Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rockford
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    You should focus more on making sure the mounting pressure is even between the cooler and the IHS. Provided it is, a rice grain size of thermal paste in the center of the IHS will make its way wherever it's needed. Anything more than this, is making more out of this than situation than you should be.

Any cooler that is designed for the platform it is used on, should have a surface flat enough for good mating with the IHS. While the mounting mechanism should be reasonably idiot-proof with regards to mounting torque.
    Raja, yes..

But in fact, many coolers out there got a really poor mating, i mean really poor.. when you get them, brand new.

Blocks are often shaped like a ashtray (due to the grounding process), and to fill that void, a nap like a golf-boll might be good, since there are almost no physical contact in the center of the block/cpu..

2 flat surfaces, and very little paste is needed..
    Last edited by Rockford; 03-14-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Sorry not seen that myself (where there is poor contact due to stinky machining). If that were the case en masse, nobody would have decent temps. People blow things up out of all proportions.

The bases of some coolers are concave or bi concave so that the mating is good with adequate torque. This again comes back to making sure you apply the right amount of pressure across the block or heatsink.

Just use common sense = problem solved.

Rockford
    ground thats same block flat, and you get around 5c lower idle temp..

I think that is poof enough..

Problem solved..

And before that your CPU was at 105C right?

No real problem to start with dude.

Rockford
    We probably never is going to share the same sleeping bag, but please, dont get childish, and disrespectful
    Last edited by Rockford; 03-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Nothing childish in stating that most coolers don't need time spent on frivolous thermal paste application.

It's all about common sense.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array sectionate PC Specs
    sectionate PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula
    Processor8350 - 1090T
    Memory (part number)G Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9-4GBSR
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
    MonitorAcer GD235HZ - ViewSonic VX2439wm - SyncMaster P2350
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseHAF 932
    Power SupplyCorsair Professional HX850
    Mouse Zowie EC1 eVo
    OS Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

Someone did a review on the best way to do it and found that every way people say is the "correct" way all turned out with the same results. I'm trying to find the url
    Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Exactamundo

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

I've always used the "dot/pea" method and recently when I swapped between CPU's, I had seen someone here use a small thin line in the middle of their CPU for the paste, I figured i'd try that method and I haven't noticed a difference in temps at all, either way.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array sectionate PC Specs
    sectionate PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula
    Processor8350 - 1090T
    Memory (part number)G Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9-4GBSR
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
    MonitorAcer GD235HZ - ViewSonic VX2439wm - SyncMaster P2350
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseHAF 932
    Power SupplyCorsair Professional HX850
    Mouse Zowie EC1 eVo
    OS Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

I do pea size drops on my cpu. For my gpu I'll spread a thin layer. It also helps that I have beast mode fans on my cooler CPU 2812 RPM / CPU2 2722 RPM - Scythe Ultra Kaze

as Raja pointed out

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=2

Mounting Pressure

Probably one of the most overlooked and disregarded factors involved with properly mounting the cooler onto any processor is the amount of contact pressure applied between the mating surfaces. Compression will often times reduce the amount of thermal compound needed between the cooler and processor, and allow a much larger metal to metal contact area which is more efficient than having fluid weaken the thermal conductance. The greater the contact pressure between elements, the better it will conduct thermal (heat) energy.

Unfortunately, it is often times not possible to get optimal pressure onto the CPU simply because of poor mounting designs used by the cooler manufacturers. Most enthusiasts shriek at the thought of using the push-pin style clips found on Intel's stock LGA775 thermal cooling solution. Although this mounting system is acceptable, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Generally speaking, you do not want an excessive amount of pressure onto the processor as damage may result. In some cases, such as Heat-pipe Direct Touch technology, the exposed copper rod has been pressed into the metal mounting base and then leveled flat by a grinder. Because of the copper rod walls are made considerably thinner by this process, using a bolt-through mounting system could actually cause heat-pipe rod warping. Improper installation not withstanding, it is more ideal to have a very strong mounting system such as those which use a back plate behind the motherboard and a spring-loaded fastening system for tightening. The Noctua NH-U12P is an excellent example of such a design.

In all of the tests which follow, it is important to note that our experiments focus on the spread pattern of thermal paste under acceptable pressure thresholds using either a push-pin style mounting system or spring-loaded clip system. In most situations your results will be different than our own, since higher compression would result in a larger spread pattern and less thermal paste used. The lesson learned here is that high compression between the two contact surfaces is better, so long as the elements can handle the added pressure without damaging the components.
    Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast