.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

X-ROG
Level 15
Intel only officially supports 16GB - and by extension so do we (it's their CPU rather than something we produce)- but you can run 32GB. This means it will work, but compatibility is not assured. People running 32GB on Sx models are not an exact indication of Jw's due to the slight differences in memory controller between the CPU generations, however it can be used as a guide: 1333CL9 quality memory brands. I strongly advise working with an online or local store that allows you to exchange, just in case.

With regards to a CPU upgrade - in theory you can do, but you'd have to match the TDP. You can't just drop in a faster chip that draws more power because the thermal solution and battery are very specifically designed. I must also remind you that it would invalidate the warranty as you'd open up more than the normal upgrade slots in the base.

Thank you. Awesome answer, just what i was looking for.

hello ppl.
I'd like to know how much RAM I can put in my computer?

Here are my specs

ASUS G53JW
- Windows ® 7 Professional 64bit
- 15.6 "(Full HD, Glare type)
- Intel Core i5 460m 2.53GHz
- NVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB DDR5 VRAM
- RAM 4096MB (2048x2) DDR3 1066
- Hybrid SSD 500G 7200 RPM (embedded 4G SSD)
- WLAN 802.11bgn (150mbit)
- Bluetooth
ASUS G53JW
- Windows® 7 Professional 64bit
- 15,6" (Full HD, Glare type)
- Intel Core i5 460M 2.53GHz
- nVidia GeForce GTX 460M DDR5 1,5GB VRAM
- RAM 4096MB(2048x2) DDR3 1066
- Hybrid SSD 500G 7200 RPM (embedded 4G SSD)
- WLAN 802.11bgn (150mbit)
- Bluetooth