cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building new computer, help and opinions please

ST7_Devastator
Level 7
I have built a computer in the past, so I know a bit about the art but on this next build, I want some others' opinions to make sure I make the best decisions for both the rig and the budget...

Main uses of intended build: High resolution gaming, Video Editing, other everyday tasks...
Parts required: the whole system (Mobo, CPU. RAM, PSU, GFX, Case, HDD(S), Disc drive, etc)
Previous build information (list details of parts): FX-8120, 990FXA-UD3, adata premier DDR3 1600mhz 2*8GB, Sapphire HD7870 GHz, Cooler master GX750W, Cooler master HAF-X
Monitor resolution: 1080 * 1920 on 1-3 monitors
Storage requirements: Enough to be able to store a lot of videos, games etc... I thought maybe 2TB+?
Will you be overclocking: Not initially, but as I build confidence, I will venture there
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Nothing specific strikes me
Extra information about desired system: See Below

----------------------

* Budget: Im trying to keep it under $2450 New-Zealand dollars, as that is the maximum I want to spend.

* What that budget needs to include: I am going to build a completely new rig, so this is what I had in mind...
i5 3570k
Asus Maximus V formula
Corsair vengeance 4*4GB 1600MHz
Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Corsair GS700
Cooler master HAF-XM
Antec Kuhler H2O 620
Seagate 2TB barracuda SATA3
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

* What the main uses of the PC will be: High-Performance Gaming, Video Editing/rendering, Media playback, all other everyday tasks like internet browsing etc

* The spec of your current PC and whether you are re-using any parts from it:
The current specs of my PC are as follows, but I am creating a new one for the above purposes and want it to be better than my current one. I will not be using any parts from my old build
FX-8120, 990FXA-UD3, adata premier DDR3 1600mhz 2*8GB, Sapphire HD7870 GHz, Cooler master GX750W, Cooler master HAF-X

* The native resolution of your monitor: 1080 * 1920 on 1-3 monitors

* Whether you will be overclocking or not. As I have not been into this sector of the PC culture yet, I am not experienced in its ways, so Initially I wont be overclocking but as time progresses I can almost definitely see myself doing it.

* How much storage space you require: I am going to be creating quite a few videos and storing them, as well as many games and movies, so I was thinking that I would need 2-4TB of storage space?

* Do you have any special requirements? Just for it to be a high performance, reliable machine with some decent overclocking potential.

Any help/personal opinions would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, ST7_Devastator!

Before I give you my opinion, I'd like to know how serious are you with video editing? I mean will it be something you'll be doing a lot. Will you be doing gaming videos or working with them on a professional level?

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that... I will be using a gopro camera to record some movies (4-7 mins long) and also will be making some gaming vids all at 1080*1920...
Nothing commercial here 🙂

Chino
Level 15
I have a few recommendations.

Video editing will benefit from a faster processor and faster RAM. Something like an i7 3770k for the CPU and 2133MHz for RAM frequency. I don't know the prices for RAM in NZ, but if you find 2133MHz too expensive, 1866MHz will suffice.

You would definately want to put a SSD in your build. A SSD is by far the best upgrade or component you can have in any machine. Minimum you'd want a 128GB SSD for your Windows, a few applications and a few frequent games that you play. If you can muster the budget to get a 256GB, even better yet.

I think you mentioned that you'll be gaming on 3 monitors earlier, correct? Just so you have an idea. A single Sapphire HD 7970 OC should be able to play most, if not all, modern games with Ultra Settings at 1080p. Now if you want to game with 3 monitors, you would need at least two of them. Which brings me to the next aspect I'd like to touch: your PSU. A 700W will be able to handle two of them. But if you want to play it safe, I'd get at least a 850W unit. And if you'll be planning to add a third Sapphire HD 7970 OC, get a 1000W PSU.

How much difference does faster ram make in editing? I'll investigate into it and see how much the 2133 and 1886 are. As for the power supply, there are a few good ones around that aren't too costly, so will check them out aswell... What sort of performance would we be looking at for 2 x hd7970 oc vs 1?
The idea of an Ssd looks very promising... Will prob go for 256gb

Thanks

ST7_Devastator wrote:
What sort of performance would we be looking at for 2 x hd7970 oc vs 1?

It all depends on the resolution and the level of eye candy that you play at. For example, if you played BF3 with Ultra Settings at 1920x1080, you could easily achieve 60FPS with the Sapphire HD 7970 OC. That's on one monitor.

When you're gaming on three monitors, we're looking at something like 5760x1080. At that resolution, the Sapphire HD 7970 OC would get you something like 30-40FPS with Ultra Settings.

The important point here is what you consider playable. When it comes to FPS, it's a personal matter. While games are perfectly playable at 30FPS, some gamers would not settle for anything less than 60FPS. It all depends on your preference.