cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BootMGR Missing

G4MER
Level 9
Greetings,

Woke up this morning walked into my living room to see on my screen Bootmgr missing. I found a way around it in EZmode in the bios and selecting my sdd drive.

How can I fix this?

My system crashed a week ago, I removed a bad HDD and used the SDD drive as the new boot drive and re-installed windows and drivers. it was working fine, heck better than before, much faster boot up and so forth. Now this, can anyone provide me with some advice, or help on how to best fix this issue?

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry if this is not the proper place for this post.
WINNER Of: iBUYPOWER / ASUS - GAMER PALADIN Z68

CPU - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
MoBo - Maximus IV Extreme-Z
ODD - BLU-RAY Reader Combo Drive
PSU - 850W Extreme Gaming Series Power Supply
VGA - ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II (1 GB)
Memory - 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory – Corsair Vengeance
Audio - ASUS Xonar DX
Networking - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Hard Drive - 60GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s – Single Drive

( I WAS A G4MER, WHEN G4MING WAS UNCOOL )
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Check in your boot tab, the HDD BBS Properties and make sure your SSD is selected as the primary Boot device

G4MER
Level 9
Thank You. I will give that a try right now.

Audio - ASUS Xonar DX

G4MER
Level 9
That worked. also updated the bios. Thanks. It seems to always be the simplest of things.

Audio - ASUS Xonar DX

I also have a Maximus IV Extreme Z, and I have a similar "problem"

In my boot tab if I go to the HDD BBS Properties and activated all my 3 HDD boot disks,
than in Boot Options Priorities I can only see and choose, the disk that is in the Boot Option #1 on the
Main menu BBS Properties. But why?

If I have all the disks actived on the BBS Priorities why I cannot choose the disk that I want for the first boot in the
Boot option Priorities?

ie, to choose the boot disk that I wish in the Boot option Priorities, first I have to go to the Main menu BBS priorities
and put that disk in Boot Option #1...

I do not know if this is the correct procedure but it's weird, I guess!

I've tried on the bios chip 1 (bios v.3510) and bios chip 2 (bios v.1004) and works the same way
even with different bios versions

Example:
All disks activated in the BBs Priorites

Than can only choose (in boot option priorities) the disk is the Boot option #1 on the BBs Prioritie...

G4MER wrote:
That worked. also updated the bios. Thanks. It seems to always be the simplest of things.

You're most welcome and it's not simple at all, 10+ years ago there was no "HDD BBS Priorities" sub-tab, you chose your boot order and that was it.

boyka wrote:
I also have a Maximus IV Extreme Z, and I have a similar "problem"

In my boot tab if I go to the HDD BBS Properties and activated all my 3 HDD boot disks,
than in Boot Options Priorities I can only see and choose, the disk that is in the Boot Option #1 on the
Main menu BBS Properties. But why?

If I have all the disks actived on the BBS Priorities why I cannot choose the disk that I want for the first boot in the
Boot option Priorities?

ie, to choose the boot disk that I wish in the Boot option Priorities, first I have to go to the Main menu BBS priorities
and put that disk in Boot Option #1...

I do not know if this is the correct procedure but it's weird, I guess!

I've tried on the bios chip 1 (bios v.3510) and bios chip 2 (bios v.1004) and works the same way
even with different bios versions

Example:
All disks activated in the BBs Priorites

Than can only choose (in boot option priorities) the disk is the Boot option #1 on the BBs Prioritie...

Basically, from what I can gather; is that the BBS Priority is an overriding setting that outweighs the standard boot order...so if you set a drive in BBS Priorities, you can only select it in the main boot tab...but, I could be wrong...it seems to be that way though

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Basically, from what I can gather; is that the BBS Priority is an overriding setting that outweighs the standard boot order...so if you set a drive in BBS Priorities, you can only select it in the main boot tab...but, I could be wrong...it seems to be that way though

I just think it's weird because if I have only one hard disk connected to the computer to install a clean
operating system, and one USB stick with bootable OS, I can not choose for example the USB stick
for the first boot device and the hard drive to second boot device, I can only choose a USB disk or
Hard disk in Boot option Priorities i can't selected this two devices...

So what can I do to install an operating system from usb stick? I can only select the usb stick for first
boot device via the shortcut key F8 during the boot to the OS installation and not through the bios?

Oh and thank you for replying mate,
cheers!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
If your USB stick is not coming up as a bootable device, it's either not setup correctly from whichever software you used to make the bootable stick...or your BIOS is being a pain lol. No worries for the reply, happy to try and help 🙂

Chiper
Level 7
I turned on my laptop today and it randomly said "BOOTMGR is missing" i turned it of turned it back on and pressed the F10 key i tried to reboot it and that wont work.
Tried many ways, at last I paid for Windows Boot Genius to fix my laptop problem. Lucky that there is not data loss.