cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Thermal Paste Application

JTTRI
Level 7
Hello ROG community,

I performed a few searches on the forums for any posts on thermal paste application but found quite the mixture of opinions. Several of the ROG articles offer the application method of applying a small dab and then using an old credit card/un-wanted business card/finger (wrapped in plastic) to smooth it out. An additional method I have read is the "pea drop" method in which you place a small pea sized amount of thermal paste (5mmx5mm) onto the CPU and let the pressure of the cooler application and heat spread it. Finally, the last method is a line method that Arctic recommends to use with several of its compounds.

I am seeking any sagely advice or words of wisdom/ and or opinion on the best way to apply thermal paste to a CPU or just any thermal paste wisdom in general. Currently I am leaning towards the "pea drop" method because I am far more worried about putting to much compound on (which I hear is bad) than to little.

Extra info for my own personal dilemma:
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i
Thermal Compound - Antec Formula 7 (diamond compound)

I hear this compound is thick as molasses on a snowy day so I do plan to heat it up beforehand to help with application. I know that the H100i has thermal compound on it but I plan to remove it and put on the Formula 7 as I believe it is most likely a higher quality compound than a stock compound. Plus, the formula 7 is just laying around since I bought it in an attempt to figure out the issue with my original H100i (pump didn't run) that I RMA'd. No use letting it gather dust right?:D
35 REPLIES 35

Chino
Level 15
Greetings, JTTRI! We meet again. LOL 😛

Personally, I use the rice/pea/dot/grain in the middle method. If we dissect a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU, we'll find a small die in the center of the chip. This is the source of the heat. True, when we put a heatspredder on top of it, it transfers or spreads out the heat to the entire portion of metal. Nevertheless the center of the heatspredder is still the hottest part because it's in direct contact with the CPU die. That's why a lot of us use the dot method. To make sure that the center is properly coated with thermal compound. Then when you apply pressure to the heatsink or CPU block, it spreads out to the other areas.

I remember reading an article ages ago that evaluated the different methods of applying thermal compound. I don't have the link at hand right now but you can google it. In summary, of all the methods tested, the best one was the dot method. The difference isn't big either, maybe 3-5 degrees. But hey, when you're overclocking, every degree counts! 😛

Jericho
Level 7
I just use the tried and true method of spreading out a paper thin amount of paste across the entire surface of the cpu. Then apply it to the heatsink surface and wipe it off with a paper towel leaving that dull sheen. Then mounting in place. That's the old Artic Silver method and has always worked well for me with whatever paste I use. I currently am using Prolimatech PK3 and my temps are great.

It really is just personal preference. As long as you cover the hotspot and don't put too much on then you are good.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 gb 1866 8x8gb
2x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4 gb SLI
2x Intel 520 240 gb RAID 0 TRIMMED
2x Velociraptor 300 gb RAID 0
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Dell U3011 30 in. Monitor
Win 8 Pro x64

Retired
Not applicable
My vote goes to, a thin cross, or a thin even layer..

cheers

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I like to put 5 dots on the CPU in the formation you find on a dice. The center blob larger than the outer 4. I then use the slight wiggle room of the heat-sink or block and LIGHT downward pressure to smooth out the paste. I take the sink off and look how its spreading and add maybe a touch more to get both surfaces covered with a nice layer out to the four corners. By nice, I mean well covered and with maybe a bit more paste than I would like!

I then take the sink off again and remove the layer entirely from the heat sink! Replacing it now on the full thin layer on the CPU and again wiggling with LIGHT downward pressure you should feel full contact capillary action stickiness. Place thumb screws and tighten half a turn at a time in diagonal opposite corners in rotation hand tight only.

Done! 😄

Mankz
Level 10
I put a little on the base of the cooler, and then wipe it off with a lint free cloth, was told at one time that this fills any micro cracks/dents in the base before application.

I've then always just put a small blob of AS5 or whatever and put the cooler on. Ive never had issues with temps, and this way works so its the on I use..

I think with paste there is no particular correct or wrong way, just what you find easy, and what works.

Retired
Not applicable
Great thread..

I agree with you Mankz

There are no right or wrong in this.......

Raja
Level 13
You should focus more on making sure the mounting pressure is even between the cooler and the IHS. Provided it is, a rice grain size of thermal paste in the center of the IHS will make its way wherever it's needed. Anything more than this, is making more out of this situation than you should be.

Any cooler that is designed for the platform it is used on, should have a surface flat enough for good mating with the IHS. While the mounting mechanism should be reasonably idiot-proof with regards to mounting torque.

Retired
Not applicable
Raja@ASUS wrote:
You should focus more on making sure the mounting pressure is even between the cooler and the IHS. Provided it is, a rice grain size of thermal paste in the center of the IHS will make its way wherever it's needed. Anything more than this, is making more out of this than situation than you should be.

Any cooler that is designed for the platform it is used on, should have a surface flat enough for good mating with the IHS. While the mounting mechanism should be reasonably idiot-proof with regards to mounting torque.

Raja, yes..

But in fact, many coolers out there got a really poor mating, i mean really poor.. when you get them, brand new.

Blocks are often shaped like a ashtray (due to the grounding process), and to fill that void, a nap like a golf-boll might be good, since there are almost no physical contact in the center of the block/cpu..

2 flat surfaces, and very little paste is needed..

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Anything more than this, is making more out of this situation than you should be.

Probably right but I like my pasting ritual! along with tea and crumpets it's one of my favorites. It's like dogs lying down some just lie down some like to do circles beforehand....