Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Exclamation G73jh very slow and freezing

Hi !
    yesterday when i powered my G73, it took him about 6 minutes to boot to the desktop, and it was very slow and after 2 or 3 minutes it froze !! so i decided to format, but when i try to boot from a windows DVD or an USB it won't boot i just have a black screen with a white cursor blinking on the upper left side of the screen, when i boot to safe mode, it takes 5 minutes to the desktop and then display an error of "DCOM server" i click OK and the PC shuts down, in normal mode it displays me a random error every time i boot (dwm.exe or explorer.exe) and then it freezes, when i perform CHKDSK the PC shuts down at stage 1 (about 10%) when scanning the C: Drive ! please can you help me with that? is it the HDD?
    forgive my poor english
    thank you

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

It sounds somewhat like a failing HDD except for the fact that booting from a DVD or USB flash drive is also failing. Can your Windows DVD successfully boot on another computer?

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-othe...t-because.html discusses a similar issue involving a Windows Vista system infected with a TDSS Rootkit.

Also check out http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...f-717ba054fbab.

http://www.prevx.com/blog/139/Tdss-r...s-the-net.html discusses the TDSS Rootkit.

If I were in your situation, I'd run the latest TDSS Rootkit detection and removal utilities from Kaspersky or Symantec as a troubleshooting first step.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

i tried with a WinXP CD, it booted and said that windows is loading files and stuff but when it finished a BSOD appeared talking about hard drive and the error 0x0000007b

A STOP 0x7b is an "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". It may be you also have problems with your DVD drive. Try entering the BIOS, restoring default settings, then Save & Exit. Hopefully, that will allow you to boot from the WinXP CD.

Were you running XP on your laptop when the problem occurred?

What error do you get when attempting to boot from the USB flash drive? What file system did you choose to format this drive? If NTFS, try reformatting it as FAT32.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-12-2013 at 10:43 PM.

ROG Member Array

i restored the default settings in BIOS but still the same problem, and i was running Win 7 when the problem occured
    i forgot to mention that the first time the problem appeared an xbox 360 controller and a normal USB controller were pluged in the ports of the computer, that was the first time it took so long to boot the desktop, could those controllers have damaged something ?

New ROGer Array

how is connecter other usb device to same process, is it still occur and if you are not connecter USB device to boot, is it slowing?

Can you boot into your laptop normally or in Safe Mode and run long enough to download and scan your system with TDSSKiller as discussed in http://support.kaspersky.com/2663?vs=s88446#s88446?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lu@ASUS View Post
    how is connecter other usb device to same process, is it still occur and if you are not connecter USB device to boot, is it slowing?
    now it has a slow boot either with or without USB ports occupied !!

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Can you boot into your laptop normally or in Safe Mode and run long enough to download and scan your system with TDSSKiller as discussed in http://support.kaspersky.com/2663?vs=s88446#s88446?
    Unfortunately i can't :/

I just tried to boot with a Live Disk of FEDORA 18, it's working very well so i guess it's an HDD issue ! the G73JH has 2 HDD how do i determine which one is failing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zura View Post
    Hi i don't know why my replies are not displayed anymore in the thread, so i'm sending you this message, i can't download and run the TDSS rootkit remover :/this morning i booted from a FEDORA 18 LIVE DISK and everything went fine it booted very well but the computer shut itself down without any warning (happened two times) is it the HDD or something else?
    Unexpected shutdowns where the laptop just turns off like someone pulled the plug are typically related to overheating or power supply. They do not typically result from a defective HDD.

1) Can you boot your laptop with the battery removed? If not, I would suspect a defective power adapter.

2) Can you confirm the outlet you are using is properly grounded?
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-13-2013 at 12:18 PM.

ROG Member Array

Yes i can boot with the battery removed, and i don't think it's an overheating issue i don't sense any abnormal heat from the CPU or the GPU and i can power on the computer as soon as it shuts down (which is not possible in the case of an overheating GPU ) this time it booted for a longer time and i got access to my HDDs but as soon as i clicked on : install to hard drive the PC shuts down :/

UPDATE: now it shuts down when fedora finishes loading ... it starting to get weird
    UPDATE 2: i booted normally, a few minutes ago (now it's on the login screen waiting for the password) and the PC does not shut down so i think it's not an overheating issue
    Last edited by Zura; 03-13-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast